Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    nice find, please ask if they have a taobao shop, for those of us not in Shanghai.

2. #12 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    One more Shanghai shop to recommend is Shanghai Qiyi Motorcycle Accessories Ltd
    上海骑翼摩托车用品有限公司
    It's at 513 Wenshui Lu (may be Wenshui East Road) up in Hongkou District.
    虹口区汶水路513号

Simon Wang aka Wang Anyun (王俺云) is the proprietor with his wife, speaks only a little English.
    +86 21 5538 6591 x608
    +86 130 6268 8803

They are good people -- very knowledgeable -- and serious riders.
    good luck
    Tried to get ot this store today, walked maybe 2km on Wenshui lu, Hongkou district, impossible to find a number 513... Mainly big companies there, and the number jump from 451 to 575.... I'm fairly confident I was on the right street (only one Wenshui lu, especially in Hongkou district !), did you guys go there recently ? Could you give me some information to find the place ?

Will call them next week too, to try to know more.

3. #13 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    nice find, please ask if they have a taobao shop, for those of us not in Shanghai.
    The girl at the reception of the Ducati shop told me they don't have taobao account, but they can send the parts all over China if needed.
    Her email : qa at ducatichina.cn
    Last edited by Fred; 10-18-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Modified the email address to avoid spam

4. #14 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Fred, Damn, now I remember having the same experience. It's definitely in Wenshui Lu, but I'm pretty certain now that it's in WenShui EAST Lu. To get there you go east from the North-South Elevated, not west. You'll pass one of the two BMW Motorrad dealers in Shanghai, and keep going. It's on the north side of Wenshui Lu, still under the elevated highway. It's been months since I went there, but they were doing pretty well and I think they should still be there.

If it does turn out to be Wenshui East Road, please urge Simon and his wife to fix their web page. The error appears in both Chinese an English.

good luck.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Hehe, perfect Euphonius, it seems right according to what I gathered looking at Google maps. I've never understood why they would have a 513 Wenshui dong lu and also a 513 Wenshui xi lu, except to confuse us... ;-) Thanks anyway, I will go there this week when I have more time.

I allow myself one more question, as I saw you're doing some trips around Shanghai and sometimes using small dirt roads : I went to the Yamaha store yesterday and fell in love with their YBR 125 G (with "trail" or "cross" tires) : http://www.yamaha-motor.com.ph/produ...5g/colors.html this seems perfect for the kind of trips I have in mind, would you guys recommend it, for example trips to Moganshan with a little "off-road adventure" ? ;-)

My main worries about the tires is that I would of course use them 99% of the time on asphalt or concrete :
    - grip : less surface contact should equal less grip on asphalt / concrete, especially when wet, right ?
    - wear : running on those surfaces will wear more quickly those kind of tires, right again ?

On a side note for the guys in the process of buying a Suzuki with yellow Shanghai Hu A plates : at the Yamaha store (555, Zhongshan nan lu, near Xiaomuqiao lu), they say they can have those plates for RMB 43,000, at the buyer's name, and I could sell them back the plates and the bike when leaving China. It's worth considering, as their bikes are beautiful : YBR 125 or even better : YBR 250.

6. #16 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Last i checked, the YBR 125g was 10,500 rmb with fuel injection. Hard to find the 125 with fuel injection, but i saw it once in Kunming. As for slipping, I had the same worries when i first bought my bike Shineray GY200XY-7. I've slipped a couple of times, but never dropped the bike because of water. The bike weighs ~150kg so it's very easy to hold it up with just one hand. Once I had a small skid on marble and was able to recover! Bikes 250cc and smaller are very forgiving. I suppose the YBR 125 is even lighter as it has a smaller engine. They don't have a 250 offroad version Checkout tokyokid's trip from Shanghai to Berlin, two up, on a 125 ybr!

7. #17 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Update !

After some weeks of delay, I finally passed the medical check-up at the end of December in Hami lu, it's so funny there... 9 buildings, you have to queue in 1 just to pay and get the ticket to queue in the 2nd one... Then medical check-up, struggled a bit as usual on the colour vision test (where you should see numbers within "bubbles" of colour, don't know why I always struggled with this one, I can see the colour perfectly though, strange...), had to turn the pages myself to convince the old lady I was good to go, she looked at me not too impressed but finally applied her seal on the paper, sigh... :-))

Then today was the traffic rules examination, score a beautiful 100/100, perfect score, yeaaaah ! ;-)) The exam room is the first example of strict abiding by the rules in China, and I've been here 8 years... Video camera on each table, camera for al the room, the guard cannot even come next to you to help you configure the computer in English, whoah...

Now next is the real exam on the bike, which should be done in the following weeks.
    Bike is already selected, the Honda-Sundiro Shadow 150.

I'll keep you all informed when I finally can steer my way into Shanghai traffic on my new beautiful shiny bike... ;-))

8. #18 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    struggled a bit as usual on the colour vision test (where you should see numbers within "bubbles" of colour, don't know why I always struggled with this one, I can see the colour perfectly though, strange...)...
    Not to worry. Chinese drivers are all color blind when it comes to those red-yellow-green thingies up on poles at most intersections.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #19 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Hehe, true, true...

Oh by the way, went twice to the Qiyi shop on Wenshui lu, thanks for the tip !
    Last time I bought a Dainese Barcellona jacket, black, for only RMB 580. When you check the Dainese website, they're selling those for 160 Euros...
    Will maybe pick up some Xpd X-Tank shoes there too this weekend.

10. #20 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Glad you were able to finally find the Qiyi shop. Simon and his wife are good people -- who actually ride motorcycles.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast