Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Comfortable seat? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Ni hao,
    I have a Shineray XY200GY-7, aka Long march. +7000 km on it so far, no real problems except build quality, but still much worse than Japanese bikes; it still in one piece.
    The major problem is the seat, it's really uncomfortable for rides lasting more than 30minutes. The seat is too soft, and the fabric is smooth unlike modern touring seats; small round grooves that help keep the temperature down and protect the family jewels.
    Last week i found a parts market in Kunming, just outside the second ring. I did not find any Shineray dealers, but I found an seat that fits from Jialing. Anyone has such a seat? You find it comfortable? If you had to buy a replacement, where did you buy it ?
    I'm also considering finding a carpenter to change the filling to something harder
    the ugly seat

rear clamps

Notice the clamp?

the underside

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks

2. #2 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Slabo,

If it helps, I can say the JH600 stock seat is extremely confortable, at least under my reasonably unpadded arsch. I've ridden 12 hours at a go, with no complaints -- something I cannot say for the stock seat on my KLR650.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks, good to know Jialing are capable of making good saddles. Anyone here tried Jialing's 125cc offroad bikes? How was the saddle after a long ride? Did a search for motorcycle saddle 摩托车的座垫 on Taobao, this is the closest I came up with. The underside looks similar, but I'm not sure it's comfortable. For that price it's worth a try. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3396336520

4. #4 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    I purchased some gel seat pads for Felix, Daniel and I, and we were all pretty happy with the comfort they added to the Galaxy XTR's. I couldn't find decent gel pads in China, so I ended up getting them at a motorcycle show in Taiwan. You could probably get some harder foam and a gel pad and have it sown into your seat to make it better.

Another thing that I tried during my (about to end) USA trip, is LD Comfort motorcycle underwear. I was skeptical at first, but it's amazing what the right underwear will do for increasing your riding comfort. If you're wearing cotton, it's not very good for your butt.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ... For that price it's worth a try. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3396336520
    Genuine Jialing parts (old style/ Thick) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4277539627
    Last edited by humanbeing; 09-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.

6. #6 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Geniune Jialing parts (old style/ Thick) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4277539627
    Thanks, I'm ordering this seat. For now, I'll try that, if it doesn't work, i'll find a carpenter to do the job properly.

Another thing that I tried during my (about to end) USA trip, is LD Comfort motorcycle underwear. I was skeptical at first, but it's amazing what the right underwear will do for increasing your riding comfort. If you're wearing cotton, it's not very good for your butt.
    I know about that, I wear synthetic underwear, and although it's not motorcycle specific, it does help. On my last long trip to Chengdu, I wore cycling breifs under my pants.

7. #7 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    humanbeing, the taobao shop you linked to doesn't have the exact seat they advertise. They only have a purple seat! That was more than a month ago. I bought the seat pictured below from the local parts market in Kunming.
    P.S. I find it a bit ironic your nickname is humanbeing, given that you seem to know everything.

Feels much better, but still haven't tried it on really long trips. But it's definately better than the stock Shineray seat that came with the bike.

My ass is very thankful for the 70 rmb well spent.

8. #8 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    P.S. I find it a bit ironic your nickname is humanbeing, given that you seem to know everything...
    I'm an Ametuer | ChinaV is the "master" in this forum.
    Around early 90s mainland China "hometown" trips (LONG middle school hoilday | Easter/ Summer/ Christmas ) learns the repair skillz from uncle's shop ONLY. For ex. The DIY "timing light" would KILLS if ... Those were the valuable experience for a curiosity teenage boy

9. #9 Re: Comfortable seat? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Just wanted to throw this link out here - Check out http://www.greatdaytoride.com It may not be useful to anyone outside the US, But it's an option! Check it out. :)