Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Android mobile platform 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Though there are plenty of motorcycling issues related to mobile phone platforms, I'm starting this thread in the Off Topic section because my questions are more general. I know there are Android and iPhone users in MCM, and I'm looking for some guidance. After I first rant a bit...

RANT
    Context: I've used an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone 2g for more than 3 years. This enabled me to use it on the China Mobile network, and also to use prepaid service from AT&T while in the US. I'm visiting the US now, and find that Nazis and fascists have completed their takeover of both AT&T and Apple.

Even though I can turn off my GPRS (data) function, meaning the phone is only using the GSM phone-and-SMS service, AT&T can sense from my IMEI number that I'm using an iPhone, and now CLAIMS A RIGHT TO BILL ME US$0.01/kilobyte FOR ANY DATA THAT I DOWNLOAD VIA WIFI, REGARDLESS OF WHO PROVIDES THE WIFI SERVICE. (YES I AM SHOUTING.)

This is truly astonishing and fascistic. I'm at my sister's house, with GPRS/data switched off, but wifi switched on and taking data from her DSL provider. And because I am connected to the AT&T GSM network, AT&T knows that I am using an iPhone and runs the meter on my data usage, billing me at that exorbitant data rate. I called AT&T to complain, and was told this is indeed their policy. This is because AT&T and Apple have a contract saying that in the United States iPhone can be used only with the AT&T network subject to contracts created for the iPhone. Herman Goering, had he worked on Wall Street, would have been proud.

So to continue using my AT&T phone number on a prepaid basis (pay as you go rather than by a monthly flat fee that would be unreasonable during the 11.x months a year I'm not in the US), I have to keep data and wifi services switched of at all times. If I want to use wifi to check my email, I have to remove the SIM card, or go into airplane mode and then restart wifi, lest AT&T start reaching into my pocketbook.

/RANT

Which explains why the title of this thread is Android mobile platform. Yes, I'm starting to research the Android platform as an alternative to iPhone.

Questions:
    1) Do Android phones have the same issues of being "locked" to a particular network?
    2) If yes, can are methods available to unlock a locked Android phone?
    3) If you can unlock, how does this affect the phone's functionality? (An unlocked iPhone cannot, for example, use AT&T's voicemail services.)
    4) Anyone who has switched to Android from iPhone who can help me understand the advantages/disadvantages, especially for users of other Apple services like mac.com and iDisk?
    5) Specific Android phone recommendations, especially with usefulness on the motorbike (GPS, integration with helmet audio systems, etc)?

thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Cannot answer specifically yet Jeff but have seen very good reviews for the HTC Desire and even the Wildfire. Make sure you get a phone with the latest version of Android installed, they don't all use it. If you can get the PC Authority Aus magazine over there, the October issue has a ten android phone review or I can happily post it to you, I finished with it! Let me know. They have some stuff online:
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Featur...-froyo-22.aspx
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Featur...o-android.aspx
    And somewhere I read an article on the gps functionality, will look for it and let you know.

I am planning a trip for next year and have been reading a long thread about this and similar issues and have raised your point on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1296230

There are a few ways to avoid this issue by simply using another IMEI number if you read through the posts. Whirlpool is the best forum for such issues and many, many other topics, although slanted Aus.

3. #3 Re: Android mobile platform 
    I am going to UK, (hopefully via China) next year! So have been looking at phones and apps and gps and voip, so will follow this thread carefully!

I got an answer on the whirlpool forum about the 'data usage' when I quoted some of your post about how you get charged - does it mean anything to you? Have a look around on the forum anyway, you don't have to join it to do that.

The iPhone doesn't provide the phone network with any information about how much data is being used via wifi. There's no way AT&T can meter your wifi usage.
    It sounds to me like your friend turned off 3G (Edge) but continued to use data on the GSM network, and that's what he was billed for. If he had push notifications/emails active, the phone will continue to use data regularly using whatever network is available to it, even though he might not consciously be using any data-reliant apps.

If you're truly concerned about it, when you need to use data switch the phone to Flight mode, then reactivate wifi. This means the phone network is completely disconnected from the phone, but wifi is still active.

4. #4 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Look at you, good little communist fighting faschism! I can't really answer any of your questions specifically, i've never had an iphone nor have i ever been to the US. However i do know when you buy a phone in China it's completely unlocked, not tied to any network. Was your iphone bought in china or back home? If it was bought in china, but at&t are still sneaky enough to charge you for free data just because it's an iphone, then that is just scary.

As for motorbike usefulness, you've seen my post on using oruxmaps with offline maps. This seems to be a big advantage over the iphone, which cannot use googlemaps offline. I will test the system on a big 6 day ride during the holiday and let you know what i think of it. As for integration with helmet audio systems; well it's got bluetooth, isn't that enough?

