Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 with out license 
    C-Moto Noob
    hello
    I am not from China, but will visit china next month. Can I ride there with out license? and can I rent a bike for riding for a month?? as I want to enjoy the visit of mine with the bike

2. #2 Re: with out license 
    by law, a local chinese must have driving license (class E) and bike registered (valid insurance and etc). Bike renting service probably hard to find, better to borrow from some friend. Not sure about driving license transferring, probably not.

3. #3 Re: with out license 
    C-Moto Noob
    @ td,
    thanks for reply. one more question, Is there any test or guest license there?? may be my trip lengthens, so I can buy a bike, but what about license

4. #4 Re: with out license 
    jack i no intend to put out your passion. even all the legal stuff sorted out, if you never ridden in China, the messy traffic is far too dangerous for a total stranger regardless how experienced you are at home country. FIY, Hongkong is more likely to implement your plan, but i never ridden in Hongkong, so i shall let other speak.

5. #5 Re: with out license 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Jack, you will have to get a motorcycle license here. If you have overseas motorcycle license then it will make it somewhat easier for you to get the Chinese motorcycle license. If you don't have motorcycle license from overseas then it will be far more complicated which means you will have to attend a riding school etc. Also if you are coming to China on a L visa then there are restrictions, and it's likely you will not be able to get a motorcycle license at all, unless you are part of a motorcycle tour with a guide. Generally speaking only people with temporary resident visa (work visa) can apply for a motor vehicle license.

Do not be tempted to ride or drive without a Chinese drivers license, because if you have an accident (even it's not your fault) it will be your fault. Dealing with the traffic is complicated and not an easy task and knowing some of the road rules is important, so getting a driver's license should not be down played. Having the driver's license and the correct visa are just part of what's required to be able to buy a vehicle here if you want it to be in your name. Any legit and legal motorcycle rental company will require you to have a legal motorcycle riders license.

Do your homework and be 100% legal here. Sure there are plenty of people taking short-cuts and bending the rules, but that's much harder if you're an outsider/foreigner. I'd suggest even if you are well seasoned and experienced driver/rider that you just get yourself a bicycle at first and do some riding, since that will give a real sense and appreciation of how the traffic flow works, with all the different conflicting road users. Just my 2 jiao's worth.

6. #6 Re: with out license 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Dealing with the traffic is complicated and not an easy task and knowing some of the road rules is important
    the only rule I having my mind is not to hit someone or get hit by something.

Do not be tempted to ride or drive without a Chinese drivers license, because if you have an accident (even it's not your fault) it will be your fault.
    reminds me my early days of riding.

Sure there are plenty of people taking short-cuts and bending the rules
    that's why riding in this country is more excited, hehe.

get yourself a bicycle at first and do some riding
    I though the same thing. 2nd to that.

7. #7 Re: with out license 
    Jack, I recommend going to Tai*an (*=w), They have available western bikes for sale and recognize international driving licenses.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

8. #8 Re: with out license 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Jack, I recommend going to Tai*an (*=w), They have available western bikes for sale and recognize international driving licenses.
    Tai*an is surely very beautiful. However, don't know if there are enough roads for you to last over a week. There is a reason why it is more popular to bicycle around in Tai*an and why the best folding bike in the world is made by KHS Tai*an.

For the real die hard adventurer and those who must, you can try the recommendation at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...na-Top-14-Tips, also in this forum. To carry that out, you must look "obviously foreign". Ethnic Chinese won't make it.

Good luck.

9. #9 Re: with out license 
    C-Moto Noob
    @ all
    thanks for your replies, and helping me. I will surely try to go to Taiwan also (but will depend on company's schedule).

@ biker doc
    much helpful reply from you. I have also listened about the massive traffic of China, that's why I am excited to ride there :)
    but definitely I will follow all rules, as I can't afford any issue in front of my company, and fortunately, I have found a right person from Beijing, he agreed to give his bike to me for some days and also to guide me there. just waiting for 1 month to pass, and I will be there :)