Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    I saw recently a racing leather made for Sete Gibernau by Spidi, with a liquid cooling system inside, to keep him fresh for a Qatar race. Nice stuff, but not available for the mass....

2. #12 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    Interesting and useful information in the thread, thanks.
    I'm in the market for a full set of protective clothing for long distance touring. I see links to taobao which I believe is a web based market like ebay?
    (1) Are there places in Shanghai or Beijing where I can go to look at and try stuff on for correct fit and to check on the quality?
    (2) If so, how do the prices in China compare to the USA for good quality items?

3. #13 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    I found a jacket that is kindof open mesh so it lets the air through for cheap from a shop near the bike market here i Shanghai and similar pants. Then bought real pads to go in them. On top of that good helmets and real shoes. We had a couple (yes, a couple) of accidents here in the rain last week. And they held up fine. You wouldnt want to take a big slide on them but theyre good to hold in the real pads. Also picked up some of that special underwear in holland which helps cool you down. I really dont feel a huge difference between wearing gear and not. If it's hot and I have no gear I'm still sweating my tits off anyway. So it's ATTATT for me.

robtho, it's not cheaper here anyway thats for certain. If it's cheap it's shit. I bought the cheapest (good) riding shoes they had (on sale) for 1500 rmb and elbow and shoulder pads for 800. Jacket and pants both 600 (fake) but they did the job. If you buy from taobao be sure to buy from a good shop. There is one on pubei lu shanghai. You can find the link to their taobao account here in one of the threads about safety gear.

4. #14 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    I found a jacket that is kindof open mesh so it lets the air through for cheap from a shop near the bike market here i Shanghai and similar pants. Then bought real pads to go in them. On top of that good helmets and real shoes. We had a couple (yes, a couple) of accidents here in the rain last week. And they held up fine. You wouldnt want to take a big slide on them but theyre good to hold in the real pads which kick ass. If I wasn't wearing that stuff I'd be in hospital. Also picked up some of that special underwear in holland which helps cool you down. I really dont feel a huge difference between wearing gear and not. If it's hot and I have no gear I'm still sweating my tits off anyway. So it's ATGATT for me, unless I'm just going around the corner (isn't it something like 70% of accidents happen near you home, keeping in mind that 68 % of statistics are made up on the spot).

robtho, it's not cheaper here anyway thats for certain. If it's cheap it's shit. I bought the cheapest (good) riding shoes they had (on sale) for 1500 rmb and elbow and shoulder pads for 800. Jacket and pants both 600 (fake) but they did the job. If you buy from taobao be sure to buy from a good shop. There is one on pubei lu shanghai. You can find the link to their taobao account here in one of the threads about safety gear.

5. #15 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    Thanks corporal_clegg, I've had a look at taobao, we have a similar thing here in Japan, http://global.rakuten.com/en/ where I've found some good looking stuff at pretty reasonable prices so will probably end up buying through them for convenience.
    Take care on those wet roads, we don't want to see you hurting yourself just to field test gear for the forum.
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

6. #16 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robtho View Post
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein
    Oh I like that quote a LOT!

7. #17 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    about the taobao gear, I have bought a fake textile fox jacket with plastic pads for about 350rmb, and I have to say it wasn't one of the cheapest, It looked quite well, better than I would expect, I was wondering how they can make it for such a low price. I have it now for about a month or two, maybe 5 one day trips and it has just fallen apart without any reason. its not even stiches, just the fabric is going into pieces in couple of places. the same with fake alpinestars gloves. I saw some good looking leather alpinestars jackets, well on taobao just showing the example photo, but the prices were at two different sellers 280rmb and 750rmb. Anyway is much to cheap to do something good but I wonder where does the price difference come from
    JH-150GY-3

8. #18 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    and btw the report doesnt open anymore
    JH-150GY-3

9. #19 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    Filipu did you buy those gloves?

Ok, so I can assume that cheap stuff on taobao is fake. Got it. But what about HJC helmets? Are the ones for 400rmb also fake? They are more expensive in other places. It's one of the things that I'd prefer to have branded one ;)

10. #20 Re: leather, textile, mesh -- a sobering report 
    yes, they are crap, just thinking about something new. very uncomfortable, and the rubber part will fall apart soon. I tried rev'it gloves to compare. amazing. Fahni bought dragon riders (some chinese brand) gloves and he says they are comfortable and the price is about 250, I think I'll buy them. They have a shop somewhere east on line 1.
    JH-150GY-3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast