Starting off by stating none of this is meant as political comment, just valid queries. I am getting the idea that freedom of movemnet in China for a lot of you, as foreigners, citizens of USA, AUS, NZ, UK, Eire, is now quite open. At least you are going places and often 'off the track'. Forum member Franki goes many great places too but I don't know if that is because he is from HK? Is that counted as Chinese national these days?

Twenty years ago a mate wrote a musical which included a story about a Russian soldier boy and a Uighar lass. Now I have no idea where he got the idea from, he is a mad muso and into weird stuff like pentasomething or other melodies. I did some set design for him and we got on OK so because of my nefarious past he wanted me to sort out logistics for a trip to China to travel in that area - but it all fell at the first hurdle, no visas allowed back then etc.

I will go as UK or Aus. citizen, haven't decided yet. I can go for either as UK passport ran out, so can become Aus. citizen or stay as a Pom. I think new aussies still have to swear and bow to the queen, which doesn't suit me, (never bent over for a queen yet lol). In UK I can spit in the old bag's face, being born there means I don't owe her any allegiance so if that is the case I shall stay UK unless meanwhile Aus becomes a republic. Is it best to be from USA or doesn't it matter much?

I understand from newspapers that there has been much continuing trouble and violence in such ethnic regions and quite frankly I don't care much for politics or religion in any part of the world, or about problems between ethnics and Han chinese or national or local governments. Well I do care but am capable of keeping that to myself. Don't much like anywhere in the world from that perspective!

I intend to travel next year, probably for the last time in my lifetime, to UK and I want to go via China. I am fascinated and enthralled by the posts some of you make. I have read the threads on visa for m'bikes and so on and am aware of the difficulties but I will worry about mode of travel etc. later, this is just first questions. Where is actually open to go?