Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Interbike communication systems 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Recently, I have been playing around with bike to bike communication systems.

Back home, one could find a myriad of options at reasonable prices - not really the case here in China. Imported systems are ridiculously expensive. So, this is what I did ... and it is still an evolving process, as I buy/play with various items.

I wanted a non-dedicated MC system. I wanted a system that I could also use for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, etc, without having to wear my MC helmet! And also one that allows easy communication to a car.

So, I purchased a couple of small walkie talkies, with a claimed 8 km range (300 rmb each). Here's a taobao link to what I bought ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5117402347

I then also bought a couple of speaker / handsets that you typically see the police use (in one of my past careers, I used these a lot) ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3457353681

Finally, I purchased a couple of tiny headset systems (very cheap) ...

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...5940f52c48.htm

Then I went out for a ride in the mountains around Beijing with an "old school" friend who was skeptical about this "new fangled" technology.

So, after a little bit of struggling, we managed to get the headsets on and inside our helmets. And away we went.

First thing we noticed was that the PTT (push-to-talk) button on the headset wire was far too small for gloved hands, but we managed.

Second thing we noticed was that it was inconvenient to remove your hand from the handlebar to PTT, but we managed.

Next thing we noticed was that it was fantastic being able to communicate bike to bike ... my riding buddy was sold on the idea within the first few kms.

So, we did a little experiment ... one bike stopped while the other rode ahead, and we tried communicating at 1 km, 2 km, and 3 km, in the mountains. Result was that communication was perfectly clear at 3 kms. We were both quite impressed with the quality of the walkie talkies.

So, after a little while we stopped for a break and then when we tried to put the headsets back on, they didn't seem to fit as well ... for either of us. And after wearing them for an hour, or so, they began to hurt our ears.

The cheap headsets definitely needed to be replaced.

I'd previously tried the lapel clipped speaker / mic setup (police version), but those aren't terribly convenient, especially for riders unfamiliar with how they work (e.g., preventing wind noise, etc), and also understanding the "radio voice". My sweety on her scooter was having difficulty understanding me.

So, I've ordered a new pair of headsets ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3...&cm_id=&pm_id=

with sticky ear pieces and mics, as well as a large PTT button that can be put on your glove or on the handlebar for easy access. I should receive them in a few days.

People have suggested that I use an integrated mobile phone system for communication, but that would mean that my mobile is connected to my head ... and I definitely do NOT want to be receiving calls when riding. I've read the reports that driving while chatting on a cellular phone is actually at least as dangerous as impaired driving ... no thanks ... not on a bike. One of the things I like about riding is being away from my mobile phone.

Anyways, if these forthcoming headsets work adequately, it will be great.

Oh, some other nice things about the walkie talkies is that there are several frequencies available, they are small, have a long lasting rechargeable battery, and it is easy to add as many walkie talkies as you wish. Also, because they are completely portable, one can use them on any bike in one's garage.

We did have some minor interference when we rode through some villages, and heard some Chinese chatter when we were in the middle of Beijing, but perhaps with some experimentation we can find a cleaner channel.

Bottom line - very happy, except for the cheap headsets. These cheap headsets would probably work if one played around with the fitting, and learned how to squeeze one's helmet over top without dislodging the earpiece. They will be fine as backups.

I'd love to hear about your experience with bike-to-bike communications.

2. #2 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    I really like your ingenuity, good idea for a simple communication system.

I have a full Autocom system on my V-Strom which I really don't like. It's supposed to be "top of the line", but I think it's just overpriced outdated technology. I purchased a Scala system for my USA trip and love it. Does everything you want to do. Wife, GPS, MP3 and Phone all come through the helmet and I hardly even know it's there. My wife can listen to her music without bothering me and the turn by turn GPS coming through the helmet is great, as I don't ever have to look at the GPS, which makes riding safer.

I don't take phone calls or listen to music while riding, but it's nice to be able to make a quick call to book a hotel or check in with the office without ever removing my helmet. Battery life is about three days, and I made a little charger so they can be topped off from the bike. I was skeptical at first about bluetooth, but they work great.

The only thing left to sort out with these wireless systems is distance, number of parties allowed in conversation, and price. I'm sure they'll all be addressed in the near future with newer models so it's bye bye Autocom for me.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ryanpyle and I used the cardo system during our early rides together, and it's fantastic being able to communicate about hazards, asshats and other dangers, and also just to shoot the breeze. the cardo is bluetooth, so limited to line of sight and about 500m, but when it's working it's great. voice activated. battery lasts 24 hours or more. great fidelity. I think Ryan and Colin are using the Cardo system during their MKRide.

my chinese buddies mostly use citizens band, so everyone is in the same channel together. this requires some discipline. CB has great range, and they swear by it.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Thanks for your replies / input.

I must say that the bluetooth/GPS interface would be wonderful.

Alas, my el-cheapo Garmin Nuvi 200 isn't bluetooth compatible, so I just turn up the volume to maximum, which is a bit embarrassing at traffic lights when the "Female British English" is shouting "Recalculating ... recalculating ... recalculating". I get lots of stares, and sometimes kids in adjacent cars begin practicing their own English, in unison, in rolling fits of laughter. Definitely not in keeping with my cool biker image.

Another thing that would be very nice is rider to passenger communication - walkie talkies seem kind of silly when the person is hugging your back.

I guess, as suggested, there is not yet a perfect system.

It is very interesting that bluetooth can attain 500M distance - that's considerably more than I expected. The VOX (voice activated) system also seems nice ... however, I have a habit of whistling or singing to myself while riding, so I'd probably be quickly thrown out of the group.

5. #5 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yeah, I neglected to mention that the Cardo syncs seamlessly with both my Garmin and my bluetooth phone. In memory, the only call I actually ever took was a unwelcome cold call from a Shanghai property agent, which is a perfect testimony to why I usually keep the bluetooth function on my phone switched off. And when the Garmin is comfortable with my route, it's sometimes useful to have the Garmin Lady assist with turns. The downside, as you've already noted in another context, is that when Garmin Lady is confused about your route it can get very tiresome to hear "recalculating..., recalculating..." at every turn. So I tend to use the GPS in a passive mode -- just displaying where I am -- while I reference a paper map slipped into the map pocket of my tank bag.

Apologies to non-Americans for the following cultural reference, but Garrison Keillor had a fun segment of Guy Noir conversing with Garmin Lady while trying to get out of St Paul to the airport. Not a huge fan of Keillor, but this was hilarious.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    I used a BT comm system in my old helmet, which was capable of GPS, phone, player and rider to pillion communication.

I learned to hate receiving phone calls while riding
    I trust only my own turn by turn instructions anyway
    I don't need to listen to music, other than the one emitted by my engine
    Talking to my wife on the back through the helmet often resulted in quarrels, as the system turned on automatically every time you swear

Never again for me

A set of high output Motorola radios (powered by AA cells) will be with me in the future instead.

Just my 2 fen
    Andy

7. #7 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    I used a BT comm system in my old helmet, which was capable of GPS, phone, player and rider to pillion communication.

I learned to hate receiving phone calls while riding
    I trust only my own turn by turn instructions anyway
    I don't need to listen to music, other than the one emitted by my engine
    Talking to my wife on the back through the helmet often resulted in quarrels, as the system turned on automatically every time you swear

Never again for me

A set of high output Motorola radios (powered by AA cells) will be with me in the future instead.

Just my 2 fen
    Would never trust the turn by turn in China, but it did work flawlessly in America.
    +1 on not listening to music, no band will ever compare to an engine. One thing I really liked about the Scala was the seperate input jack on each unit for an external MP3. It makes the ride more enjoyable for my wife, and we all know about happy wives.
    The great thing about helmet coms is being able to talk to your passenger. The big problem with helmet coms is having to listen to your passenger.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    The great thing about helmet coms is being able to talk to your passenger. The big problem with helmet coms is having to listen to your passenger.
    Dating & girlfriend riding pillion ... dangerous ("Oh, this is exciting" "You are such a man!" "Does it bother you when I hug you tightly?" "Do you think I look sexy on a bike")

Marriage & wife riding pillion ... safety device ("We should slow down!" "I don't like it when the bike leans so much!" "Watch out for _______!" "We need to stop and rest" "Do you think my butt looks big with this armor?").

@ chinabiker - yes, radios powered by AAs is a much better idea. AAs are available everywhere. I've just begun to realize that an internal rechargeable battery is not a great idea for touring.

9. #9 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Funny, i hadn't thought about this until now! I'd been very interested in this thread and had thought about bike-com systems before, but i hadn't realised that more often than not i'd rather not be able to hear what my passenger has to say! And i don't mean that in a bad way, i only carry people that have interesting things to say. It's just that i do love being alone with my thoughts while riding. If someone could interject at any time, i'd quickly regret installing the device. And then how do you switch it off without offending them?

10. #10 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    When cruising around familiar places, the intercom isn't really that necessary, and can sometimes be viewed as an intrusion on your riding "vibe". The wife and I covered over 5,000 kilometers traveling to her hometown in Hubei to get married, and I was quite happy to have someone interpreting signs and pointing out things I never would have seen or understood as a foreigner in China. We then went to America and covered 20,000 kilometers as I introduced her to my home country, and I can't imagine what it would have been like explaining all the things we saw while screaming at each other through helmets. Sometimes women get bored and just want to blab, but I explained to my wife that concentration is the key to safe riding, so she usually keeps the conversation to a minimum.

Like many things...pros and cons / time and place.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast