Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    Hi Guys,

I decided to get a motorcycle this time. I'm looking at the 250cc range but I need to be sensitive about the seat height as I'm 5'6" (167cm) and would like both feet to touch the ground. Any recommendations?

Is the Honda Rebel or Yamaha Virago being sold in Shanghai? What are your thoughts about the Yamaha YBR250?

-Wrangler

2. #2 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    Take a look of the great ride report by Tokyokid, who rode a YBR250 for his tour of Tibet: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ngdu-Lhasa-Ali). YBR250 is popular in Shanghai, and is well regarded. A bit pricy, and probably not suited for your height.

The one I'd recommend is GN250. It has been around for quite a while and is considered by some as out of style. However, if reliability and getting-there are your priorities, you can't beat its price and function. The seat height is quite reasonable as well. I owned one for over 6-7 years prior to my purchase of JH600. If you don't mind its top speed of only around 115km, it may fit the bill for you.

Don't know if the Honda Rebel or Yamaha Virago are being sold in Shanghai or not. Kind of doubt it.

3. #3 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have a Honda Rebel and would not recommend it. It's fun and fast but the brakes are awful. I also dislike the skinny front tire (why the heck did they make that design decision in the first place? I much prefer the fat tire on the Suzuki Windstorm but 150 vs. 250). Also have not seen this bike in the stores here before. I got mine used in Jiangsu. A much better buy would be the Regal Raptor variant with the dual front and single rear disc brakes. There are a few Viragos around town but I have not seen one in the shops before either.

Had I my druthers, I'd buy the Regal Raptor DD250 G-2. I prefer the seating position to the cruiser style "E" bikes. ZMC88 has one and has written here about it quite a bit.

4. #4 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Had I my druthers, I'd buy the Regal Raptor DD250 G-2. I prefer the seating position to the cruiser style "E" bikes. ZMC88 has one and has written here about it quite a bit.
    Out of curiosity I went through ZMC88's posts on Regal Raptor DD250G-2. One probably needs be fairly mechanically skilled in order to enjoy that bike. Read thoroughly those posts at: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ghlight=raptor

5. #5 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    I went to the Regal Raptor dealer today and took a look at their bikes. I am by no means an expert but I was impressed, especially with the cruisers. For the DD250G2 street bike and the DD250E they were quoting both at 13,800 RMB, unnegotiated. The water cooled version of the cruiser was 16,800. This was a little higher than I expected from the posts I've been reading. But maybe it's because this is Shanghai, the bikes were EU 3 (I think), and the posts were a year ago. Anyone get one recently and can tell me if these prices are about right?

6. #6 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    That sounds really expensive. My friends each bought a water cooled DD250e a year a go and they were around 12 each. These were in Wujiang, Jiangsu however. They both get warranty repairs and such and quite enjoy their bikes. Getting a plate with a Jiangsu residence permit costs 1500 !

7. #7 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I see one of those RR 250s (not sure which model) parked on the side of Kangding Lu about 200m west of the little bar alley that contains Rudy Wimmer's Kaiba Belgian Beer Bar, near the corner of Xikang Lu, in Jing'an District. Have never seen the rider, but have marveled that the bike has not already been "redistributed" to Jiangsu...

fun-looking bike.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 11-10-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    Don't make me cry. For the plates I was quoted 44,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    That sounds really expensive. My friends each bought a water cooled DD250e a year a go and they were around 12 each. These were in Wujiang, Jiangsu however. They both get warranty repairs and such and quite enjoy their bikes. Getting a plate with a Jiangsu residence permit costs 1500 !

9. #9 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    PM me

10. #10 Re: Your Thoughts - Best 250 Bike to Purchase in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    how about a CFMoto Jetmax maxi scooter... do a search and read my reports.