Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle 
    I would like to have a diesel motorcycle because of torque and good mileage!!

i have had a little experience with Indian diesel Royal Enfield, it was over vibrating, lots of smoke from the engine as its nature of diesel engine to give smoke but of cause it was an old engine. Mileage..wow!! its had very good gas mileage and lots of torque.

With new technology i believe this is a an excellent bike to have not to mention it has Turbo!! I will love the turbo sound and pppsss!!! from a blow valve!!

2. #12 Re: Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Holy sh*t, Britster, that was quite a post! Don't hold your breath on China coming up with anything innovative; there are no companies in China that compare to an innovative firm like Hayes. Maybe someday.

But about those 214 diesel bikes sold to the US Marines, they sure look like the repurposed Kawasaki KLR650s that we've been hearing about for years now. The diesel KLR650 uses a modified version of the Kawasaki engine, not a completely different engine like the one detailed in your post. I'm confused.

cheers
    I think this is the bike you remember? http://www.mbike.com/magazine/2010/0...types-of-fuel/

3. #13 Re: Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I think this is the bike you remember? http://www.mbike.com/magazine/2010/0...types-of-fuel/
    Yeh,that's the modified Kawasaki KLR650 with the latest Hayes Diesel Technology (HDT) USA engine, that I posted about.

New military bike can run on seven different types of fuel

Posted by BushA on August 9, 2010

Category: Motorcycle,New bikes

Military vehicles usually have impressive technical specification, but the HDT M1030-M2 670cc JP8 is simply a hell of a machine. Don’t let the charming name deceive you, the military motorcycle is as tough as a two-wheeler can be. The M2 is based on the 2004 M1 which was developed and produced for the U. S. Marines. The engineers at HDT have refined the motorcycle, and the result is the new M2.

The mercenaries' new favourite

The military motorcycle features a 670cc single-cylinder engine which is a standing alone motor even in its category. The JP8 utilizes HDT’s fourth generation heavy fuel engine which is capable of operating on different types of petroleum (JP8, JP5, JP4), aviation fuel (AVTUR, JET-A1), Diesel and even Biodiesel. The engine has a peak power of 33hp and 53Nm of torque which enables a top speed of 95mph and a 9,7 second-acceleration from 0 to 60mph. The motorcycle can traverse water 2ft deep and has a range of over 300 miles. The engineers have refined the chassis and developed a whole new swingarm and a 5-speed transmission. Despite the military status, the bike has an exhaust system that meets the noise and emission regulations while still maintaining peak performance.

The M2 has a price tag of $18,500 but there’s already a significant waiting list of survivalists, mercenaries and prospectors.

HDT M1030-M2 670cc JP8 2010

Oil/water cooled, 670cc, Single
    Torque: 53 Nm (5.4 kg-m) @ 3300 rpm (cranksh)
    Final drive: Chain
    Top speed: 152 km/h
    Dry weight: 176 kg
    Category: Offroad
    Tags: Cross, Enduro

Add to garage view 1 owner
    Add to favesNot faved
    Write review no review
    Get embed code
    Share this page

The HDT M1030-M2 670cc JP8 2010

The HDT M1030-M2 670cc JP8 is the latest incarnation of the superlative military motorcycle standing alone as the only military motorcycle capable of operating on JP8, JP5, JP4, AVTUR, JET-A1, Diesel and even Biodiesel. Evolved from HDT’s M1030-M1 originally developed and produced for the U.S. Marines in 2004, the M1030-M2 670cc JP8 utilizes HDT’s fourth generation heavy fuel motorcycle engine with patent pending MAC-Ci Advanced Multifuel Technology producing 20% more power over previous generations. The M2’s refined chassis with newly engineered swingarm improves handling while its 5 speed transmission and updated suspension enhance ridability. All new high performance illumination including standard IR and blackout lighting improve tactical performance. An updated exhaust system meets more stringent noise and emission regulations while still maintaining peak performance.

Engine and transmission

Engine type: 1 cylinders, 4-stroke, Single
    Displacement: 670 cc (40.94 cubic inches)
    Cooling system: Oil/water cooled
    Torque: 53 Nm (5.4 kg-m) @ 3300 rpm (cranksh)
    Throttle: Cable operated
    Valves
    Valves per cylinder: 4
    Fuel and ignition
    Sparks per cylinder: 1
    Fuel supply system: Fuel injection
    Engine mounting: Transverse
    Lubrication system: Wet sump
    Gear box: Manual 5-speed
    Clutch: Wet, cable operated
    Final drive: Chain
    Starter: Electric
    Dimensions
    Physical measures
    Length: 2296 mm
    Width: 960 mm
    Height: 1219 mm
    Wheel base: 1481 mm
    Ground clearance: 211 mm
    Weight
    Dry weight: 176 kg
    Chassis and suspension
    Frame type: steel, Double cradle frame
    Front
    Suspension: Cartridge
    Brake: Single Disk, Ø280 mm
    Rear
    Suspension: twin shock
    Brake: Disk, Ø240 mm
    Other
    ABS available: No
    Acceleration (0-100 km/h): 9.7 sec
    Top speed: 152 km/h
    Fuel capacity: 14 l
    Number of riders: 2 persons

The M2 has a price tag of $18,500 but there’s already a significant waiting list of survivalists, mercenaries and prospectors.

Well there is obviously a Market for a rugged, tough Motorcycle with decent performance and fantastic torque, and incredible fuel consumption - that can be petroleum (JP8, JP5, JP4), aviation fuel (AVTUR, JET-A1), Diesel and even Biodiesel.

I am sure if the Chinese Motorcycle Manufacturers went after this Market, and geared up for it, they could produce something similar, for significantly less than $18,500?

The HDT MD670F Diesel Motorcycle

http://www.dieselbike.net/militaryproduction/militaryproduction.htm

The new civilian issue 670cc HDT multi fuel motorcycle, the MD670F. Adventure touring could change forever if these hit the road.

Based on a Kawasaki KLR650 the 584cc engine is designed to run on either diesel or aviation kerosene. Some parts from the original engine, such as the generator, have been used on the new machine in order to save money but essentially this motorcycles engine is completely new. This makes this machine completely unique, it being the first purpose built diesel motorcycle engine ever built.
    The new KLR Diesel eclipses the older style generator bikes.
    With a range of 120 miles per gallon the bike develops 33ftlb of torque and has a top speed of 80 MPH.
    A nice close-up of the engine.
    Yours truly gets to grips with a prototype Diesel KLR.
    As you can see from the above picture, those great guys at R.M.C.S. invited me along to see the new machine and even went so far as to let me loose on it. I completed a route of around 5 to 6 miles, in damp conditions, circling the nearby town before returning. I can report that the bike performed and handled well as I shifted up through the five gears and got it up to speeds in excess of 70 M.P.H. down the local bypass. The engine revved very freely up tp 5,500 R.P.M. and being water cooled was surprisingly quiet for a diesel. The harsh knock normally associated with such engines was absent to be replaced by a muffled thumping only marginally louder than a normal KLR. Indeed, I suspect this machine, whilst running, could easily pass unnoticed in amongst a group of similar petrol bikes.The only givaway may be the actual speed at which it ticks over. It is noticably slower.
    I did not get to take the bike off-road though but the 5 new gears seemed very well ratioed to cope with any eventuality. I think the 584cc Diesel engine's output can be compared to that of a smaller petrol machine with added low down grunt. I was told that some riders had felt excessive vibration but I experienced nothing until the engine reached its highest revs. Even then it did not seem unduly troublesome. Anyone expecting the engine to be heavy will be pleasantly surprised. Compared to others of a similar capacity it is compact and lightweight and perfect for a motorcycle. I'm told the many hours of testing have gone well and the future is looking exceedingly bright for this bike.
    I must say it's one thing to read that this machine has a totally new engine and quite another to actually get you hands on it. You begin to realise just what these guys have done in designing and building this engine from scratch. After almost ten years in the making it's great to see this project coming to fuition. This kind of venture is incredibly expensive and it has to be done right if it's to make a market for itself. I'm pleased to report that this rider gives it the thumbs up and looks forward to the day he can get one for keeps.
    Lastly a big thank you to the guys at R.M.C.S. (you know who you are) for giving the author of these humble pages a day out to remember.
    Last edited by Britster; 03-09-2012 at 02:52 AM.

4. #14 Re: Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Holy sh*t, Britster, that was quite a post! Don't hold your breath on China coming up with anything innovative; there are no companies in China that compare to an innovative firm like Hayes. Maybe someday.

