Though there are plenty of motorcycling issues related to mobile phone platforms, I'm starting this thread in the Off Topic section because my questions are more general. I know there are Android and iPhone users in MCM, and I'm looking for some guidance. After I first rant a bit...

RANT
Context: I've used an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone 2g for more than 3 years. This enabled me to use it on the China Mobile network, and also to use prepaid service from AT&T while in the US. I'm visiting the US now, and find that Nazis and fascists have completed their takeover of both AT&T and Apple.

Even though I can turn off my GPRS (data) function, meaning the phone is only using the GSM phone-and-SMS service, AT&T can sense from my IMEI number that I'm using an iPhone, and now CLAIMS A RIGHT TO BILL ME US$0.01/kilobyte FOR ANY DATA THAT I DOWNLOAD VIA WIFI, REGARDLESS OF WHO PROVIDES THE WIFI SERVICE. (YES I AM SHOUTING.)

This is truly astonishing and fascistic. I'm at my sister's house, with GPRS/data switched off, but wifi switched on and taking data from her DSL provider. And because I am connected to the AT&T GSM network, AT&T knows that I am using an iPhone and runs the meter on my data usage, billing me at that exorbitant data rate. I called AT&T to complain, and was told this is indeed their policy. This is because AT&T and Apple have a contract saying that in the United States iPhone can be used only with the AT&T network subject to contracts created for the iPhone. Herman Goering, had he worked on Wall Street, would have been proud.

So to continue using my AT&T phone number on a prepaid basis (pay as you go rather than by a monthly flat fee that would be unreasonable during the 11.x months a year I'm not in the US), I have to keep data and wifi services switched of at all times. If I want to use wifi to check my email, I have to remove the SIM card, or go into airplane mode and then restart wifi, lest AT&T start reaching into my pocketbook.

/RANT

Which explains why the title of this thread is Android mobile platform. Yes, I'm starting to research the Android platform as an alternative to iPhone.

Questions:
1) Do Android phones have the same issues of being "locked" to a particular network?
2) If yes, can are methods available to unlock a locked Android phone?
3) If you can unlock, how does this affect the phone's functionality? (An unlocked iPhone cannot, for example, use AT&T's voicemail services.)
4) Anyone who has switched to Android from iPhone who can help me understand the advantages/disadvantages, especially for users of other Apple services like mac.com and iDisk?
5) Specific Android phone recommendations, especially with usefulness on the motorbike (GPS, integration with helmet audio systems, etc)?

thanks in advance for any suggestions...
cheers