Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CC's Adventure Motorcycle Magazine review 
    Maybe I am thick but I just couldn't find existing threads on this! Weird things going on with this forum, searches not working and log-in problems at first, hopefully they will settle down?

Anyway, Crazy Carl's mag is excellent this time around folks, the earlier edition reads were very good so I am not criticising them - but this one sets the bar up even higher, going to be difficult to keep up to this standard mate!

I didn't enjoy the flip page format, when I grabbed to drag pages across (13 inch screen requires that), many times it changed size or opened an embedded link. I couldn't get the .pdf, kept getting 'not on server message'.

The magazine is a good mix of different kinds of articles, interesting personalities and different styles of writing. I enjoyed particularly the 'Vietnam' article. So many of the mags I buy these days, from computers to dirt-bikes and hunting all seem to run out of pages just when I get interested, this time I got more than I expected! All I would like to see added would be an 'in the shed (or workshop)' column with practical, 'from the beginning for idiots like me', methods of modding, repairing etc. I would like to see it cover real basics such as changing a tyre, chain, brake pad and the simple tasks like changing bar rubbers which took me an hour of worry as I couldn't get them off ... no-one told me they were glued on ... and yes CC, I would write them for you but I am just not good enough anymore at the practicalities, senility setting in maybe. Forgot to fix the seat on properly today, it slid back and I fell off as I revved up to get through a long rut, 'bike and rider and shopping all went over into a very deep muddy puddle which amused the local kookaburras.

So many congratulations to CC, he has worked hard and long on this with success! I would recommend anyone who has not yet subscribed - do it!

2. #2 Re: CC's Adventure Motorcycle Magazine review 
    Jape,

Thanks for your positive comments and feedback. I'll look into the downloading problem but haven't had any other complaints so far. Could be a location problem since all tests from here send back decent results. What kind of connection are you using?

The page flip version is currently hosted in the UK while the PDF and site are in Utah. To operate the page flip version you should only need to click on the little "corner curl". Some version do require you click(grab) and drag, but this one should just be a click. If you can send me a screen shot of what it looks like on your monitor, it would be helpful.

Those are some very good suggestions for content. As usual, it's all about finding someone to write them but folks of various interests and talents come out of the wood work sooner or later. Need to start a letter to the editor section, and a reader submitted photo page. There A LOT of work to do in many areas so, like anything, it's a work in progress... including getting it back to print! Also getting an increasing amount of readers who would like the mag on Ipad.

It's pretty crazy but better to be busy, than not!
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: CC's Adventure Motorcycle Magazine review 
    Hola CC, I have a wireless connection, dowmloads consistently at 200 to 300 kBs which is fast enough for most anything. The problem is the Utah server, had the same thing happen last time, it rejected 'get right' and similar multiple stream and resume software. This time even the normal 'firefox' save download function returns the error 'file not on server'.
    The page curl is fine, it is a size issue (as many things are). I use a 13" laptop still for travel convenience and on that screen I have to 'magnify' the text of this magazine to read it, that takes it out of frame so I have to scroll across and down to read a page and that is when the embedded links continually take over and ruin the day! Try magnifying the page up and you will understand what is happening, every time I 'grab' to scroll, if there is a link, ie on an ad or in text, it goes there.
    Fuck ipad Carl, they should be able to view in a browser as everyone else does, if they need proprietary versions they bought the wrong machine. An android app or two however, to direct users to a download link would be good, as could also be on Facebook etc. Not too difficult that. Not sure it would be worthwhile creating a special version for mobiles though. The world is changing so I may be wrong but I have used and explored all the latest technologies and my take on it is that mobile apps and tweets and facebook comments etc are fine for very short info bites, but not easy or intuitive for articles and pics.
    Print - well, I still like to buy a mag here and there but more and more I read through them and then they go in the shed. Thousands of dollars wasted it fells like. Digital is cheaper and easierand I prefer it now. I keep them on a backup and sometimes re-read, at least they are there if I want to refer back. Now that would be a good app for you, a database that refers back to a particular article by keyword search! Then 'back numbers' would be a real asset. It is all converging mate, forums, digital copy in many formats, linked content - at least you are 'in there' and active in an area you love. I know how energising that can be on a good day, good luck!

4. #4 Re: CC's Adventure Motorcycle Magazine review 
    CC,

I'm enjoying the new edition. I eschewed the flip-page format version. I'm a down-and-dirty PDF kind a guy. The PDF's have always downloaded fine for me, and the size format works perfectly for me using iBooks on my iPad. Keep up the good work and congrats at taking over the helm of the publication.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/