But about those 214 diesel bikes sold to the US Marines, they sure look like the repurposed Kawasaki KLR650s that we've been hearing about for years now. The diesel KLR650 uses a modified version of the Kawasaki engine, not a completely different engine like the one detailed in your post. I'm confused.

cheers

JKP,

http://www.americanrider.magnify.net...el-Motorcycles

Watch that Video from 2:30, where "Reg Kittrelle talks with Fred Hayes of HDT USA "

Initially HDT USA delivered over 500 x KLR650 'Gas' bikes to USA Marine Corp from 1999-2002.

The Marine Corp is now sending those bikes back to HDT USA, for re-manufacture, and retrofit using the NEW HDT Diesel engine.

http://www.dieselbike.net/militarypr...production.htm

Download the current PDF document for this bike:
    Previous PDF's for earlier versions of this motorcycle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/au...yt&oref=slogin

Handlebars
    Diesel-Sipping Motorcycle for the Marines

Dexter Ford for The New York Times

Marine Kawasakis are converted to diesel power so they can burn the military's universal fuel.

By DEXTER FORD

Published: February 24, 2008

THE United States Marine Corps, legendary for doing more with less, has used dual-purpose motorcycles for scouting, messenger service, convoy control and military police work.

But the motorcycles sold today for use on-road and off have a big drawback for military service: they use the wrong fuel.

Other American and NATO military machines, from diesel generators to stealth bombers, run on JP-8 to simplify fuel supply logistics. While JP-8, a formulation of jet fuel similar to kerosene and diesel fuel, works fine in those engines, commercially available motorcycles require gasoline.
    That situation presented an opportunity for Fred Hayes, chief executive of Hayes Diversified Technologies, a military contractor in Hesperia, Calif., that has built specially adapted motorcycles for the Marines and the Army Special Forces for more than two decades. The bikes are modified to run in the harshest environments on earth with special lighting and more rugged suspensions and tires.

When the Marines requested a motorcycle that would run on JP-8, other military contractors proposed outlandish turbine-powered machines. But the Marines wanted a bike that would actually work, and soon, at a reasonable cost. Hayes won the contract.

The resulting HDT M103M1 uses the chassis, a few engine components and all the internal transmission parts of the Kawasaki KLR650, a workhorse capable of anything from daily commuting to Sahara exploring. But the Marine machine’s major engine components are all new, built for diesel service.

The difference was apparent the instant I thumbed the starter button. In place of the gasoline-powered KLR’s anxious idle, the Marine machine came to life with the low clatter of a London taxi.

In contrast to a gasoline engine, which responds instantly to the throttle, a blip of the twist grip resulted in — well, not much. It took a good three seconds for anything significant to happen.

On a half-hour test ride, the M103M1, though sluggish at first, gathered speed with dogged insistence. The footpegs and handlebars buzz as the engine revs — the counterbalancer that controls vibration in the stock KLR has been omitted to save weight and reduce complexity. Shifting through the five-speed gearbox gets the M103M1 past 90 miles an hour, a speed it will hold, apparently, until the end of time.

One of the great advantages of the M103M1’s diesel engine is its efficiency. At a steady 55 m.p.h. it gets 96 miles a gallon, according to Hayes, about twice the mileage of the gasoline engine.

This high-mileage machine is also coveted by civilians who crave the fuel economy of the world’s only production diesel motorcycle. But being a small, family-run company, Hayes is already working overtime to satisfy the Marines’ need for the M103M1. So if you want to pilot this diesel machine anytime soon, your local Marine recruiter is the only person who can help you.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96587

Re: Diesel KLR

There was talk on Craig Vetter's Web site this weekend that his buddy Fred Hayes says they are still trying to get the engine certified in the US to run on USA Highways. They have to have that before they can offer it to US Citiens.

But, I read this summer that the KLR Diesel Production was being moved to India.
    Out sourced like everything else in America.

BTY, Fred Hayes rides his own personel Diesel KLR all over the West Coast around Carmel California.
    He hangs out with the Vetter bunch a lot.

I'd love to build a streamliner KLR with one of Fred motors in it.
    Think of the possibilities.

Once I get my Diesel Tiger conversion running, I'm going to take it to Carmel and run it in one of Craigs challenges.

Should be a hoot.

Last edited by Curtis : 10-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.

5. #15 Re: Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    The Marine Corp is now sending those bikes back to HDT USA, for re-manufacture, and retrofit using the NEW HDT Diesel engine.
    Damn, how stupid is that? Rather than retrofitting them, they should sell the old bikes (including one to me), and make new ones with the new engine. No wonder the military budget is through the roof....

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12