Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    You have me curious now....

- I installed OruxMaps onto my HTC.
    - I'm using MobileAtlasCreator1.7 (which I previously used to create offline maps for Big Planet on the Android)

Q: Now how do I create offline maps using MOBAC for the OruxMaps App? Do I have to create new maps? And if so, do I need to change the settings under Format for Atlas Settings? (I don't see an Atlas Setting option for OruxMaps here, just BigPlanet, TrekBuddy and others)

Seems I missed the step-by-step instructions somewhere!!

Thanks.

2. #22 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    Ah yes, you need mobac 1.8 which can output for oruxmaps! Get it here.

There are two output options, normal (shit loads of tiles) or sqlite (which puts everything in one big file). I'm not sure which one is technically better, but the sqlite option makes it a bit simpler to change the coordinates, since they are all in one xml file.

3. #23 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    If you recall the problem I had when creating maps in MOBAC for BigPlanet.....Well I'm having the same problem now when creating Oruxmaps:

I successfully downloaded MOBAC 1.8 and proceeded with the following mapping steps:
    1. Click the "Add selection" button after selecting the multiple "Zoom Levels" of the map.
    2. Confirm the "Map Source" to be "Google Maps" (default value, you can choose another types).
    3. Confirm the "Format" of "Atlas settings" to be "OruxMaps SQLite".

But when I try to download the map after clicking the "Create atlas" button I get the following error: Unable to find SQLite libraries. These are required for selected atlas format.

When using 1.7 and creating BigPlanet maps you mentioned the need for downloading sqlite_jni win (64bit) and adding to the MOBAC directory. Is there something similar that needs to be done for OruxMaps?

4. #24 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Felix, Motokai and Slabo, all I can say is you guys are hardcore. This is the first motorcycling thread where I've seen actual coding posted! OK, so once you've sorted this all out, please kindly help us mere mortals out with instructions and an FAQ!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    Motokai, this is exactly the same problem you had before. To output sqlite files, you need to have that sqlite_jni.dll file in the mobac folder. Since you upgraded to mobac 1.8 that file is no longer in there.
    Just do the same thing you did last time.

Euphonius, it's been hard work getting this far but it's nice that it's all sorted and working now. Are you sure you can't figure it out with the info in this thread? Extremely basic breakdown:
    1 - Mobac 1.8 for your computer
    2 - Oruxmaps for your android phone
    3 - Edit coordinates in the xml file.

To all: never forget the power of google! I knew nothing about any of this a few weeks ago. FAQ and instructions already exist for Mobac and Oruxmaps, the only hard part is the china offset which i explained above.

If still needed, i may start a new thread with step by step.

6. #26 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Euphonius, it's been hard work getting this far but it's nice that it's all sorted and working now. Are you sure you can't figure it out with the info in this thread? Extremely basic breakdown:
    1 - Mobac 1.8 for your computer
    2 - Oruxmaps for your android phone
    3 - Edit coordinates in the xml file.

If still needed, i may start a new thread with step by step.
    Thanks for your confidence in my GPS hacking acumen, but there's a couple of major obstacles here:

First, I'm among those self-exiles to the land of OSX and iOS, having long given up on MSFT. (This is a form of masochism in China, where "computer" equals "MS Windows".) While I realize Mobac runs in Java, which is supported under OS X, I am all thumbs when it comes to customizing systems the way you MSFT-enabled young turks do.

Second, I don't have an Android phone, only an iPhone. I do recall, perhaps in this forum, someone raving about how easy it was to sidestep all of this and set up the iPhone as a China GPS, but I must now admit that my specific place of exile in the OSX/iOS world is described by a prehistoric iPhone 2g, which predated the "assisted GPS" found in 3g and later models.

My iPhone will usually find my location in China, triangulating from multiple cell towers, but a reliable GPS it ain't. My next phone will be either iPhone 4 (or even iPhone 5, which is reputedly in the works) or some Android-flavored device. I can't afford either right now...

So for now I'll live with my Garmin Zumo 660.
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #27 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    Yes, here's that post I remember -- Stefan in Ningbo voting for iPhone with MotionX GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_nb View Post
    The daily topic apple versus the rest of other phones... Yes, android will be on more phones by 2012 then iPhone iOS which is a simple fact because there are many manufactors for android but only on for iphone. And closed versus open system? Yes it's nice to have an open source system, so Linux might be great for you instead of Windows, but for many it's too complicated, same goes for Mac versus PC. Don't let me get into this as the topic was about GPS offline.

I am using my iPhone with "MotionX GPS" and it's great for all you ever wanted, you can record your tracks, one can store offline maps (open street maps & open terrain maps) or if you have a GPRS/3G package you have google maps / satellite view as well. Compass, waypoints, altitude and so on.

Check it on the app store, it has several other great features which I don't have to repeat here. I just got an otter box, but now looking into the best way to fix it on my Suzuki DRZ.

Stefan
    So Stefan, surely you are using at least an iPhone 3G or 3GS, right? Maybe now that the iPhone 4 is out I can pick up a cheap 3GS....

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #28 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    <<Motokai, this is exactly the same problem you had before. To output sqlite files, you need to have that sqlite_jni.dll file in the mobac folder. Since you upgraded to mobac 1.8 that file is no longer in there. Just do the same thing you did last time.>>

Thanks Felix. Assume the libraries are app-specific?
    The 64bit jni library I have is for creating BigPlanet SQLite atlases on MOBAC.
    Where did you find the sqlite.jni.dll file for OraxMaps?

9. #29 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    you guys are just making this shit up. yankin' my chain. stop it.
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #30 Re: Offline maps on Android in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Thanks Felix. Assume the libraries are app-specific?
    They are not. I'm don't know exactly what an sqlite library is, but it's the same file for both apps.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast