Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    C-Moto Guru
    @Milton: My first try would be the eastern section of Beijing Lu - until 3 years ago it was just as much paradise euphonius describes...
    Just south of the Suzhou creek, close to the bund.

2. #12 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    @Milton: My first try would be the eastern section of Beijing Lu - until 3 years ago it was just as much paradise euphonius describes...
    Just south of the Suzhou creek, close to the bund.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

3. #13 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    Give a shout before you go Milton! (sms)

4. #14 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    the place you are looking for is indeed along beijing lu about three blocks east of tibet road. I'm thinking the cross street is probably Zhejiang Lu. The whole district is nothing but tool stores, but there's a nicer place that's set back from the street. the ground floor has very high ceilings, two floors high. not a claustrophobic place. inside there is a counter for every major brand of Chinese tools. Look for the SATA counter; it's green.

The place will blow your mind.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Before I make a toolkit, I must first have at least some relevant motorcycle wrenching experience. For now, I just know how to change the oil (broke the cap once, didn't know it's plastic) and maybe adjust and lube cables. Maintenance book is on the way. But what's item #23 on in ChinaV's original post?

6. #16 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    But what's item #23 on in ChinaV's original post?
    Its a doovalacky. You hit things with it when all else fails mate - as opposed to a thingumabob which is always kept somewhere near the whatchamacalliit and is always on the workshop bench at home when you need it.

It is not a 'special service tool' which is required only by first degree 'mechanics of the secret order of arcane bs' and serves mainly to frustrate you so you will pay high charges after breaking your nails, getting at least three blood blisters, ripping your trousers, losing an eye and finally giving up. 'Special service tools' don't actually exist in this dimension, they can be ritually invoked with gold, US dollars or sometimes, in extreme cases, blood. When invoked into this realm by bs adepts they take on the appearance of something you can make yourself with a bottle cap, two bits of wire, an adhesive band-aid and belly button fluff.

Don't be fooled, if you have no arcane metaphysical bs training in 'glamour', they will fall into a heap of unrelated component parts, as will you. Then you require the doovalacky and you hit things. Simple.

7. #17 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    Item #23 - Safety wire pliers. These can be used as pliers, wire cutters and as a safety wire tool (pull the round thingy and it twists the wire). You would be amazed at how many things you can fix with safety wire. The basics here.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #18 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    A small air pump can be a life saver when you're out in the boonies. I'm amazed at how many people tell me they don't carry one. Along with the pump, you should have a patch kit for tubes, or a plug kit for tubeless tires.

I was looking into a portable air pump on Taobao this morning since my scooter has a tire that is slowly losing air again and I'm getting tired of always looking for some place to inflate my tire over and over again. This is already the 3rd-4th time in 6 months! Is it me not being cautious where I drive or is the Chinese always leaving their shit (glass, screws, you name it) everywhere on the streets? I assume the latter!

Anyway, I found this on taobao:

This looks very similar to the air pump in ChinaV's original post!?
    Anyone has any experience with Slime Tire Sealant that is included in the set with the air pump? Any other suggestion on products for fixing tubeless tires (and available in China)?

Furthermore I found this portable air pump on Taobao, which is a bit more in the Chinese price-range!

9. #19 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    The first one you linked to is indeed the same as mine. I think I only paid about $35.00 when I bought it in America. The inexpensive one seems just fine Maybe this one is a little better with the built in gauge. Slime also has a cheapo that I can't find on Taobao, the tire top off comes with built in pressure gauge and all for only about $10.

There's not much to these pumps, just a mini compressor, hoses and cables. I will say that mine has been beaten to hell on many kilometers of China roads and still works fine. The cheapo ones use a lot of plastic parts, so be sure to keep them protected from abuse.

The slime sealant does work pretty good. They claim it cleans off with just water, but I've heard some people say it's a bit messy when it comes time for a new tire.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: Don't leave home without it 
    C-Moto Guru
    There also the same one as I linked before with pressure gauge for 6 kuai more.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast