Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Newcomer

1. #1 Newcomer 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys,

Very happy to find this website..
    I am in Shanghai for almost a year now now and have just passed my Chinese driving license (the one with 1500 questions... ).
    I am now looking for a bike.
    I used to ride Minsk bikes when I was in Vietnam and have experiences a one year trip from Hanoi to Paris (info on www.minsktour2002.com).
    It looks that China can also offer great trips.
    See you on the roads,
    Cheers.

2. #2 Re: Newcomer 
    Welcome Maxiu. There are plenty of reports here about various chinese bikes, where to get them, how much, how to modify etc. etc. Have a good look around and let us know what you decide to get! I tried to have a look at your website but kept getting:
    The connection has timed out
    The server at www.minsktour2002.com is taking too long to respond

I will try again later.

3. #3 Re: Newcomer 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Jape for the tips,
    I will have a look now (difficult to work this sunday..!).

4. #4 Re: Newcomer 
    Hi maxiu, welcome to the forum. What a trip! I've been in suzhou for a few years, moving to shanghai in november. Would love to meet up for a couple of beers and hear more about your trip, particularly the middle-eastern parts where not so many people venture out! I would also be glad to help you out with any questions about riding china.
    I think the Galaxy XTR 250 is a good all-rounder for touring china, good suspension, pretty reliable, cheap enough, legally registerable, looks good in pictures.... But then again i'm a little biased.

5. #5 Re: Newcomer 
    Got the link working today, lots to look at, thanks.

"Il n'est pas rare de la voir, au Vietnam, chargée de 3 cochons, de 15 chiens, de 50 poules, de 6 personnes, de 10 vélos ou même de 2 Minsk."

Looks like it is the same as China from what folk there report! I am in Australia and I got pulled up by the cops for having a longbow and quiver tied along the frame, sod 'em. Got away without a fine but sometimes I think these so-called '3rd world dictatorships' are freer than we so-called democracies. Do you have a dvd of that epic trip?

6. #6 Re: Newcomer 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hello, Maxiu. (Belated) welcome to Shanghai, and glad you found us. I'm away but will be returning in several weeks. I'm keen to start organizing an informal "bike night" where those of us bonded by our love of motorcycling, as well as a few scars, can gather for fellowship. Maybe biweekly. If ever there was a place where riders needed to band together, it's China.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)