Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Jetmax rack fab_off bike.jpg

This follows on from my post concerning the Jetmax 250cc maxi scooter I purchased in mainland China August 2010. In the thread here I complained about the lack of a luggage mount and the ability to fit a rear top-box which is a pretty standard feature on nearly all manner of two wheel modes of transport in mainland China. I had contemplated heading down to Yongkang and hit up Du Rui aka 'Tourfella' who's worked on the mods for the likes of Franki, Plfaezer, Euphonius et al & their Jialing JH600's side pannier boxes etc.

After contacting Du Rui to see if it was possible for him and his team to work from a range of drawings, measurements that I'd provide and me sending the pillion grab rails from my Jetmax down to him, it became obvious that they needed the bike there. After some indecision combined with recent heatwave and the subsequent rain down these parts, I was no closer to getting the fabricating underway let alone completed.

I'd ordered a white ADLO 981 topbox (my fourth) that snap locks on-off a base plate, so I was eager to get this little project underway. Fortunately, I have some good riding mates one of whom has a range of family run factories that work with metals, so the seed was planted. One of them stepped forward and the design, and subsequent fabricating was done over the period of several days.

Jetmax rack fab_02.jpg

The basics are that we used a 2mm stainless steel plate from which we had cut out a shape that would work the rear section of the two pillion hand rails to which two 20mm diameter steel tubes were arc welded spanning across the rear of the seat. The top one of the two tubes was welded a range of perpendicular and right angle sections of tubing to make effectively a luggage rack. The lower tube was used to create a 90 degree right angle 'T' bar support that helps to reinforce and share of the downward support/load of the luggage rack above (see photos).

Jetmax rack finish_02.jpg

I didn't bother to spend time cleaning up the welds, since the rack per-se' would be obscured most of the time by either the ADLO mount, or the ADLO top box itself. I just applied about 4-5 layers of silver thermo-acrylic paint to match the pillion grab rails and then bolted the rack on. The bolts meant having to drill four holes into each grab rail and the rubber inserts which we did during the fabrication stage. No biggie, and really the whole design was an easier fabrication in some respects than my initial idea of fabricating completely new grab rails and integrated luggage rack.

Jetmax rack finish_03.jpg

All in all I think the whole back end of the Jetmax is all the better for the addition of the luggage rack/top box. It seems to take away the rounded aspect of the whale tail rear end, that is so typical of scooter designs in China, that just doesn't suit the Maxi scooter design.

The photos tell the story.

Jetmax rack topbox_02_pub.jpg

So how does the scoot ride?
    Actually having the topbox on the rear has changed the behaviour somewhat, she's more settled on rougher surfaces even with the topbox being empty, kind of like damping out the harshness out of the crap roads. There's no weave or anything from the topbox behind me, as some people notice when installing rear topboxes on some scoots/bikes. There's some form of weight transfer which has decreased the downward pressure being exerted by the front wheel, which has meant that the front wheel will wobble slightly side to side when I let go of the handlebars, which does not occur when the topbox is removed. It's not likely as a result of weight, but more the positioning of the topbox slightly aft of the rear wheel. It's not disconcerting at all, and doesn't make any real noticeable or significant changes to the handling characteristics other than when I take my hands of the handlebars at certain speeds.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-01-2010 at 11:36 AM.

2. #2 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    EDIT: removed post, now obsolete.
    Last edited by felix; 10-08-2010 at 08:34 AM.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Really like the engineering of this rack, particularly the little angular strut to the lower lateral bar, which should give it a ton of strength. I'd still be reluctant to carry too much weight in it, since all of the weight will translate into torsional force on the hand rails.

Did you purchase the box inside China? Does it come in black? Can you supply a link?

Nice work, bikerdoc!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Really like the engineering of this rack, particularly the little angular strut to the lower lateral bar, which should give it a ton of strength. I'd still be reluctant to carry too much weight in it, since all of the weight will translate into torsional force on the hand rails.
    Did you purchase the box inside China? Does it come in black? Can you supply a link?
    Nice work, bikerdoc!
    Overall I think the rack came out really well, and some of the work getting it fabricated was carried out by myself. I have to give credit though to my mate, and his employee who did the welding. I don't intend to carry much wait as I use the top box for the odd shopping run, or mostly intended for packing with clothing etc for the trips away. The great thing I like about these ADLO boxes is that the can be mounted/unmounted with the turn of a key and push of a button, which allows me to rock up to my destination, unmount the topbox and it becomes my convenient suitcase - so simple and easy. I use the same ADLO 981 boxes on my Jijian scooter and on the Dragstar. The other boxes I have are black, though I have removed the decals/graphics of the one on the Dragstar. ADLO are based in Guangdong, and I've been ordering by phone through a motorcycle accessories type shop from the Hangzhou motorcycle markets that I have built sort of relationship with. Prior I would ride from Ningbo to Hangzhou just to buy these boxes (this is now my 5th ADLO 981 box) and I swear by the quality, and the plastics used is not the typical crap that is so commonly used here - for all and sundry. Cost of the boxes is around 160 delivered to my door, or 150 if I go to the delivery company's base (which is 500m from my home). Check out www.adlo.net

5. #5 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Nice rack mister! I'll give you a hand, this rack desrves to be seen!
    Thanks Felix, I'll try linking the flikr photos from my office laptop tomorrow... plus I have other photos that I've yet to edit & upload that I took with my HD2. These show the initial fabrication stages etc.

6. #6 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ...I use the same ADLO 981 boxes on my Jijian scooter and on the Dragstar. The other boxes I have are black, though I have removed the decals/graphics of the one on the Dragstar. ADLO are based in Guangdong, and I've been ordering by phone through a motorcycle accessories type shop from the Hangzhou motorcycle markets that I have built sort of relationship with. Prior I would ride from Ningbo to Hangzhou just to buy these boxes (this is now my 5th ADLO 981 box) and I swear by the quality, and the plastics used is not the typical crap that is so commonly used here - for all and sundry. Cost of the boxes is around 160 delivered to my door, or 150 if I go to the delivery company's base (which is 500m from my home). Check out www.adlo.net
    Many thanks for the link, BD. Looks like good quality stuff, and the price is right! Given that the box is so easily removable, would you ever leave it on the bike while, say, you ran into a store or an appointment?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Many thanks for the link, BD. Looks like good quality stuff, and the price is right! Given that the box is so easily removable, would you ever leave it on the bike while, say, you ran into a store or an appointment?
    cheers!
    No worries. You might find that you can buy the topbox from a dealer up in SH, as I recall seeing a couple of exactly the same model for sale at a couple of the small shops at the SH motorcycle market & a scooter/motorcycle accessory shop in Pudong. If needs be, you can deposit the said funds into my bank acc # and I can place the order for you and have a box (whichever takes your fancy) delivered up to you.
    I leave the topbox on my bike(s) frequently (e.g. shopping, eateries etc), remembering that it still requires a key to both unlock it, and as part of the two stage process to unmount it from the said bike. I'm sure the casual observer wouldn't know that the topbox is portable/removable.

8. #8 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Bumping this thread, Bikerdoc, as I was in the Shanghai scootermart today and found several sizes of the Adlo box line for prices between 120 and 160 RMB -- about what you said you paid. They look very good, and I'm merely wondering which size to get. I'd like to have a top box for riding around town when I don't have the big Tourfella side boxes installed. It looks like these boxes are very easy to remove (with the press of a button), but are relatively secure on the bike as long as you've used the key lock.

Is that indeed how they work? Or could they be easily removed while locked? That would be a stupid design.

thanks
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Bumping this thread, Bikerdoc, as I was in the Shanghai scootermart today and found several sizes of the Adlo box line for prices between 120 and 160 RMB -- about what you said you paid. They look very good, and I'm merely wondering which size to get. I'd like to have a top box for riding around town when I don't have the big Tourfella side boxes installed. It looks like these boxes are very easy to remove (with the press of a button), but are relatively secure on the bike as long as you've used the key lock.
    Is that indeed how they work? Or could they be easily removed while locked? That would be a stupid design.
    thanks
    Hi Euphonius,
    I have several ADLO 981's and can't endorse them highly enough. They are pretty much one of the biggest ADLO topboxes they make, but the one fited on the Jetmax doesn't appear all that big, since the Jetmax has a "whale tail" rear-end. ADLO also make a smaller version of the 981, which is a 981A. check out www.adlo.net
    When the topbox has the hinge lock locked in position then the release button cannot be compressed - so the topbox can't be removed from the base plate. If the hinge mechanism isn't engaged properly, or at all, then the button can be compressed (which will subsequently allow removal). Irrespective I think they're excellent value for money topboxes, which a plastic composite material that can with-stand the rigours of Chinas roads and trails.
    Incidentally we might have an experienced foreign rider buying a new JH600 down here shortly (I was showing him the Jialing and MCM JH600 related webpages today).

10. #10 Re: CFMoto Jetmax 250cc CF250T-6A Scooter Luggage Rack 
    Thanks for that ringing endorsement, BD. The boxes look great. I think I'll go for the biggest one, though it's a bit tall. Boxier than the rounded models. Will a helmet fit inside?

glad to know the JH600 is finding customers. would love to see Jialing build a long-term business around that bike. It's good they have ready markets with the PLA and police, which should keep the production volume high, but this does not ensure they will start to get better at development and marketing. that of course requires a growing consumer market.

thanks again!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast