Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Great write up Richard, looks like a successful endeavor. I saw some car charger units that basically replace the battery with a 12v snap in module for many of the walkie talkies I looked at in Hong Kong. Maybe they have something similar for yours?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #22 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Yes, x2, great work.

Inspired me - so I am going to do the same with my walkie-talkies if I can find similar kit on flEabay. Would be great to use it for communication in some bow-hunting situations too if I fix it to a light skull-cap instead of directly to the helmet. My helmet isn't very tight so it should work that way. Thanks.

3. #23 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Great write up indeed. You, along with ChinaV's ever wise words, have made me interested again. Looks cheap and simple enough. Couple of questions about the setup:

Could you route the 3 cables along the helmet so that they all come down from one point, using duct tape or other precision engineering?

Do you have to keep the button pressed in as you're talking? It just looks like it might be a bit awkward to talk for very long with the button where it is.

Is there any possibility to listen to music through this system, other than the radio? I mean like hooking up an mp3 player. As ChinaV implied, a happy wife...

Finally, nice bike! I think i've seen one just like it on this forum before! +10 on the visibility tape, you've such a large area at the back of that bike, good way to use it. I once went down the same road with my scooter and got a bit carried away...

4. #24 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    I truly don't want to offend anyone, like wife/gf, but I really want one of those visual aids/handwarmers/drink holders for the back of my bike! Can you arrange shipping to Oz please?

On the original topic, I'm having problems finding one here with the retro large earpieces, all the ones I have seen on local flEabay have 'earbuds' which I dislike. Will keep looking.

5. #25 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Could you route the 3 cables along the helmet so that they all come down from one point, using duct tape or other precision engineering?
    Yes, after a genuine road test, two things became apparent:

1) those wires are annoying - so duct tape was used when I was back home. It is actually pretty easy to secure them inside the helmet and route them to a common junction point.

2) the little dab of nail polish is not enough. I had a very weird event on a ride home a couple of days ago. Dusk, and I hit a bird (I think I may have killed the ONLY bird that lives in central Beijing - actually, next to Euphonius' Beijing home, but don't tell him). It glanced off my mirror, and then hit my right luggage box at some weird angle, causing my box's top cover to fly off into traffic. Quickly stopped the bike, dismounted (damn wires!), and ran back to rescue my box top (bird was beyond hope) before some bus/truck might run over it. Got it - returned to bike - huffing and puffing - took me several minutes to figure out where the damn wires reconnect because my drops of nail polish fell off when I did a quick disconnect. This is a Chinese connector, so I didn't want to push too hard unless I was sure it was lined up properly. I need some method of making the DIN connector line-up much more visible in dim light.

Do you have to keep the button pressed in as you're talking? It just looks like it might be a bit awkward to talk for very long with the button where it is.
    Yes, you have to keep the button depressed. I haven't noticed awkwardness with it - however, I have only tested this with my sweety and I have been doing 90% of the listening.

Is there any possibility to listen to music through this system, other than the radio? I mean like hooking up an mp3 player. As ChinaV implied, a happy wife...
    It would be easy to splice in a 3-way switch - so a person would have the option of walkie talkie, or mp3 player, feeding into the ear pieces, but one would cut the other off. The FM radio that is included in my walkie talkies is automatically over-ridden when an incoming communication is received. There may be some walkie talkie out there with an mp3 input jacks, but I haven't seen them (I was shopping in the lower end of the price spectrum).

I once went down the same road with my scooter and got a bit carried away...

After I picked myself off the floor from laughter, I looked closely at the pic, thinking you photo-shopped it ... but no ... it looks 100% genuine! Great, a kindred spirit.

Maybe we should start a "China Hornets Motorcycle Club"?

Btw, I'm usually aghast at matching his/her jogging suits, etc ... but this looks kinda cool!

6. #26 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    It would be easy to splice in a 3-way switch - so a person would have the option of walkie talkie, or mp3 player, feeding into the ear pieces, but one would cut the other off. The FM radio that is included in my walkie talkies is automatically over-ridden when an incoming communication is received. There may be some walkie talkie out there with an mp3 input jacks, but I haven't seen them (I was shopping in the lower end of the price spectrum).
    You could also plug one of those FM transmitters into your mp3 player and then tune into the signal on your walkie talkie. That would probably work quite well since the walkie talkie cuts the FM during communication.

Does your setup have VOX or just PTT?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #27 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    ChinaV, good suggestion. It's all getting very convoluted though. Sigh...

Lao Jia Huo, I was thinking about your wires and though i agree the handlebars may be the best location for the PTT switch, it does mean you have to disconnect everything every time you want to get off the bike. Is it worth it? Would it not be handier to attach it to your index finger where you could push it with your thumb easily enough, but it would still come with you when you want to take a quick wizz in the bushes?

As for your awkward-to-line-up connections, maybe just wrap colour-coded electrical tape around the jacks and draw a line in black marker where they should line up?

The costume is indeed all real. I covered the bike and helmet with tape one bored day and loved the look. The next halloween, i didn't have to think too long for an idea... Now for your enjoyment, here is The Crotch Appreciation Dance!

8. #28 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    It is absolutely no wonder the Chinese government think we westerners are all depraved daemons with long noses and long other parts that just want to despoil their wives and daughters ... you have probably put back democracy in C by a few years with that dance alone!

9. #29 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    You could also plug one of those FM transmitters into your mp3 player and then tune into the signal on your walkie talkie. That would probably work quite well since the walkie talkie cuts the FM during communication.

Does your setup have VOX or just PTT?
    Both good suggestions - so I tried it out.

Last question first - yes, the walkie talkies I bought have VOX. So I tried it out in my apartment, and it works. No need for the PTT button. It allows you to use just the ear pieces and the microphone, which eliminates the wire attachment to the bike/PTT button.

First question - I then tried out my iPod with the Belkin FM transmitter used for cars - it also works through the walkie talkie, but it appears to be in mono. Sounds ok, I guess, but definitely inferior to stereo ear buds. The music will cut out when the walkie talkie is used for communcation. During my "test", the music did not automatically start again when you stop communicating, however the user's manual appears to suggest that there is a setting where you can have the FM (music) automatically restart after a certain period of quiet time. I am not entirely sure about that, as my Chinese reading skills are lacking.

10. #30 Re: Interbike communication systems 
    Lao Jia Huo, I was thinking about your wires and though i agree the handlebars may be the best location for the PTT switch, it does mean you have to disconnect everything every time you want to get off the bike. Is it worth it? Would it not be handier to attach it to your index finger where you could push it with your thumb easily enough, but it would still come with you when you want to take a quick wizz in the bushes?
    It is definitely an inconvenience having the PTT wire connected to the bike. Right now, I am quite aware of the connection because it is a new toy. Undoubtedly, though, it won't be long before I forget and leave the bike while still attached. The DIN connectors would hopefully separate before I pull the bike over.

When I was researching this, I saw some set-ups where the PTT button was pictured as being attached to a finger. It is certainly an option. And you are correct - you would be completely self-contained for a quick wizz, assuming you've waterproofed the PTT button.

All said, being able to communicate with a riding buddy over vast distances is definitely a HUGE plus.

As for your awkward-to-line-up connections, maybe just wrap colour-coded electrical tape around the jacks and draw a line in black marker where they should line up?
    Good idea - I've enough extra black/yellow safety tape for just this ... but not enough for a costume (my girth would require two rolls).

Now for your enjoyment, here is The Crotch Appreciation Dance!
    +10 to you for publicly revealing the effects of alcohol.

Cheers
    Richard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast