Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So it seems the XF200 and the DRZ125 have identical geometry/design....I am trying to see if they are exactly the same dimensions...after studying the camshafts I see that the XF has a gear of some sort on the left hand side...the DRZ125 doesnt share this same feature...but both engines have provisions for this in the cam/valve cover....strange....I cant see that the gear has any function at all in the XF200...so I assume it is for some missing piece of equipment lost in design?....lol...the cams look identical otherwise...now I just need to get my hands on one to test it out!!....I'm wondering what the factory cam in the XF200 measures up to....and if it is wimpy as I suspect, the hot cams for the DRZ125 might give a bit of breath to the XF's 200cc setup!

2. #2 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cam came in today!....went ahead and threw it in and am now giving it a little time to break in....initial impression is good!...it seems to be pulling further and with a bit more enthusiasm through the mid range!....nothing spectacular...but an improvement none the less!....after a bit of break-in I will strap the bike on the dyno and see if she picked up any extra power...

3. #3 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Impressive! I like the can-do, DIY attitude!

Pix??

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    which cam did you use buddy? any links, ive been thinking of doing this but in my 125, bbr motorsport sell cams for the drz which i was thinking of using

5. #5 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I went with the Hotcams piece...seems a little mild as far as cams go...but it works well!!...I also removed the inner valve springs.....frees up a little more power with the higher lift.

6. #6 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    The Gear QM200 has at the end of its Cam is just a take off for the rpm indicator.

ANY Suzuki CAM(and much more) from dr100/LT125/GN125/DR125/LT160/LT185/DR200/LT230/LT250s familyWILL FIT. as they are ,basically, the same engine with different BorexStroke.

I have Both bikes : DR125se and a Qingqi QM200. So I´m entitled to say that Both bikes can interchange their CAMS,
    -My Qingqi 200 uses a Suzuki LT250s Quad Cam : $92(alphasports.com) , That makes a world of a difference to stock; has visibly more Lift(torque) and duration(topEnd) than DRZ125Hotcams too( that I tried too.. .very similar to stock,so got rid of it.. . disappointed); so, dont waste your money.. .
    -My sons DR125se uses the CAM I took out from QM200 :more torque from Idle to Topend, I´ve tried too a LT230s Cam($20Ebay) that i even enjoy more : more bottom end and mids: more suitable for the 125 with its small carburator.

The "best for the Buck" options I´ve found ,-from Tame to wild-, are these : DR125stock/LT185/DR200/LT230s/LT250s(only this "s" model will fit!!)
    -Its isnt just a feeling, My DR125 with its LT230 cam hits 110km/h often, while hardly ever could with Hotcams.
    Last edited by chete44; 11-30-2010 at 01:21 AM.

7. #7 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostcrzy View Post
    I went with the Hotcams piece...seems a little mild as far as cams go...but it works well!!...I also removed the inner valve springs.....frees up a little more power with the higher lift.
    -Youll end Up trashing your engine. Engineers install 2 different springs for a number of reasons :

1/AVOID SEAT/Guide WEAR : both valve springs are allways paired clockwise/counterclockwise, this prevents valve turning on its seat!!
    2/AVOID SEAT Rebound : specially with high lift cams!!. this happens at high rpm, Every Spring has a "natural" resonance frecuency at wich speed wont follow the Cam profile, in other words, valve is out of control and can hit the piston . the other spring NEVER rebounds at that given frequency.
    3/Power LOSS/gain : theres a power Loss since valves are not closing when they are supposed to. theres too a LITTLE gain ,at low rpm, as its easier to move a soft spring-instead of 2 , that requires more stregth!!.

8. #8 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    i heard that my friend is using a camshaft from djebel 200....is it the same with dr 200 and why djebel has more power compare to dr ...and totaly is it possible to do ?

9. #9 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima Naderi View Post
    i heard that my friend is using a camshaft from djebel 200....is it the same with dr 200 and why djebel has more power compare to dr ...and totaly is it possible to do ?
    ==Beware : Djebel 250 is a Totally different engine to Djebel200!!.==
    Yes, older Djebel200 models had the same Cam;(and Power=18hp) ,that DR200, However, newer Djebel models declare 20hp(2002); I cant say for sure , first hand, as I havent seen it in person,Is it True?; if Yes, ¿where gets 2hp more?!; my guess is that some of these new features is to be blamed:
    1/New Oil cooler may help.(to stabilize-Not increase- power)
    2/New bigger(in diameter) exhaust+header.
    3/Carburetor : here is the MAIN difference : while our qingqi 200(or whatever make you had) has "only 28mm/16hp". Suzuki has allways mounted 31mm/33mm!. You can even fit a Keihin FCR35mm. That will ,probably,make a world of a difference at high RPM, but costs a fortune($700). This alone doesnt make much sense ; unless you remove first the standard CDI, for another "Unlimited"(see forchetto posts); to get its full potential.

There are cheaper ways to "release" the easy/Cheap HP out of your XP200.
    -remove EGR valve (from 2007 on)
    -Open -Dont remove-, 2x 25mm holes on top of your airbox.
    -Install bigger =Idle+Main Jets.(Kientech.com)
    -LT250S Cam.
    That only, once installed, gives you 19hp; 130km/h with a 16t front sprocket.
    If you add a DR200 33mm Carb youll hit 21/22hp.

10. #10 Re: DRZ125/XF200 cams interchangeable?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by chete44 View Post
    ==Beware : Djebel 250 is a Totally different engine to Djebel200!!.==
    Yes, older Djebel200 models had the same Cam;(and Power=18hp) ,that DR200, However, newer Djebel models declare 20hp(2002); I cant say for sure , first hand, as I havent seen it in person,Is it True?; if Yes, ¿where gets 2hp more?!; my guess is that some of these new features is to be blamed:
    1/New Oil cooler may help.(to stabilize-Not increase- power)
    2/New bigger(in diameter) exhaust+header.
    3/Carburetor : here is the MAIN difference : while our qingqi 200(or whatever make you had) has "only 28mm/16hp". Suzuki has allways mounted 31mm/33mm!. You can even fit a Keihin FCR35mm. That will ,probably,make a world of a difference at high RPM, but costs a fortune($700). This alone doesnt make much sense ; unless you remove first the standard CDI, for another "Unlimited"(see forchetto posts); to get its full potential.

There are cheaper ways to "release" the easy/Cheap HP out of your XP200.
    -remove EGR valve (from 2007 on)
    -Open -Dont remove-, 2x 25mm holes on top of your airbox.
    -Install bigger =Idle+Main Jets.(Kientech.com)
    -LT250S Cam.
    That only, once installed, gives you 19hp; 130km/h with a 16t front sprocket.
    If you add a DR200 33mm Carb youll hit 21/22hp.
    thanks that was usefull

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast