Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: re jetting, exhaust and cdi unit help 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Moon, ther are two basic carbs used on China motos. The clip can be easliy moved on the carb on the right. The carb on the left is more difficult.
    Mine is the one on the left but I still am not sure which or what is the needle clip? Here are some pictures of my carb. I have read all through those threads and I just read that you guys adjusted it the fourth from the top, not where or how. I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Last edited by Moonbloodsflow; 08-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.

2. #12 Re: re jetting, exhaust and cdi unit help 
    C-Moto Regular
    I have a clicking sound, that sounds like a relay, coming from the cylinder thing under the seat...wish I knew what it was but I'm a newb. Is this normal and I didn't notice it before or? It does a couple clicks when I start it up and and after I get done giving it some throttle, everytime.. Clicks 3-5 times like a relay or vacuum. I thought it might be the starter but theres nothing electrical connected to this thing? Is it something I could have done messing with the carb?

Even tho I still haven't adjusted the needle valve I went ahead and put everything back together. Bike seems to be running good, better throttle response and idles smoother. I changed both jets, spark plug and adjusted my fuel mixture. Exhaust should be here tomorrow at which point I will put it on and take off the SAI. If anyone can still help me with the needle valve that I seem to be blind to, I'd appreciate it.

3. #13 Re: re jetting, exhaust and cdi unit help 
    Don't worry about the needle. On your carb (same as mine) it's difficult to do and not much benifit. It involves removing the carb and tearing it down somewhat to move the needle. The other type of carb is easier to work on and moving the clip make more of a difference.

The thing in your picture is some sort of canister that is part of the fuel system. I had the same set up on mine but removed it when I took all of the SAI stuff off. Your tank is not vented through the cap like most bikes but rather through the canister by way of a check valve. You can see it in the lower right of your picture. The tube going off to the right is the vent for the tank. The check valve allows air to go into the tank but not anything out. When I took the SAI stuff off, I left the check valve and tube to the tank but took the canister and rest of the tubing off. I capped off everything that tubing went to exept the inlet to the check valve after the removal. If I remember right I had to cap three spots; the carb, the air box, and at the head where the SAI pipe was attached. If you do remove the canister, be aware that you have to be careful not to overfill the tank. It is possible for fuel to run down the tube to the check valve. With the canister on, any fuel that ran down would go into the canister and be sent back to the carb...at least that's what it looked like to me when I followed all of the tubing. Sorry this is so long winded but I was trying to figure out what I thought you would be asking. Hope this helps.

4. #14 Re: re jetting, exhaust and cdi unit help 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Don't worry about the needle. On your carb (same as mine) it's difficult to do and not much benifit. It involves removing the carb and tearing it down somewhat to move the needle. The other type of carb is easier to work on and moving the clip make more of a difference.

The thing in your picture is some sort of canister that is part of the fuel system. I had the same set up on mine but removed it when I took all of the SAI stuff off. Your tank is not vented through the cap like most bikes but rather through the canister by way of a check valve. You can see it in the lower right of your picture. The tube going off to the right is the vent for the tank. The check valve allows air to go into the tank but not anything out. When I took the SAI stuff off, I left the check valve and tube to the tank but took the canister and rest of the tubing off. I capped off everything that tubing went to exept the inlet to the check valve after the removal. If I remember right I had to cap three spots; the carb, the air box, and at the head where the SAI pipe was attached. If you do remove the canister, be aware that you have to be careful not to overfill the tank. It is possible for fuel to run down the tube to the check valve. With the canister on, any fuel that ran down would go into the canister and be sent back to the carb...at least that's what it looked like to me when I followed all of the tubing. Sorry this is so long winded but I was trying to figure out what I thought you would be asking. Hope this helps.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Tomorrow when I hopefully get the exhaust I will do these things and let you know how it goes. Thanks a TON for the input. I really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12