Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hi folks

1. #1 Hi folks 
    Hi There

new here obviously :) ...

I may be posted to Shanghai in the next few months ...

a few questions that perhaps someone here may be able to assist with

Firstly is there any classic racing in China ? suitable for a 70s Triumph

second if so and if not are track days available in Shanghai or nearby ?

third ... how much effort is it to get a classic racer into China ?

The bike is a 1972 Rob North Trident ...

many thanks

steve

2. #2 Re: Hi folks 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome snibor.

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Chinese Motorcycling Zone!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination, and leave your cherished expectations behind. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. A dimension where everything you believed was true about motorcycling no longer holds. A 1972 Rob North Trident might as well be a fish riding a bicycle. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. Just not quite what you expected. You've just crossed over into... the Chinese Motorcycling Zone.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge, where all that should be easy is difficult, and all that should be difficult is, well, even harder. This is the dimension of imagination -- where we imagine a less restrictive future, and lust for a more permissive past. It is an area which we call The Chinese Motorcycling Zone.

Welcome!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Hi folks 
    nice welcome :)

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination, and leave your cherished expectations behind."

i could do with some of that what ever it is you are on :)

4. #4 Re: Hi folks 
    Well, that was just a metaphorical way of breaking the unpleasant news to you -- that it's darn near impossible to bring a non-new bike into China. MCM is a tremendous repository of knowledge and up-to-date advice about al things motorcycling in China. One recent post reported on a 1 July regulation that flat-out prohibited import of bikes that are not new. Imports of new bikes are subject to duties of 100% or more, and some cities such as Guangzhou ban bikes outright. Shanghai follows a policy of restriction. There's a limited list of bikes that can be legally registered, and these are in two classes -- those that are restricted to parts of the city outside the inner ring road and those that want to ride within the ring road, which of course includes the central business district. The non-CBD Hu C plate will cost you maybe 20,000 RMB, while the Hu A plate is currently fetching 42,000 RMB or more. Yes, that's 12,000 more than I paid for my Jialing JH600.

There are a couple of tracks in the Shanghai suburbs, including a world-class Formula 1 circuit. And there are people, also in our forum, who can get you on the track -- more likely on one of their gray-market bikes than on your own.

My intention is not to frighten or depress you. This is simply the hand we are dealt. There are a growing number of us in Shanghai and many other cities who are riding daily, and enjoying the experience immensely. But, as I said in the intro, you need to check all expectations of "the way it works at home" before you arrive. Riding here is not like anywhere else. It's a blast, but pretty otherworldly.

Care for a toke?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Hi folks 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Well, that was just a metaphorical way of breaking the unpleasant news to you -- that it's darn near impossible to bring a non-new bike into China. MCM is a tremendous repository of knowledge and up-to-date advice about al things motorcycling in China. One recent post reported on a 1 July regulation that flat-out prohibited import of bikes that are not new. Imports of new bikes are subject to duties of 100% or more, and some cities such as Guangzhou ban bikes outright. Shanghai follows a policy of restriction. There's a limited list of bikes that can be legally registered, and these are in two classes -- those that are restricted to parts of the city outside the inner ring road and those that want to ride within the ring road, which of course includes the central business district. The non-CBD Hu C plate will cost you maybe 20,000 RMB, while the Hu A plate is currently fetching 42,000 RMB or more. Yes, that's 12,000 more than I paid for my Jialing JH600.

There are a couple of tracks in the Shanghai suburbs, including a world-class Formula 1 circuit. And there are people, also in our forum, who can get you on the track -- more likely on one of their gray-market bikes than on your own.

My intention is not to frighten or depress you. This is simply the hand we are dealt. There are a growing number of us in Shanghai and many other cities who are riding daily, and enjoying the experience immensely. But, as I said in the intro, you need to check all expectations of "the way it works at home" before you arrive. Riding here is not like anywhere else. It's a blast, but pretty otherworldly.

Care for a toke?

cheers

no thanks ... spliff off :)

many thanks for the reply ... much clearer 2nd time around :)

this bike is not for road use ... only a track bike ... will never be registered for the road ....

be a nightmare on the road anyway... so small hard to get on , has a close ratio gearbox and very lumpy cams and runs 12.5-1 compression so road fuel would eat pistons ...

I would if possible like to be able to take it with me to work on it in some spare time i may have ... it is entered in the Isle of man Manx GP next year and i need time to do some engine work whilst i am up there ... and test ...

Track days would be a very useful way of testing stuff out ...

a local Dyno would be a great asset as well ... is there a Dyno facility in Shanghai???
    many thanks
    snibor

6. #6 Re: Hi folks 
    Bigger trick would be getting the bike into China. Once in, whether legally or otherwise, you could do the things you are proposing, presumably including the dyno, though you'll need to touch base with others to learn more about that. But chances of getting it in legally are slim to zero.

Others may have differing opinions on this.

Safe to guess your surname is Robins?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Hi folks 
    here are the folks to talk to about track riding, and performance tuning, etc.

BG Performance

good luck
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Hi folks 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    here are the folks to talk to about track riding, and performance tuning, etc.

BG Performance

good luck
    I had one of the bikes in Hong Kong with me for 6 years ... but different ball game there i suspect

many thanks for your assistance

steve

9. #9 Re: Hi folks 
    C-Moto Guru
    Try on importing it as "Artpiece" with your moving goods. Or ship it as Automobile/Motorcycle parts (partly dissasembled for sure in seperate shipments) - that way be sure around 10% custom duties apply!