With three or four new JH600s hitting the streets in Shanghai and two in Beijing (including a 600B sidecar) in addition to the many others around China, there's been a lot of private messaging about strategies for replacing the stock bazooka muffler, which sounds like a cross between a beehive and a sewing machine, with something giving a bit more throttle oomph and aural oompah. Not that the stock can isn't perfectly adequate. But I thought other Jialing buyers might want to know what's cooking.

JH600 pioneer Franki of course got the ball rolling by installing the Laser ProDuro muffler from Holland, installing one on his own bike and helping several of us to purchase them. We owe Franki a debt of thanks for his early mods.

Last week when I was in Beijing, the local Jialing distributor told me that the maker, Laser Exhaust Technology BV, now was distributing the ProDuros via a Ningbo company, and perhaps even making the cans in China. Another MCM member learned this independently by calling Laser in Holland, and being directed to the Ningbo dealer, where he reports getting a competitive deal and quick, friendly service.

Pfaelzer and I have separately chronicled our adventures installing the ProDuro HERE and HERE.

Last week the Beijing Jialing dealer, Zhang Haitao (aka Kai Jun) threw in a new twist, offering an oversized exhaust pipe modification that he said would substantially boost output. This is a jig-bent 42mm pipe to replace the stock 34mm pipe, selling for 850 rmb not including shipping or installation. They've done these with Jialing's stock bazooka can, and say this gives a performance improvement of 10-15%. I called Zhang and asked him whether there was any reason this would not work with the ProDuro, and he said as long as the Laser is no bigger than the stock can (and what could possibly be bigger??) there would be no issues -- apart from a bit of backfire, which he called "firecrackers", during engine braking. He marveled at the idea of his pipe with the Laser can, speculating that a Jialing so equipped might have a stop speed of 160kph! I've had mine up to nearly 140kph, but still 1k rpm below redline. I also have no interest in riding at 160kph, thought I'd always welcome a bit more punch through the torque curve....

Zhang's mod is described in several Chinese-language links, including THIS and THIS.

Here's an obviously coarse google translation to English of Zhang's offering:

JH600 modified exhaust pipes on the bold, scheduled to begin

Early, Hanjie students send a message "JH600 and of the exhaust pipe modification", see: http://www.joinbike.com/bbs/view ... & extra = page% 3D1

After Beijing announced the exhaust pipe service station converted assembly posts:
http://www.joinbike.com/bbs/view ... & extra = page% 3D1

Recently, I Hanjie students to processing points regarding the implementation of a custom exhaust pipe:

JH600 original car exhaust pipe from the anterior, middle, tail section composition, we are bold customize the anterior and middle exhaust pipe diameters from 34mm to 42mm. Using 42mm diameter stainless steel tubing (304 18Cr-9Ni heat resistant steel), wall thickness 2mm. Finished appearance by polishing the exhaust pipe, all finished products, including: anterior and middle exhaust pipe, exhaust and engine interface seat, oxygen sensor interface (already soldered to the preceding paragraph above) and installation accessories.

Custom Price: ¥ 850 RMB / set
Excluding installation cost and freight logistics.

Remarks:
Processing point person in charge said that if the process to achieve full mechanization, need to invest more than 20 million repairing a three-dimensional automatic processing equipment, even the semi-automated equipment, inputs should be close to 100,000 yuan. At present, the factory does not intend to increase this type of special equipment.

Therefore, we had expected, mechanical batch processing mode, it is impossible to achieve, and only artificial way of cutting + welding, the maximum curvature for the anterior part of the mold, if found suitable, may be by mechanical bending. Finished pipe will do polished appearance, the basic no weld marks.
Processing sites in the prices charged 750 yuan (price structure: materials 150 400 Work expenses, and large curvature bending and accessories processing 200).
Journey to Beijing service station 100 service fee charge (service station to provide a JH600 placed in the processing point for processing location; service stations would have the actual control of each finished loading test).

By failing to mechanization, processing and prices higher than we expected. So please register early intention to purchase new friends, understand the price they like to place an order, please re-send text messages or email, qq to me, we intend to five tubes per batch got enough points on the notification process started. Finished product came out we will inform the riders of payment, foreign provinces and riders, we will arrange delivery logistics, freight.

Phone or SMS: 13911812678
Email: lfzht@139.com
qq: 1276647765

Thank you!
Of course I'm kicking myself now for not knowing about this earlier; I may do this upgrade later, but for now I'm quite happy with the performance and sound of my stock exhaust with the ProDuro Sport muffler.

So now there's a relatively easy upgrade path that includes both the muffler and a custom exhaust pipe. One caution: Chinese motor vehicle law seems to frown on such modifications, so those of us who legally register our steeds could face repercussions when we go in for two-year inspections. Beijing authorities are said to be particularly anal about this, and have been known to withhold re-registration of bikes with substantial mods. Shanghai is said to be more relaxed. Not sure about other cities.

Zhang's contact can be found in the translation above. Here's how to reach the muffler distributor in Ningbo:

Laser Distributor
Mr. Wang
Mobile: +86 131 8188 0515

Enjoy the fireworks!