Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Ok, thanks, I'll check them on this weekend :)

2. #32 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 

3. #33 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by filipu View Post
    I bought AGV in this shop yesterday. http://www.wldamotor.com/gong%20lu/gl%20boot.htm They have HJC and LS2, as well as shoes, clouthes and other stuff. Its near west intersection of 5th ring and subway line 1
    Thanks for the tip! I popped by there today and it has an extensive selection of helmets, and decent clothing/boots upstairs.

I am definitely adding this shop to my list. It is out by the West 5th Ring Road, so a bit of a jaunt for many, but very convenient to Line 1.

Here's a map for anyone else in Beijing who might be interested.

With a closeup for detail:

4. #34 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    You didn't go a bit further down the road to the north, to practise driving 8's? This shop is on the way to laoshan practise course!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #35 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You didn't go a bit further down the road to the north, to practise driving 8's? This shop is on the way to laoshan practise course!
    Yeah, I noticed that the MC driving school was apparently close by. So I went to take a peek at the course my compatriots used to get their MC licenses, but I couldn't find the MC track. Just saw a lot of young women practicing parallel parking in white Santanas. It was entertaining enough to stop and watch for a while.

On reflection, I'd say that this wldamotor shop identified by filipu is probably the best I've seen inside Beijing for helmets. FHL has a good selection, but it is expensive.

6. #36 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    One more thing, do you know when is Mr Yu shops open? I'd like to go there before/after work :)

7. #37 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    One of the difficulties with sourcing helmets inside China, as has been mentioned in this thread, is the lack of choices and an apparent abomination in size selections. Case in point, I've two HJC CL-22N open face helmets in sliver, both bought from a HJC Taobao dealer. When I used the dealers accompanying measurement guide on the dealers taobao website shop front, my headsize was designated a 'XL' extra large even though I know my head size is actually a 'S = small' and has been for the past 33+ years of riding motorcycles, where my head has always been an adult 'S' small size. In PRC though the size can be 'S' small through to 'XL' extra large. When I ordered my helmet from the aforementioned dealer/seller, I received a 'XL' and 'XXL' as they only had the one 'XL' in stock. The fit is fine, though the 'XXL' is just a little big especially if I've just cut my hair short.

I've bought a few other helmets online primarily through Taobao and I've come to the conclusion that various dealers/sellers are using head sizing and measurements interchangeably between, child, youth sizing and adult sizing, hence the variation and discrepancy. There may also be some variation between manufacturers, where no standard sizing is applied. I've seen and experienced so much variation in sizing determinations while in China, it borders on ludicrous.

Last year I bought a number of items from getgeared in the UK, boots, riding jacket, trousers and a HJC CL-MAX flip top helmet, and when I used their companies website measuring chart I have a 'L' large sized noggin. The size is an 'L' and also fits well. Go figure...

I've bought several other helmets from various motorcycle shops or motorcycle supply stores (there's a fairly decent one based in QingDaoHu (1000 island lake) with all manner of motorcycle accessories (tyres, tubes, batteries, locks, chains, sprockets, HID lights/bulbs etc.) and that's all they sell - no motorcycles)) where I have bought a couple of fairly decent "looking" GSB brand helmets, without any sizing information at all, amongst a few other items.

My advice, is if your buying check sizing carefully, given the misinformation and variation. If trying a helmet on, it should feel snug but not overly constrictive. It should be able to sit on ones head without much lateral rotation in the horizontal plane nor flexion and extension in the vertical plane either, when using ones hands to force external movement to the helmet when it is worn. Too sloppy and the helmet is likely to dislodge and come off in the event of a collision/dismount. Too tight/restrictive will result in a headache at a minimum.

In China they don't worry too much to helmets nor the sizing if a motorcyclist does bother to wear one. The dealer/seller generally know little, are misinformed or don't give a sh!t - 没有问题的

8. #38 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    I second what bikerdoc says re sizing.

I have become a fan of HJC helmets, owning the CL Max for me & the IS Max for sweety (which was only 500 rmb at the wldamotor shop). An HJC fan until I read this article on Webbikeworld. Haven't checked my HJCs, yet. For reference, I also have an LS2 flip-up on which the locking mechanism failed.

Mr. Yu has opened a second shop next to his first, carrying upper end riding gear, including beautiful Schuberth helmets at a mere 5500 to 6500 rmb. I think I have posted a map to Mr. Yu's shop(s) somewhere before but couldn't find it, so here it is again (in response to Worr's request above):

That is Yaojiayuan Road (East West). His shop is in the shopping mall on the South side of Yaojiayuan Rd. You access the mall parking lot in the driveway immediately after the pedestrian light/crosswalk. Go through the parking lot, staying left, almost to the end. His shop is on the left side.

9. #39 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Yup, I think I was able to find his shop - assuming it's not that big, something lie 15 helmets in total? Map helped me a lot :). Unfortunately, I have a S size which means a big no no. I tried L but it was like a big bag on my head ;)

Btw, where do you think helmets are cheaper? Here or in US? Let's assume no shipping costs etc. I'm thinking about low-quality helmet, something for 500-700rmb :)

10. #40 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    An HTC helmet at 700 or 800 rmb is not a "low-quality" helmet. (at least I hope not, since that's what I use mainly.)

what i took from that webbikeworld article was that the far bigger issue is "helmet vs no helmet", i.e., don't leave home without it. it's very difficult to quantify the relative quality of various helmets, but it's easy -- very easy -- to quantify the relative quality of helmet vs no helmet.

LJH, what was your takeaway from the article that made you hesitant about the HTC?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast