Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    Jape, nope i took most of the pics, so the guy you see riding the red bike in all those pics is actually daofei! Methinks it's a good region get accomodated to China.

Fred, no problem, that's why we do these ride reports! I'll be living in shanghai soon, i'd be happy to meep up and recommend some roads if you want!

2. #22 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Fred, no problem, that's why we do these ride reports! I'll be living in shanghai soon, i'd be happy to meep up and recommend some roads if you want!

Hehe, I count on it Felix ! ;-))
    Reading your report, I already played around on Google maps to design a trip using part of the roads you mentioned with pictures. The preparation in itself for a ride is such a pleasure !
    Now if only I could learn how to save the "directions map" I do on Google in the "My Maps" part, instead of having to send the link to my private email every time... I will master it with time...maybe. :-)

I was thinking about a Shanghai-Moganshan-Anji-Linan-Tonglu-Lanxi-Suichang-Longquan-Qingyuan-Shouning-Taishun-Liandu-Yongkang and back to Lanxi-Chun'an-Anji-Huzhou-Shanghai. Almost 2,000km using mainly mountain roads, I just can't wait. ;-)

But first thing first, the bike in November, and I'll begin with short trips to break her in first.

3. #23 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    You mentioned Qingyuan to shouning on your route, that should be another real belter!

Our route north from shouning took us along 30km of that S329 and it was brilliant. I forgot to mention it in the report because i didnt take any pictures, but it's an awesome road. More perfect tarmac sweeping through a twisty gorge, sometimes cliffs towering over you on both sides. Do it!!!

Here's a trick that you may not know in googlemaps. You can save a route as a kml file to open it up in google earth. Click on the link button and copy the url, then paste it in a new tab but don't press enter yet. At the end of url add &output=kml and then press enter, it'll save a kml of your route. Useful for all sorts of things!

4. #24 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Fred, Felix and other Shanghai denizens,

Though I'm still in California, this thread is really getting me charged up. I'd long felt that having a motorcycle in Shanghai was going to be an exercise in frustration, given the challenges of exiting the Endless City. But, once you discount the two or three hours on the expressway (fingers crossed) to get out of town, it's great to know that so much sweet riding is available. These are all easy weekend trips -- one day out, a bit of beery debauchery on Saturday night, and back on Sunday. Make it three or four days and things really open up.

Let's make the most of it!

And all the more reason to ramp up ChinaV's idea of getting the best routes into a map/guide/forum.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    C-Moto Regular
    Wow. this is an amazing ride! Great photos and everything. So much great riding. I did a 4 day trip through Zhejiang with a bunch of my Shanghai riding buddies (Milton)and it was much the same...so much beauty and the roads are generally great, too.

Awesome post.

6. #26 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    C-Moto Regular
    I think I may have to add this to my trip back to Shanghai, if I choose not to ship the bike back...hmmm

7. #27 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    Thanks man!

I dunno, maybe ship your bike up to fuzhou and ride back from there! So many roads worth riding between there and shanghai!

8. #28 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    C-Moto Regular
    Here's a trick that you may not know in googlemaps. You can save a route as a kml file to open it up in google earth. Click on the link button and copy the url, then paste it in a new tab but don't press enter yet. At the end of url add &output=kml and then press enter, it'll save a kml of your route. Useful for all sorts of things!
    This is awesome, btdubbs

9. #29 Re: October Holidays: Suzhou - Fuzhou - Suzhou 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks man!

I dunno, maybe ship your bike up to fuzhou and ride back from there! So many roads worth riding between there and shanghai!
    Yea for sure...I am looking at all the options. Got a bunch of friends in Guangxi so I would love to ride around there for a bit, and then I donno...google maps says it's only 2000~ km back to Shanghai...very tempting. I'm sure there tons of MCM members along the way too! Might be time for a roll call... haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123