Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    With three or four new JH600s hitting the streets in Shanghai and two in Beijing (including a 600B sidecar) in addition to the many others around China, there's been a lot of private messaging about strategies for replacing the stock bazooka muffler, which sounds like a cross between a beehive and a sewing machine, with something giving a bit more throttle oomph and aural oompah. Not that the stock can isn't perfectly adequate. But I thought other Jialing buyers might want to know what's cooking.

JH600 pioneer Franki of course got the ball rolling by installing the Laser ProDuro muffler from Holland, installing one on his own bike and helping several of us to purchase them. We owe Franki a debt of thanks for his early mods.

Last week when I was in Beijing, the local Jialing distributor told me that the maker, Laser Exhaust Technology BV, now was distributing the ProDuros via a Ningbo company, and perhaps even making the cans in China. Another MCM member learned this independently by calling Laser in Holland, and being directed to the Ningbo dealer, where he reports getting a competitive deal and quick, friendly service.

Pfaelzer and I have separately chronicled our adventures installing the ProDuro HERE and HERE.

Last week the Beijing Jialing dealer, Zhang Haitao (aka Kai Jun) threw in a new twist, offering an oversized exhaust pipe modification that he said would substantially boost output. This is a jig-bent 42mm pipe to replace the stock 34mm pipe, selling for 850 rmb not including shipping or installation. They've done these with Jialing's stock bazooka can, and say this gives a performance improvement of 10-15%. I called Zhang and asked him whether there was any reason this would not work with the ProDuro, and he said as long as the Laser is no bigger than the stock can (and what could possibly be bigger??) there would be no issues -- apart from a bit of backfire, which he called "firecrackers", during engine braking. He marveled at the idea of his pipe with the Laser can, speculating that a Jialing so equipped might have a stop speed of 160kph! I've had mine up to nearly 140kph, but still 1k rpm below redline. I also have no interest in riding at 160kph, thought I'd always welcome a bit more punch through the torque curve....

Zhang's mod is described in several Chinese-language links, including THIS and THIS.

Here's an obviously coarse google translation to English of Zhang's offering:

JH600 modified exhaust pipes on the bold, scheduled to begin

Early, Hanjie students send a message "JH600 and of the exhaust pipe modification", see: http://www.joinbike.com/bbs/view ... & extra = page% 3D1

After Beijing announced the exhaust pipe service station converted assembly posts:
    http://www.joinbike.com/bbs/view ... & extra = page% 3D1

Recently, I Hanjie students to processing points regarding the implementation of a custom exhaust pipe:

JH600 original car exhaust pipe from the anterior, middle, tail section composition, we are bold customize the anterior and middle exhaust pipe diameters from 34mm to 42mm. Using 42mm diameter stainless steel tubing (304 18Cr-9Ni heat resistant steel), wall thickness 2mm. Finished appearance by polishing the exhaust pipe, all finished products, including: anterior and middle exhaust pipe, exhaust and engine interface seat, oxygen sensor interface (already soldered to the preceding paragraph above) and installation accessories.

Custom Price: ¥ 850 RMB / set
    Excluding installation cost and freight logistics.

Remarks:
    Processing point person in charge said that if the process to achieve full mechanization, need to invest more than 20 million repairing a three-dimensional automatic processing equipment, even the semi-automated equipment, inputs should be close to 100,000 yuan. At present, the factory does not intend to increase this type of special equipment.

Therefore, we had expected, mechanical batch processing mode, it is impossible to achieve, and only artificial way of cutting + welding, the maximum curvature for the anterior part of the mold, if found suitable, may be by mechanical bending. Finished pipe will do polished appearance, the basic no weld marks.
    Processing sites in the prices charged 750 yuan (price structure: materials 150 400 Work expenses, and large curvature bending and accessories processing 200).
    Journey to Beijing service station 100 service fee charge (service station to provide a JH600 placed in the processing point for processing location; service stations would have the actual control of each finished loading test).

By failing to mechanization, processing and prices higher than we expected. So please register early intention to purchase new friends, understand the price they like to place an order, please re-send text messages or email, qq to me, we intend to five tubes per batch got enough points on the notification process started. Finished product came out we will inform the riders of payment, foreign provinces and riders, we will arrange delivery logistics, freight.

Phone or SMS: 13911812678
    Email: lfzht@139.com
    qq: 1276647765

Thank you!
    Of course I'm kicking myself now for not knowing about this earlier; I may do this upgrade later, but for now I'm quite happy with the performance and sound of my stock exhaust with the ProDuro Sport muffler.

So now there's a relatively easy upgrade path that includes both the muffler and a custom exhaust pipe. One caution: Chinese motor vehicle law seems to frown on such modifications, so those of us who legally register our steeds could face repercussions when we go in for two-year inspections. Beijing authorities are said to be particularly anal about this, and have been known to withhold re-registration of bikes with substantial mods. Shanghai is said to be more relaxed. Not sure about other cities.

Zhang's contact can be found in the translation above. Here's how to reach the muffler distributor in Ningbo:

Laser Distributor
    Mr. Wang
    Mobile: +86 131 8188 0515

Enjoy the fireworks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    rendering pictur&#.jpg成品-20100607-1618..jpg025..jpg

We just ordered the pipe assembly to go with my Laser today based on this information from jkp. I will keep you posted once I get it installed on Big Blue. I will be out of country after this week so it may be end of the month.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #3 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I know two foreign guys from Laser that is based here. They travel often between the factory here and HK, as well as in EU. We've been trying to see if there's any chance of them making pipes for the 7-8 odd Dragstars we have down here.

