Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 freedom of movement 
    Starting off by stating none of this is meant as political comment, just valid queries. I am getting the idea that freedom of movemnet in China for a lot of you, as foreigners, citizens of USA, AUS, NZ, UK, Eire, is now quite open. At least you are going places and often 'off the track'. Forum member Franki goes many great places too but I don't know if that is because he is from HK? Is that counted as Chinese national these days?

Twenty years ago a mate wrote a musical which included a story about a Russian soldier boy and a Uighar lass. Now I have no idea where he got the idea from, he is a mad muso and into weird stuff like pentasomething or other melodies. I did some set design for him and we got on OK so because of my nefarious past he wanted me to sort out logistics for a trip to China to travel in that area - but it all fell at the first hurdle, no visas allowed back then etc.

I will go as UK or Aus. citizen, haven't decided yet. I can go for either as UK passport ran out, so can become Aus. citizen or stay as a Pom. I think new aussies still have to swear and bow to the queen, which doesn't suit me, (never bent over for a queen yet lol). In UK I can spit in the old bag's face, being born there means I don't owe her any allegiance so if that is the case I shall stay UK unless meanwhile Aus becomes a republic. Is it best to be from USA or doesn't it matter much?

I understand from newspapers that there has been much continuing trouble and violence in such ethnic regions and quite frankly I don't care much for politics or religion in any part of the world, or about problems between ethnics and Han chinese or national or local governments. Well I do care but am capable of keeping that to myself. Don't much like anywhere in the world from that perspective!

I intend to travel next year, probably for the last time in my lifetime, to UK and I want to go via China. I am fascinated and enthralled by the posts some of you make. I have read the threads on visa for m'bikes and so on and am aware of the difficulties but I will worry about mode of travel etc. later, this is just first questions. Where is actually open to go?

2. #2 Re: freedom of movement 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great thread start on two levels, Jape. 1) It's legitimate to wonder what, if anything, is still off limits in China (answer: not much) and 2) another epic MCM journey in the formative stages (and you are surely doing this on two wheels, right?)!

As for the first part, we would indeed be wise to stick to the non-political knitting in this forum, to minimize the risk that grandma will start blocking access to MCM for those of us living inside the great firewall. So my preference is to focus on areas that are permitted, rather than those that are not. And the good news here is that there are very very few places foreigners cannot go in China nowadays, regardless of passport. There have been periods when access was limited, as in the aftermath of the disturbances that wracked two large western regions in the past two years. But those restrictions are largely lifted, as has been demonstrated most recently by the MKRide boys, Franki and others. Speaking of Franki, I do not think that HK residents are treated particularly specially when it comes to travel access, and in some cases the Chinese ethnicity can work against them. (Chinese authorities are often friendlier or more deferential and probably less likely to hew to the letter of the law when it's a non-Chinese involved.) Bottom line: China is huge and largely open, and filled with great new roads and many many many underexplored but highly explorable wilderness and rural areas. Do come.

Which leads us to the second matter of your journey. As you'll have read again and again, it's very difficult, but not (necessarily) impossible, to ride into China on a foreign-plated bike. But I would not bank on it. A better bet would be to come on some medium-term gig like a teaching job that would give you a 6- or 12-month residence permit, buy and outfit a bike, quit your "job" and ride the hell out of China, then exit in the general direction of blighty. You probably won't get China out of your system, so maybe you'll ride back too. And not see a eucalyptus or koala or kangaroo the entire while.

Is there more of your plan you might reveal, or have I already spilt the beans?

I'll look forward to riding several legs with you.

Or maybe we can organize a putatively legal Chinese plate for your Kinlon, and you can ride it up, with a couple of ferry rides where necessary...

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: freedom of movement 
    Well mate .... I agree about the politics kept off forum, just wanted those general questions answered and unfortunately have a habit of 'large open mouth' (ready for foot) when discussing - anything!

I do have a long lost daughter appeared recently in UK you know of from conversation between us, but trip to UK is mainly for a last look around before it all dies from greed and pollution/or I kick the bucket whichever comes first.

Yes, I intend to 'ride' if I may, but also hope to get a job (on paper at least lol) that would allow visa and permits if I can. That is all open to time and what I can hustle up. The dream includes time in India as well, but I have no need to ride the whole world, I enjoy 'planes and hot showers too. Happy to buy a 'bike in China, sell and move on. Same in India, an old Enfield there just for a laugh.

Metaphysics and magick has been a life-time journey for me and Daoist magick is something I know absolutely nothing of and want to look into if it isn't politically incorrect or banned. I would happily 'curse' a few western governments to aid the brothers if that would make it more acceptable!

For the first time in many years, I am excited about planning something now I have finally made the decision to sell up, travel, then die with a smile on my face. Mind you, between credit cards, second mortgage and ex and kids, I will probably end up traveling as a mendicant.

But jokes aside, I will pay my way traveling light for a year at least all up and who knows what such open ended journeys lead to? I will certainly look forward very much to a jar or two along the road somewhere with you Jeff, and a JH600 might be my wheels over there as well.