Recently, I have been playing around with bike to bike communication systems.

Back home, one could find a myriad of options at reasonable prices - not really the case here in China. Imported systems are ridiculously expensive. So, this is what I did ... and it is still an evolving process, as I buy/play with various items.

I wanted a non-dedicated MC system. I wanted a system that I could also use for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, etc, without having to wear my MC helmet! And also one that allows easy communication to a car.

So, I purchased a couple of small walkie talkies, with a claimed 8 km range (300 rmb each). Here's a taobao link to what I bought ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5117402347

I then also bought a couple of speaker / handsets that you typically see the police use (in one of my past careers, I used these a lot) ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3457353681

Finally, I purchased a couple of tiny headset systems (very cheap) ...

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...5940f52c48.htm

Then I went out for a ride in the mountains around Beijing with an "old school" friend who was skeptical about this "new fangled" technology.

So, after a little bit of struggling, we managed to get the headsets on and inside our helmets. And away we went.

First thing we noticed was that the PTT (push-to-talk) button on the headset wire was far too small for gloved hands, but we managed.

Second thing we noticed was that it was inconvenient to remove your hand from the handlebar to PTT, but we managed.

Next thing we noticed was that it was fantastic being able to communicate bike to bike ... my riding buddy was sold on the idea within the first few kms.

So, we did a little experiment ... one bike stopped while the other rode ahead, and we tried communicating at 1 km, 2 km, and 3 km, in the mountains. Result was that communication was perfectly clear at 3 kms. We were both quite impressed with the quality of the walkie talkies.

So, after a little while we stopped for a break and then when we tried to put the headsets back on, they didn't seem to fit as well ... for either of us. And after wearing them for an hour, or so, they began to hurt our ears.

The cheap headsets definitely needed to be replaced.

I'd previously tried the lapel clipped speaker / mic setup (police version), but those aren't terribly convenient, especially for riders unfamiliar with how they work (e.g., preventing wind noise, etc), and also understanding the "radio voice". My sweety on her scooter was having difficulty understanding me.

So, I've ordered a new pair of headsets ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3...&cm_id=&pm_id=

with sticky ear pieces and mics, as well as a large PTT button that can be put on your glove or on the handlebar for easy access. I should receive them in a few days.

People have suggested that I use an integrated mobile phone system for communication, but that would mean that my mobile is connected to my head ... and I definitely do NOT want to be receiving calls when riding. I've read the reports that driving while chatting on a cellular phone is actually at least as dangerous as impaired driving ... no thanks ... not on a bike. One of the things I like about riding is being away from my mobile phone.

Anyways, if these forthcoming headsets work adequately, it will be great.

Oh, some other nice things about the walkie talkies is that there are several frequencies available, they are small, have a long lasting rechargeable battery, and it is easy to add as many walkie talkies as you wish. Also, because they are completely portable, one can use them on any bike in one's garage.

We did have some minor interference when we rode through some villages, and heard some Chinese chatter when we were in the middle of Beijing, but perhaps with some experimentation we can find a cleaner channel.

Bottom line - very happy, except for the cheap headsets. These cheap headsets would probably work if one played around with the fitting, and learned how to squeeze one's helmet over top without dislodging the earpiece. They will be fine as backups.

I'd love to hear about your experience with bike-to-bike communications.