4. #4 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    BD, are these guys seconded here permanently, or just to get the operation up and running? What do they have on the ground at present?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    Don't forget it is all very well getting a larger exhaust expansion, but you will probably need inlet side, i.e. carbie jet or injector change to match it and to be sure the fuel filter doesn't restrict and the spark matches if you really want extra 'ooomph'!

Not sure I would want 100 MPH on dirt tyres and suspension!

6. #6 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    BD, are these guys seconded here permanently, or just to get the operation up and running? What do they have on the ground at present?
    thanks!
    It's been awhile since I have seen them, but they'd already been here for around a year or more, which equates to around 2 years (the GM and Export Manager had been in the country for some considerable time before I meet them). The operations have already been up and running for some time before I became aware they were right on the doorstep - they're manufacturing exhausts for export. I'd discussed with them the chances of laser producing some exhausts or slip on mufflers for the Dragstars but it seems it couldn't be done. It sounds as though they have and are only manufacturing a portion of their range here (referring to all their China manufacturing operations not just Ningbo). They have the tooling, and so forth but they're into mass production and not interested or in a position to do small limited runs. Our group wanted like 6 pairs of exhausts or slip-on mufflers (6 pairs = 12 in total), but nothing came of it, despite my asking the guys several times. Each time I'd see either of the Laser guys they'd say they knew we wanted the pipes and they were attempting to see if it was possible.

I know that you lot (JH600's starting with Franki) have been buying and fitting laser mufflers with some slight modifications, which is pretty fortunate that you can take something off the shelf, which can't be done for the Dragstars unfortunately.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-05-2010 at 05:56 AM.

7. #7 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    The Lasers are technically a "slip-on" muffler, and come in various flavors to fit the exhausts of a range of popular bikes. Alas, Jialing is not one of them. Hence the need for a welder. If you bring a welder to the party, is there something else about the Laser that makes it incompatible with the Dragster?

In fact, my Laser remains a "slip-on", and is only bolted in place, not welded. Mister Muffler Man simply created and added the correct sized boss and welded it beautifully and seamlessly to the end of my existing pipe. We then had to create an adapter by which it could be strapped to the frame.
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Don't forget it is all very well getting a larger exhaust expansion, but you will probably need inlet side, i.e. carbie jet or injector change to match it and to be sure the fuel filter doesn't restrict and the spark matches if you really want extra 'ooomph'!
    Jape, though I've not added the oversized pipe between my manifold and Laser exhaust, I did not make any changes to the injection system. Nor did the guys in Beijing who are adding the oversized pipe between the manifold and the stock bazooka.

It should be noted here that the Jialing's fuel injection system is from Bosch, and Jialing has promised a Bosch-provided upgrade to the software/firmware in October, which will address some issues, including some throttle hesitation in some circumstances. The upgrade will be provided to any JH600 owner who wants it. I discussed the implications of this upgrade with Zhang Haitao in Beijing, and he assured me -- on the basis of what specific knowledge I do not know -- that the Bosch ECU upgrade will not be affected by the oversized pipe, regardless of whether it's used with the stock bazooka or other aftermarket can.

Your view of this question does sound to be based on specific knowledge, and I have heard of this concept of "tuning" the electronic fuel injection system on some bikes. I don't know what is possible with the Bosch system. Can you cite any public references?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    The Lasers are technically a "slip-on" muffler, and come in various flavors to fit the exhausts of a range of popular bikes. Alas, Jialing is not one of them. Hence the need for a welder. If you bring a welder to the party, is there something else about the Laser that makes it incompatible with the Dragster?
    In fact, my Laser remains a "slip-on", and is only bolted in place, not welded. Mister Muffler Man simply created and added the correct sized boss and welded it beautifully and seamlessly to the end of my existing pipe. We then had to create an adapter by which it could be strapped to the frame.
    Unfortunately cruisers is not one of the type of exhaust products that Laser are servicing as they manufacture exhausts for road/sport bikes & scooters. We'd been hopeful that they (Laser) might have been willing to experiment with our collection of Dragstars to make sets of pipes or slip-ons etc. given they have the tooling and know-how but it never came to fruition. The Dragstars have a particular look, and require someone with a pipe bending machine, know-how and the right welding skills etc to make suitable straight pipes with relevant bends etc so the pipes are of equal length overall to provide the necessary back pressure and remove run-on or the pipes are connected with a balancer. Otherwise aesthetically nice looking slip-ons mufflers would do the job, which Laser don't do for cruisers. At the end of the day it hasn't happened for us with Laser. One of the guys in our group did put some sport orientated slip-on cans and they looked ugly fugly.

10. #10 Re: Jialing JH600 muffler & pipe upgrade 
    Can you cite any public references?
    thanks!
    The nearest to a 'public reference' is the conversation I had about this recently with a retired race tuner/mechanic for a drag bike team, in the local cafe, sorry. He talked about flow through filters, airflow sensors and more. Seemed to think a lot of such 'pipe' mods just 'sound' better. But hey, you are the man on the bike, if it works ...

If they officially tell you the flow sensors and so on will adjust for it I guess they expect and know about the very large horsepower increase available of 15% cited above, and obviously then there are no fuel restrictions in a any area such as filters, inlet etc.to worry about, thus it must already be engineered and mapped within a large tolerance. Maybe it is yet another case of emissions restrictions detuning a normal bike set-up to such a ridiculous extent and being recovered by a simple modification?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast