Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Unlocked Google Maps Navigation for Android.

Includes Chi map shift correction.
    Andy

2. #42 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post

Yup, that's the updated version of the Brut one I linked to here. FYI, It can't read the Chinese street names without changing the system language to Chinese. It will still tell you to turn left in 100 meters, but it won't tell you the street name unless you change the language.

Don't know why they say "fix for map shift issue in China", all versions of googlemaps on Android and winmobile have always had the offset corrected.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #43 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Yup, that's the updated version of the Brut one I linked to here. FYI, It can't read the Chinese street names without changing the system language to Chinese. It will still tell you to turn left in 100 meters, but it won't tell you the street name unless you change the language.

Don't know why they say "fix for map shift issue in China", all versions of googlemaps on Android and winmobile have always had the offset corrected.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Oops, that was the thread I was looking for, and thanks to bring some light onto the China mapshift issue.
    Andy

4. #44 Re: Android mobile platform 
    great info on this thread. thanks guys
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

5. #45 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post

So other than the map-shift issue, which is a non-issue, all this provides is more robust caching of the tiles?

Using this version makes me nervous, the package has so many permissions that who knows what kind of backdoor or spyware the app might be installing. There have been some apps out there that root your Android phone behind the scenes and install a root kit, this seems like its just begging for this treatment.
    --
    Biking Newbie | Boston: Ninja 250 | Beijing: Citify E-Scooter | No Chinese License. :(
    My Novice Experiences in China | My Photography

6. #46 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    So other than the map-shift issue, which is a non-issue, all this provides is more robust caching of the tiles?

Using this version makes me nervous, the package has so many permissions that who knows what kind of backdoor or spyware the app might be installing. There have been some apps out there that root your Android phone behind the scenes and install a root kit, this seems like its just begging for this treatment.
    That's why I have a play phone with a play account and a $10 per month play Unicom SIM
    Andy

7. #47 Re: Android mobile platform 
    I have a Google G1, first Android done by Google, a collector by now. I bought it on ebay for US$80 unlocked. Now it has Android 2.2 with the cyanogen mod. Not the best or fastest kid on the block but it does the job.

GPS wise, Google Tracks along with Google Maps and Navigation, is a pretty impressive tool and works well even with the GPRS/Edge network of China Mobile. The sync feature allows to download tracks in your Google Maps account easily. As long as you can deal with the fact that the Chinese maps in map view (not the satellite view) are shifted few tenth meters for outdated cold war type reasons.

For me the openess of the Android platform like for Linux on my laptop is the main criteria of choice. Openess means mods and lot of available applications. As for being spied by Google, I guess if not them it will be another big brother...

Brice

8. #48 Re: Android mobile platform 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Wow, the grand dadi of them all, a G1

If you're looking for something faster, check out the Motorola Defy+ http://www.ch999.com.cn/products7587/ :: waterproof, dustproof, totally motorcycle friendly. I wish I were in China now, this phone is only 1580rmb, that's 250$ i bought my HTC Hero from the same shop about 3 years ago, not the fastest kid on the block, but works. Battery still gets a day+.. I'm not sure if they deliver phones, i got mine from there outlet in Kunming.

9. #49 Re: Android mobile platform 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

Questions:
    1) Do Android phones have the same issues of being "locked" to a particular network?
    2) If yes, can are methods available to unlock a locked Android phone?
    3) If you can unlock, how does this affect the phone's functionality? (An unlocked iPhone cannot, for example, use AT&T's voicemail services.)
    4) Anyone who has switched to Android from iPhone who can help me understand the advantages/disadvantages, especially for users of other Apple services like mac.com and iDisk?
    5) Specific Android phone recommendations, especially with usefulness on the motorbike (GPS, integration with helmet audio systems, etc)?

thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    cheers
    1. Androids are in general more "open" and communal so you can update the system even if you import it.
    2. Try Googleing it, you'll find hundreds of topics discussing it.
    3. It won't affect the phone functionality but you'll probably won't be able to use your provider insurance policy for the phone.

10. #50 Re: Android mobile platform 
    C-Moto Guru
    Btw. anybody noticed - the map shift is gone completly.

I'm not a geek so everything is "stock", recently Google Maps is displaying everything correct. Only thing I need now is a offline function. Downloadinga certain section (bigger then the one allowed now) and using without dataconnection.

Any pointers for a stupid user?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast