Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Heh heh sorry, for me there's no "helmet vs no" issue because I had to wear helmets all the time. As for low-quality, I didn't want to offend your helmet :). What I mean is that usually helmets that you paid for around 600-800rmb (in my homecountry) started to wear off after one - two years of usage. Visor started to be heavy to use, paint was wearing off, the same with liner. I'm talking about everyday usage, since even if you wanted to drive 2km to shop, you had to wear a helmet - and police was serious about that.
    At the same time, HJC helmets are cheaper here that in my country - while other brands, Suomy, Shoei etc are way more expensive. So I'm kind of confused why :)

2. #42 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    @ worr ... check out that shop filipu found for us (see above maps on Line 1 by West 5th ring road). Good helmet shop.

@ euphonius ... the potential for helmet failure, given HJC's poor attachment of the flip-up mechanism (plastic mounting holes and short screws). Flip-ups have a bit of a bad rep but I still think they are better than open face, although probably far behind full face (for safety). My head cooks at traffic lights in a full face. Yeah, yeah, it explains it ... my brain is fried ater all these years!

3. #43 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Bought an HJC classico, the flip-up mechanism seemed superior to the LS2 and Tanked helmets' .. (tanked makes bad helmets)
    Short screws? I didn't try to disassemble the visor, but it had small studs on each side and could only be opened if I pull on one side of the jaw piece at a time, felt much more secure than the LS2 which opens by pushing a big thumb button. Also my ears have plenty of room, makes wearing the helmet for hours on end comfortable. Also the vents work very well. The fabric felt smoother and of better quality than the LS2. It doesn't have a sunshade visor, but it's lighter and I feel more comfortable turning my head around to look behind me. The only bad thing about it is the strap. Whoever chose this should be shot dead by a firing squad.

4. #44 Re: Helmets in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Here every helmets looking wonderful. Every helmet manufacture is great. My first helmet, bought from the www.cyclegear.com series "West Coast", "zero seven seven", and called made in China, but with no explicit reference to Chinese manufacturer.

5. #45 Re: Helmets in China 
    slabo I'm curious, what's wrong with that D-ring strap?

I ended up with buying AFX from US, even that store near 5th ring didn't have my size ;)

6. #46 Re: Helmets in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by IsiahPerris View Post
    Here every helmets looking wonderful. Every helmet manufacture is great. My first helmet, bought from the www.cyclegear.com series "West Coast", "zero seven seven", and called made in China, but with no explicit reference to Chinese manufacturer.
    Dear IsiahPerris,

You are posting from India? Very pleased to welcome you to MCM, though I see your signature is an advertisement, which gives a little pause. How about browsing over to the Welcome to MCM thread and properly introducing yourself. Are you riding a China bike? Would love to hear more about your experiences in India. Many of use who are based in China and elsewhere have ambitions to ride in India.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #47 Re: Helmets in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo
    (tanked makes bad helmets)
    Do they? Strange as I have one and like it. Great value for money and has lasted well, much better than most of the other Chinese budget brands. Although the flip-up Tanked Pete tried we didn't like due to the fit and weight. Marushin and HJC are easily available and are generally better.

8. #48 Re: Helmets in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Worr View Post
    slabo I'm curious, what's wrong with that D-ring strap?
    You need to take off your gloves to be able to do or undo the strap. but even if you somehow could manage to work the d-ring with gloves on, you need two hands to do that. With other helmets you could manage with one hand with your gloves on, just click a button or pull on a lever of some kind and you're free.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Do they? Strange as I have one and like it. Great value for money and has lasted well, much better than most of the other Chinese budget brands. Although the flip-up Tanked Pete tried we didn't like due to the fit and weight. Marushin and HJC are easily available and are generally better.
    Yes, as compared to other Chinese brands, I found their openface helmets good. A bit on the light side, but good quality as compared to others out there. But I was talking specifically about their modular helmets. The shield was too easy to open, with just one finger, barely any effort, the lid flipped open. the locking mechanism felt too flimsy as compared with HJC and LS2 helmets.

9. #49 Re: Helmets in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    You need to take off your gloves to be able to do or undo the strap. but even if you somehow could manage to work the d-ring with gloves on, you need two hands to do that. With other helmets you could manage with one hand with your gloves on, just click a button or pull on a lever of some kind and you're free.
    D-Ring chin straps are safer and more comfortable than buckles. MotoGP requires all riders to have a D-Ring chin strap. I can do mine with one hand, but not with heavier gloves. Not to turn this into a pissing match / what oil is better thread, but neither system is better than the other. Some people prefer the clips and others prefer D-Rings. It's got nothing to do with the manufacturing quality of the helmet.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #50 Re: Helmets in China 
    tanked makes bad helmets
    But I was talking specifically about their modular helmets.
    I didn't like their front opening helmets either, but I didn't misrepresent to make it seem like all their helmets were bad. It's like saying 'all Honda's are overweight sofas' then when someone says they like Honda's you say 'I was only talking about the Goldwing'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345