Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquilegia View Post
    That version is not just same as original. I revised to support commercial chinese maps such as baidu, sogou, and so on, which have offset issues with their own map coordinates, and even 3d viewing with dem data. Please read that link, especially advanced feature and east asia map sections. But note that the source code is old dated more than one year.
    Well, in that case, I'd say your link certainly deserves looking into. I'll check it out.
    In China: 2013 Benelli 600gs
    In Canada: 1980-'85 Shovester (under construction), 1983 kz440

Since several years I use in China now "route66 navigator". It cost one time about 50 Euro. After that the app is running well and all maps worldwide are online available or you download the maps u need and use them offline. The map quality is very good under up to date. Offroad tracks are not available.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #53 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Try OsmAnd+ with china maps, but you have to compile the source code.
    https://github.com/swkim01/osmand
    Aquilegia, I have downloaded the source code and I have installed the Android SDK for windows. I started the SDK manager and it asks which modules and images I want to install. What is the minimum I need to compile this OsmAnd?

Note I am not a developer but I am quite familiar compiling Linux applications from source and I have dabbled a tiny bit making simple programs in Java, C, C++. At the moment I only have a windows computer to use and a slow internet connection (downloading the Android Studio says it'll take a day to download).
    packages1.jpg
    packages2.jpg
    Last edited by billeuze; 08-10-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: adding images

4. #54 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by billeuze View Post
    Aquilegia, I have downloaded the source code and I have installed the Android SDK for windows. I started the SDK manager and it asks which modules and images I want to install. What is the minimum I need to compile this OsmAnd?

Note I am not a developer but I am quite familiar compiling Linux applications from source and I have dabbled a tiny bit making simple programs in Java, C, C++. At the moment I only have a windows computer to use and a slow internet connection (downloading the Android Studio says it'll take a day to download).
    Refer to this link. But you can use a pre-compiled version from https://github.com/swkim01/Osmand/releases.

5. #55 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Refer to this link. But you can use a pre-compiled version from https://github.com/swkim01/Osmand/releases.
    OK, that makes it a lot easier, thanks aquilegia. Downloading the apk to my phone now...

6. #56 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    well my phone doesn't want to install this app because it has the same name as one already installed. Seeing as I happen to have a brand new phone arriving in 2 days, I'll just wait and install the new Osmand-East-Asia on the new one. I don't want to uninstall my current OsmAnd just yet.

7. #57 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thank you so much aquilegia, this is wonderful.

I installed to test on my new phone. Note, for anyone using this, you must do the step listed in the notes, that means copy the custom_tile_sources.xml file into the "tiles" folder of the OsmAnd data path. Once that file is in place, when you choose :"Settings" >> "Configure Map" >> "Map Source" >> "Install more", then scroll about 1/3 of the way down the list to the section on China maps (its not alphabetically listed) where you can select which ones to ad to your regular "Map Source" list.

I added Baidu, Sogou and GoogleMaps of China. The only downside to using these alternate maps is that they are not offline maps like the regular OsmAnd OpenStreetMap map. But, as long as you enable a data connection on your phone, you can use these maps. When I have a section of map on my display, I just switch to a different map source and it shows the same area but with the new map. This is great for filling in the gaps where OpenStreetMaps is missing some smaller roads.

It even uses google map, with corrected offset and with just a normal internet connection (no VPN)!

I just had one issue is that in this interface I can't download the contour maps for each province of China like I can with the current official OsmAnd. Even though I installed my purchased copy of OsmAnd contour lines support on the new phone I still can't download the contour lines. But, I copied the contour files over from the old phone to the new and now they display on the new phone too.

8. #58 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you so much aquilegia, this is wonderful.

I installed to test on my new phone. Note, for anyone using this, you must do the step listed in the notes, that means copy the custom_tile_sources.xml file into the "tiles" folder of the OsmAnd data path. Once that file is in place, when you choose :"Settings" >> "Configure Map" >> "Map Source" >> "Install more", then scroll about 1/3 of the way down the list to the section on China maps (its not alphabetically listed) where you can select which ones to ad to your regular "Map Source" list.

I added Baidu, Sogou and GoogleMaps of China. The only downside to using these alternate maps is that they are not offline maps like the regular OsmAnd OpenStreetMap map. But, as long as you enable a data connection on your phone, you can use these maps. When I have a section of map on my display, I just switch to a different map source and it shows the same area but with the new map. This is great for filling in the gaps where OpenStreetMaps is missing some smaller roads.

It even uses google map, with corrected offset and with just a normal internet connection (no VPN)!
    Once you displayed a section of map, the corresponding image tiles of that section are cached to the "tiles" folder, then next time you can display it off-line without data connection. Even you can download multiple tiles with multiple zoom scales at one time through "Download map" item in context menu.

9. #59 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Once you displayed a section of map, the corresponding image tiles of that section are cached to the "tiles" folder, then next time you can display it off-line without data connection. Even you can download multiple tiles with multiple zoom scales at one time through "Download map" item in context menu.
    OK, you've got me there. How do I access the context menu in order to "Download Map"? I can't find it

10. #60 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    OK, you've got me there. How do I access the context menu in order to "Download Map"? I can't find it
    After long-clicking a point on the map, click the pop-up location box. Then the context menu will be appeared.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast