Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Attention B-Mart shoppers ... under the flashing blue light in aisle one ... 京A plates available for a limited time.

As you know, the registration & plating of bikes during mid-2010 is haphazard due to the emissions rules, etc. And it looks like the plate restrictions are going to get worse ... much worse ... if one believes the rumors flying around the Beijing shops.

Anyways, I was in one of Beijing's largest motorcycle shops today (selling Suzuki, Qingqi, CF-moto, Yamaha, etc) and bikes were flying out the door. I've never seen the place so active. The shop has an inventory of well over a hundred new bikes, all shapes / sizes. I'm guessing that almost half its inventory sold today, alone.

Reason for the increased activity? The city government has permitted 京A registrations for this week only (ending August 20) for bikes that are in stock this week. It told this particular shop yesterday. Today, dozens of people were carrying bundles of cash in.

Apparently, many other shops have been given similar news. Previously approved bikes (i.e., pre July 1) that are in stock can be A-plated for a week (ends August 20 for this major shop). As you know from my earlier posts in other threads, Beijing effectively stopped new registrations/plating post July 1, pending new rules expected on August 1 (which never materialized). The plate issue is unresolved but there appears to be this release valve that happened after the industry lobbied the Beijing government about the in-stock bikes.

I suspect the Traffic Management Branch will be a zoo this week.

Getting caught up in the excitement, my sweety bought a new moto-scooter, legally registered & plated for a full 11 years. These 京A plates are becoming more rare & difficult to grab than perfect diamonds. So, another new bike in our stable within the week.

In Beijing? Want an A plate? Move fast, cause when they're gone ... well, rumor has it ... never mind, it is too depressing.

rt

2. #2 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Damn and double damn. Keep us posted.

Triple damn.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    I should have added that if anyone in Beijing is interested in a JH600, the Jialing service centre has managed to A plate one European version (in black) because it is in stock. It is in the Jialing service centre in Beijing (Zhang Hai Tao - 139 1181 2678). Well, it was there a couple of days ago. I've toyed with the idea of picking that one up, too, because of the legal plate. The shop seems confident that post September 1, JH600s will be able to get A plates again. But, of course, I heard a similar rumor back in July about August 1.

In a related vein, the JH600B (sidecar version) was awaiting inclusion on the "approved list" for Jing A plating, after Jialing had applied 2 years ago, and then reapplied again last year. The Beijing city government denied the JH600B both times, and apparently Jialing has now given up - the JH600B will not be able to be legally registered in Beijing. You can get legal Hebei registration, with connections, which isn't a bad idea because who'd want to ride a sidecar within Beijing city's congestion anyways?!?!?!

I should also clarify my earlier post (above) - this one week affair still requires scrapping an existing old bike with a 京A plate to get the "new" plate transferred to the new bike. There are not any additional A plates being issued. Beijing is just allowing existing inventory to be cleared out. Then the door is apparently slamming shut, again, pending the new "approved list". Rumor has it that the new list might be dropping some big names ...

but TIC ... so who the hell knows what is really going on????? I'm just a little flea on the tail of a dog.

4. #4 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    Can you please share the shop's address?

5. #5 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    Quote Originally Posted by beijingdaze View Post
    Can you please share the shop's address?
    Good point, sorry about that. I should have done it before.

I don't really know its actual address, so here are a couple of Google maps that show where it is at. I've heard that there is also a large Honda dealer further West down the same road, but I haven't been there yet.

Map-2.jpgMap-1..jpg

The telephone number is (010) 8796 7395 (Chinese only)

Good luck
    Richard

6. #6 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    Hmmmm - the maps are really tiny when I post them here - send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire larger ones off to you.

7. #7 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    thanks, will send you my email in a PM. out of curiosity, how much are they charging for the A plates right now?

8. #8 Re: Beijing 京A plates in August 2010 
    Hi - was at the shop again yesterday (paying the balance for my sweety's new scoot) - was told that A and B plates now might be available all month. It still has some stock. Has a few QingQi 200GY bikes. They are nice looking. There are generation 1 - 8,300 ... generation 2 - 9,300 ... generation 3 - about 12,000 (I think) ... and an "export generation 3" - about 13,500 (I think). That is the base price, add plates, taxes, fees, etc. I have no idea what the difference is between the bikes, but I am sure that the Qingqi owners on this website can answer it.

The current price for an "A" plates is about 7,500 to 8,000 rmb. You've got a few minor fees on top of that and, if you're buying new, the sales tax.

The current price for a "B" plate is around 600 rmb (I am guessing at that, because I was quoted an all-in price for the B plate which included a few other fees - let's just say it is less than 1,000 rmb)

Cheers
    Richard