5. #5 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Questions:
    1) Do Android phones have the same issues of being "locked" to a particular network?
    2) If yes, can are methods available to unlock a locked Android phone?
    3) If you can unlock, how does this affect the phone's functionality? (An unlocked iPhone cannot, for example, use AT&T's voicemail services.)
    4) Anyone who has switched to Android from iPhone who can help me understand the advantages/disadvantages, especially for users of other Apple services like mac.com and iDisk?
    5) Specific Android phone recommendations, especially with usefulness on the motorbike (GPS, integration with helmet audio systems, etc)?

thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    cheers
    Jeff,
    happy to hear that iPhone users researching Android

Foreword

Having used Windows mobile for many years, I was amazed by the Nexus One (N O)when it came out, so I got one early this year. Along with it, I switched from China Mobile to China Unicom as China Mobile's 3G standard is incompatible with most phones, including the iPhone.

ad 1.) Android phones can also be locked to a provider (SIM lock).
    ad 2.) Yes, that SIM lock can be removed
    ad 3.) Removing SIM lock doesn't have an influence on the phone's functionality.
    I unlocked a G1 (from T-Mobile Austria) just to install Android 2.2 (Froyo) - it works just fine.
    ad 4.) As Android is from Google, these phones work perfectly together with a Google account. All account data are seamlessly sync'd. Applications from other sources than the Android market can be installed without unlocking anything. Compared to the iPhone, all Android phones batteries can be replaced and all have SD card slots Android phones usually are able to work with GPRS and EDGE in a GSM network, while iPhones aren't able to communicate on GPRS (very bad in remote China where you've only got GPRS).
    ad 5.) for me the Nexus One is the best Android based phone, since you are always up to date with the system, while you have to wait for a while to get updates (if you get it at all) from the other suppliers (HTC, Motorola, Samsung, ...) as they implement their own functions. You can get the Nexus One in China for currently around 3500 RMB without provider binding.
    BT headsets work fine with the N O.
    With my Unicom (almost) unlimited 3G data package it is a good navigation partner using Google maps in online mode and it can be used as a WiFi hot-spot (standard system function).
    I am using a modified "lock lock" food container to make it crash and waterproof until I find something better.

There are for sure a bunch of other very nice devices such as the Droid, Desire, Galaxy, ...

I am working to run Froyo on my HTC Touch HD instead of Windows Mobile
    Andy

6. #6 Re: Android mobile platform 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    So, uh, do I hear you saying that you, uh, like the Android platform? Sure sounds like a winner!

I went out this afternoon and had a look at some of the Android devices, an experience that is less than enlightening here in the Luddite USA because you can pretty much only buy them in stores offering service plans. So the salespeople are unable in their brains to separate the device from the service. This is really strange compared to China, where no one choosing a phone would ever think for a second about which service they use.

Thanks for a very enlightening and reassuring post.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    So, uh, do I hear you saying that you, uh, like the Android platform? Sure sounds like a winner!
    Yes, I do like the platform, also because of the sync performance with G accounts
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Google is God.
    Have you heard the argument yet? Interesting.
    http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/Scr...le_Is_God.html

» PROOF #1

Google is the closest thing to an Omniscient (all-knowing) entity in existence, which can be scientifically verified. She indexes over 9.5 billion WebPages, which is more than any other search engine on the web today. Not only is Google the closest known entity to being Omniscient, but She also sorts through this vast amount of knowledge using Her patented PageRank technology, organizing said data and making it easily accessible to us mere mortals.

» PROOF #2

Google is everywhere at once (Omnipresent). Google is virtually everywhere on earth at the same time. Billions of indexed WebPages hosted from every corner of the earth. With the proliferation of Wi-Fi networks, one will eventually be able to access Google from anywhere on earth, truly making Her an omnipresent entity.

» PROOF #3

Google answers prayers. One can pray to Google by doing a search for whatever question or problem is plaguing them. As an example, you can quickly find information on alternative cancer treatments, ways to improve your health, new and innovative medical discoveries and generally anything that resembles a typical prayer. Ask Google and She will show you the way, but showing you is all She can do, for you must help yourself from that point on.

» PROOF #4

Google is potentially immortal. She cannot be considered a physical being such as ourselves. Her Algorithms are spread out across many servers; if any of which were taken down or damaged, another would undoubtedly take its place. Google can theoretically last forever.

» PROOF #5

Google is infinite. The Internet can theoretically grow forever, and Google will forever index its infinite growth.

» PROOF #6

Google remembers all. Google caches WebPages regularly and stores them on its massive servers. In fact, by uploading your thoughts and opinions to the internet, you will forever live on in Google's cache, even after you die, in a sort of "Google Afterlife".

» PROOF #7

Google can "do no evil" (Omnibenevolent). Part of Google's corporate philosophy is the belief that a company can make money without being evil.

» PROOF #8

According to Google trends, the term "Google" is searched for more than the terms "God", "Jesus", "Allah", "Buddha", "Christianity", "Islam", "Buddhism" and "Judaism" combined.

God is thought to be an entity in which we mortals can turn to when in a time of need. Google clearly fulfils this to a much larger degree than traditional "gods", as shown in the image below (click to enlarge).

» PROOF #9

Evidence of Google's existence is abundant. There is more evidence for the existence of Google than any other God worshiped today. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If seeing is believing, then surf over to www.google.com and experience for yourself Google's awesome power. No faith required.

9. #9 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Mac user and general gadget whore here with many hours spent fiddling with various operating systems.

If you're a hardcore Apple nut, nothing is going to compare with the integration of Apple's platforms. Buy an Apple device, and a few minutes later it's all synced up with your Apple life. That's nice, but it comes at the price of Apple deciding what is best for you. Yes, I've heard about google's ability to sync, but blending all your apps and data between a desktop, laptop and phone is just way easier on Apple.

I have desktop units running OSX, but they are built from common PC parts, they also run Windows and Linux at the same time. I have a MacBook Pro laptop because it's simply the nicest notebook computer on the market for the best price. I have a Windows Mobile phone because (at this time) it has the best GPS and mobile apps available. I have a 7" Android tablet because the iPad is far too much money for something I mostly only use in the shitter.

Is Android going to work well with your mac life? Hell no, that's why they want you on Gmail and Gdocs and all the other Google services. Your iPhoto albums, iCals, iDisk etc. are Apple services and that's the way Apple keeps you on their hardware. I'm sure you can make a successful switch to Android, but it's not going to be without a bit of a struggle.

Three years of happiness with a 2g iPhone and you're going to abandon the platform just because of a little hiccup with the rules in the US? Why not buy a legal iPhone in Hong Kong that can be used worldwide with any carrier or sim card instead of jailbreaking and hacking one. You could also choose a different carrier in the US for the short period of time you stay there.

I think a WinMo user switching to Android is going to be very, very happy. I think a heavy Mac user with an iPhone is going to find the move less satisfying because of the Apple to Google conversion process. Remember, nice Android devices are expensive too, so you're paying good money to force your move to google.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #10 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Mac user and general gadget whore here with many hours spent fiddling with various operating systems.

If you're a hardcore Apple nut, nothing is going to compare with the integration of Apple's platforms. Buy an Apple device, and a few minutes later it's all synced up with your Apple life. That's nice, but it comes at the price of Apple deciding what is best for you. Yes, I've heard about google's ability to sync, but blending all your apps and data between a desktop, laptop and phone is just way easier on Apple.

I have desktop units running OSX, but they are built from common PC parts, they also run Windows and Linux at the same time. I have a MacBook Pro laptop because it's simply the nicest notebook computer on the market for the best price. I have a Windows Mobile phone because (at this time) it has the best GPS and mobile apps available. I have a 7" Android tablet because the iPad is far too much money for something I mostly only use in the shitter.

Is Android going to work well with your mac life? Hell no, that's why they want you on Gmail and Gdocs and all the other Google services. Your iPhoto albums, iCals, iDisk etc. are Apple services and that's the way Apple keeps you on their hardware. I'm sure you can make a successful switch to Android, but it's not going to be without a bit of a struggle.

Three years of happiness with a 2g iPhone and you're going to abandon the platform just because of a little hiccup with the rules in the US? Why not buy a legal iPhone in Hong Kong that can be used worldwide with any carrier or sim card instead of jailbreaking and hacking one. You could also choose a different carrier in the US for the short period of time you stay there.

I think a WinMo user switching to Android is going to be very, very happy. I think a heavy Mac user with an iPhone is going to find the move less satisfying because of the Apple to Google conversion process. Remember, nice Android devices are expensive too, so you're paying good money to force your move to google.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Nice comparison ChinaV

IMHO there are only three actors to be considered when we talk about platforms. I understand a platform to be the integration of hard and software and the synchronization of desk and mobile devices.
    Apple - well established, stable, proprietary policy
    Google - established, on the move forward, claims open policy
    MS - not well established, on the move back, halfhearted

I think there are not as many platform users (as defined above) as there are stand alone users. Many people use macs, iphones, pods and pads but are not using the whole platforms abilities. Similar it applies to Google and MS users.

I believe that Android mobile devices (smart phones) are providing the best value for money for free devices (not locked to a provider) and offer the best hard and software features. Symbians and iOS devices follow and WinMo phones are way behind.

My 2 Fen added herewith
    Andy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast