Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Greetings all,
    I'm posting some photos and a bit of info regarding my solo tour of Gansu, Qinghai and Xinjiang provinces that took place in July.

Bike: I picked up a Zongshen 200gy from my little Gansu province town for 8,500 rmb. A Chinese friend of mine helped work out the deal that included plates and licensing. The shop didn't exactly go out of their way to get it into great running shape before handing it off to me, and I also had a broken camshaft early on, but other than that, it was extremely comfortable and a decent choice.

Attachment 2244Attachment 2246Attachment 2245dscn0042.jpg
    Eastern Gansu proved to be quite difficult to get across. I dealt with a lot of rain, road construction, bad roads and disappearing roads. However, it also provided me with some of the most exciting motorcycling of the trip. I had to readjust my route quite a few times, but essentially I traveled along 312 from Pingliang - Lanzhou. From Lanzhou, I headed on 213 to Dongxiang, Linxia and then broke off to arrive at Xiahe. Although difficult at times, I highly recommend the journey to Xiahe. Especially for those who have not been to other Tibetan communities.

Attachment 2247Attachment 2248Attachment 2249dscn0160.jpg
    One of the greatest scenery days of riding took place from Xining, Qinghai to Zhangye, Gansu on route 227. This route is well constructed and also sees a bit of truck and tourist traffic, but certainly worth it.

Attachment 2250Attachment 2251dscn0201.jpg
    Catching 312 again from Zhangye, traveling the length of western Gansu was pretty smooth until Dunhuang. Many sections of 215 south of Dunhuang were under construction and proved slow going until I hit Qinghai via 305. Both 305 and 315 in western Qinghai were well constructed roads, but there's a lot of nothing. I'm thankful I didn't have any mechanical troubles during that section.

I entered Xinjiang from Qinghai on route 315 with some trouble again due to rain mixed with poor construction detour roads. Eventually I rolled out of the Altun moutains and into the desert. Route 218 through the desert was quick, but lacking scenery, so I jumped over to the trans-taklimakan desert highway as well for a peek. 314 between the desert highway and Korla is hell due to trucks. I rode it all the way to Urumqi (arrival pictured below) and decided to do a northern trip rather than a western journey to Kashmir. Mostly this was due to time limitation and I didn't want to rush a trip to Kashmir. So pictured below is the beautiful landscape of the Altay mountains. This area is worth getting to, but can be quite touristy around Kanas lake. Also, be careful which road you take from Burqin, as the 227 route will take you too close to Kazakhstan, which the border police won't like.
    dscn0358.jpgdscn0406.jpg
    Attachment 2257Attachment 2258Attachment 2256Attachment 2255

2. #2 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    Well done I'm surprised no one else bothered commenting on this RR. No back up vehicle no people back in Shanghai organizing everything(trucks) one hellva ride done just by himself.

A true adventurer.

3. #3 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    Kudos on what looks like a great adventure accomplished. Let me know if you are ever in Nanjing area.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #4 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    Must have missed this one during my USA trip. Looks like it was quite an adventure!

More please sir...

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 10-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.

5. #5 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    I don't know how this one slipped by as BigDamo said, many here do at least read and say g'day. And crazy Carl our site owner usually picks up on reports we might miss, just to keep people involved as it is a quiet forum.
    I find reports by checking 'new posts' daily yet didn't ever see this show up, so it must have slipped by when site maintenance was being done or something. Any way, a good report and a great ride, well done, please don't think we were all ignoring you, it can be a slow site sometimes if people are on holiday or busy but can also get very friendly and be very helpful. Looking forward to more, especially as I am hoping to ride some of those routes next year!

6. #6 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    Agreed, not sure how this one slipped by! What an amazing trip to do all alone, that's a ballsy undertaking. Would love to go explore that part of the world one day.

Most of those pictures didn't work, any chance of posting them on an external host for all to see?

7. #7 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    I tried to retrace your route according to the places and roads you mentioned. Was it roughly like this?

That region is always so much bigger than i think.

8. #8 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey all,
    Thanks for the responses lately. felix, yes that is essentially the route I took. I screwed up a bit on the picture posting. I'll put something together and link more pics from here in a few days.

9. #9 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

10. #10 Re: Summer Western Tour: Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang 
    Great pictures! Right up until the shot with the Vikings t-shirt! It is hard to keep up with real football in China and both my Boys and your Vikings are having bad year but last year was painful because of the purple Norwegians. Anyway, looks like you had a great adventure. Loved the helmet cabinet!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast