Attention B-Mart shoppers ... under the flashing blue light in aisle one ... 京A plates available for a limited time.

As you know, the registration & plating of bikes during mid-2010 is haphazard due to the emissions rules, etc. And it looks like the plate restrictions are going to get worse ... much worse ... if one believes the rumors flying around the Beijing shops.

Anyways, I was in one of Beijing's largest motorcycle shops today (selling Suzuki, Qingqi, CF-moto, Yamaha, etc) and bikes were flying out the door. I've never seen the place so active. The shop has an inventory of well over a hundred new bikes, all shapes / sizes. I'm guessing that almost half its inventory sold today, alone.

Reason for the increased activity? The city government has permitted 京A registrations for this week only (ending August 20) for bikes that are in stock this week. It told this particular shop yesterday. Today, dozens of people were carrying bundles of cash in.

Apparently, many other shops have been given similar news. Previously approved bikes (i.e., pre July 1) that are in stock can be A-plated for a week (ends August 20 for this major shop). As you know from my earlier posts in other threads, Beijing effectively stopped new registrations/plating post July 1, pending new rules expected on August 1 (which never materialized). The plate issue is unresolved but there appears to be this release valve that happened after the industry lobbied the Beijing government about the in-stock bikes.

I suspect the Traffic Management Branch will be a zoo this week.

Getting caught up in the excitement, my sweety bought a new moto-scooter, legally registered & plated for a full 11 years. These 京A plates are becoming more rare & difficult to grab than perfect diamonds. So, another new bike in our stable within the week.

In Beijing? Want an A plate? Move fast, cause when they're gone ... well, rumor has it ... never mind, it is too depressing.

rt