Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Cheap Imports: Too good to be true? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all,

So my jialing has be crapping out multiple times the last couple days and I am thinking it is time to get a serious bike. I have talked to my mechanic/dealer and they were telling me about these awesome imports of honda's, kawasaki's, yamaha's, and other such bikes for 1200 (125cc)-2500(1325cc) RMB.

Supposedly, these bikes come direct from the factory, and are 'illegal' in the sense that they have not gone through customs. That's the story that they are feeding.

As much as I hope this to be true I am highly suspicious and skeptical. Saw posts claiming that maybe these can sometimes be frankenbikes or have been crashed. The dealer promises they haven't been, and even though I trust him more than others, I am still skeptical.

However, one thing that does inspire confidence is that an online dealer of the same bikes offers an 18 month full waranty (though that is not that long, it seems very good for China!), and 36 months for the starter motor....

Anyone have any other comments or suggestions?
    Last edited by wanglong; 09-12-2010 at 01:47 AM.

2. #2 Re: Cheap Imports: Too good to be true? 
    Hi wanglong,

I'd say you are right to be suspicious, when it seems too good to be true it usually is. It might still be worth considering, however; that's very little money for a jap bike. Do you get to see the bike before buying or do you have to go on faith? Where are you located? Do you care that they will be illegal bikes and impossible to register? Thing is, they might be crashed bikes, illegal stolen bikes or whatever, but for that kind of money it's not a big gamble! For ebike money, i'd take the illegal CBR! Give more details of the bikes and dealer please, it's hard to guess what's really going on!

3. #3 Re: Cheap Imports: Too good to be true? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Actually I went to my dealer/mechanic and he was saying it was a scam. something about sending the wrong bike after paying a 300 rmb shipping fee, and repeating this process arbitrariness making you pay for both trips. After they sent the first wrong one you paid 900 rmb shipping for the first bike, the return, and the sipping of the next....who knows how often they will repeat this until you get the correct one or mired likely finally realize it was a scam and give up all the money already invested....

4. #4 Re: Cheap Imports: Too good to be true? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    This thread reminds me of a posting by Franki many months ago... in which he wrote:

You should see the craftsmanship from the bike smuggle centre. They can turn a totaled bike into a 90% new bike using parts from all 4 Jap makers:blink: They will sell it to someone who is not experienced or careful enough.... The Chinese are very smart people but used it in the wrong places:cursing:
    Why on earth would anyone sell new japanese-made bikes in China for a fraction of their wholesale price, not to mention their retail value? Why?

caveat emptor -- buyer beware!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)