Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Life Saving Sticker 
    Just read the great ride report by Pfaelzer at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...uddy-in-Fujian and saw the sticker (as attached).

I feel compelled to point out an often overlooked fact that in China hospitals WILL NOT admit you, even in emergency, unless you first make an estimated prepayment, which may run into thousands of dollars. No money no treatment, simple as that. However, there are technical difficulties to meet this requirement if you were involved in an accident and rendered unconscious. We motorcycle riders are probably closer to this possibility than all other people on the road. I am probably a bit paranoid about this and always bring with me a sticker or note in my wallet to make sure someone can foot the bill for me under any circumstances, conscious or unconscious. Just a reminder: TIC.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Life Saving Sticker 
    Gotta say knowing China, this is a great idea.

The insurance in China works by you paying first, then they pay 50-80% (depending on policy) later. This is quite obviously to prevent fraud. Obviously the problem is that you need to hand over money for treatment first.

Then there is also a separate problem. The hospitals and doctors have grown accustomed to receiving a 'hong bao' (red envelope) before any serious surgery is performed (Yes this is a bribe to make sure you are treated properly). The expected amount varies from region to region and to how serous the surgery will be. Recommended amounts are 200, 300, 500, 600, 800 or 1000 (Amounts 400, 700 and 900 should be avoided as they are unlucky, and 100 will certainly be considered too low). I personally recommend 600 or 800! I know this an extra cost that really shouldn't exist, and some people may be tempted to become stubborn and refuse to pay. TIC though.... These days cash needn't be given, a pre-paid card for a local department store or supermarket will do quite nicely too!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.