Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Congrats. I just went through all of this a few months ago. Good luck on the riding instruction part. Darn cold these days though.

2. #22 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Hey thanks Wrangler.

BTW, what are you supposed to do during the riding test ? I looked at where they were doing, but could not make any of it :
    - ride on elevated rails for 2 meters
    - ride on bumpy portion for 5 meters
    - turn around and come back ?

I was amazed at the "bikes" they use for the instruction... 80cc engine, old, rusted and dropped like a million times... ;-))

3. #23 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?1850
    80cc??? Isn't it a legend Jialing JH70 (Almost like Honda CD70)

4. #24 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    I took my instruction in Hongkou. First, the bikes they provide are absolutely crap. You have to keep adjusting the idle speed. The company that made them, I can't remember which one, closed long ago. However, they are light and easy to ride.. once you get it started.

There are actually 2 tests. You have to take the tests separately. This is required. Supposedly the total time for the instruction and the 2 test is 2 months. The first test is to go between four metal poles spaced about 2 meters apart. At the last pole, you circle back within the area designated by the painted ring. You cannot touch any pole with your bike or part of your body. If you do, you supposedly fail. However, during the test the instructor just calls you to the back and redo the test after everyone is finished. Your test will go much smoother if you give the instructor a red envelope (100rmb) is enough. It's not required but he will be appreciative (especially since it's close to CNY), and he would pay more attention to you.

For this test it's just best to go a little faster. It's actually easier to maneuver between the poles and circle back if you go smooth and slightly faster.

The second test has five parts to it: First, you have to go between 3 sets of free hanging poles, about 1.2 meters space, which again, you can't touch. Second, you have three rails in succession in front of you that go a few meters to the right behind each other. You only have to go over the first two rails. Both wheels need to get onto the rail and you need to maintain balance. If any wheel slips off, you fail (and retake after everyone else is finished). The trick is to get onto the rails slowly but as you get past the halfway point, if you start feeling a little off balance, add gas, and it will help to straighten you out.

After the rails you are required make a sharp right within some painted boundaries then follow a windy path.

The final part is to go up a hill, stop midway, and then start from a complete stop without rolling backwards. If you roll backwards on the hill you fail (or retake). The trick here is to shift to first gear BEFORE you go up the hill. This way, when you stop, you are already in first gear. You fake the motion of switching gears and then add gas (while you right foot is still lightly on the rear brake. There will be an instructor on your LEFT side watching you so they can't see you applying the rear brake pedal while applying the throttle.

All of this, in my opinion, has nothing to do with safe riding or offers any practical instruction for riding in Shanghai...

Hope this helps Fred. All of the points for taking the test were told to me by my "instructor" who was much nicer to me after I got him a gift voucher...

5. #25 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Guys, I am so glad I got my license in the US last year. Not only did I not have to put up with this utterly nonsensical test, but I also had the privilege of taking a proper rider safety course, passing of which meant I didn't have to take a road test with the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Sounds like it saved me a ton of trouble. All I had to do was provide a notarized translation of my California motorcycling license and take the written exam here.

I do bow down to anyone who aces a perfect 100 on their Chinese driving exam. How'd you get your mind to think so non-intuitively and illogically??
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #26 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Whoah thanks Wrangler, I did not even see your reply, didn't get an email notification this time...
    Thanks again, it does help a lot.

I spent 1 hour on the bike this morning (aargh... cold....) for the 1st time at the Wubao lu center, the slalom is a piece of cake, but I have some trouble to keep my balance on the part where you have to go really straight on a 15cm wide rail for 3 meters without falling on either side... Do you experienced guys have some tips for me to improve at this part ?
    The bike are like those : http://www.honda-sundiro.com/pro/sho...=114&ClassID=5 so not possible to press your knees against the tank for a better balance. Is there something I should do with my upper body, or maybe look farther away, not directly at the front wheel, to keep my balance more easily ?

About what you wrote for the uphill start : how can you "fake" the gear change with the left foot and at the same time apply a little bit of rear brake with the right one when you're stopped, all that without falling of course ? How many feet do you have ?? ;-))

About the "gift" part, it's well noted. I will bring something to him next time, try to give to him discreetly when nobody is around... Any tips for that too ?

Thanks again for your help !

Fred

7. #27 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Hey Fred,

For the rail its best to have both wheels be in a straight line as soon as you get on the rail. Once on the rail your body needs to be relaxed, but non-moving, other than the throttle. Once you start microadjusting the handlebars, you wobble and it becomes more difficult to keep in a straight line. When you are at the halfway point, give the bike some gas so you pick up speed. This will help to straighten you out and get across the last half.

Regarding the gear change, these are the steps I learned:

1. Change to first before you get on the hill.
    2. Brake and come to a complete stop and put both feet down with your right hand on the front brake.
    3. Shift or fake shift the gear to first and put left foot down.
    4. Lift your right foot and depress the rear brake and hold.
    5. Engage the gears and add gas while lightly depressing rear brake still, till you are moving.

For the gift just put in a plain envelope and pass to him folded. Even better, buy a carre four or tesco or lianhua market gift card and pass to him. It's more discreet and he can't immediately tell how much it is. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Whoah thanks Wrangler, I did not even see your reply, didn't get an email notification this time...
    Thanks again, it does help a lot.

I spent 1 hour on the bike this morning (aargh... cold....) for the 1st time at the Wubao lu center, the slalom is a piece of cake, but I have some trouble to keep my balance on the part where you have to go really straight on a 15cm wide rail for 3 meters without falling on either side... Do you experienced guys have some tips for me to improve at this part ?
    The bike are like those : http://www.honda-sundiro.com/pro/sho...=114&ClassID=5 so not possible to press your knees against the tank for a better balance. Is there something I should do with my upper body, or maybe look farther away, not directly at the front wheel, to keep my balance more easily ?

About what you wrote for the uphill start : how can you "fake" the gear change with the left foot and at the same time apply a little bit of rear brake with the right one when you're stopped, all that without falling of course ? How many feet do you have ?? ;-))

About the "gift" part, it's well noted. I will bring something to him next time, try to give to him discreetly when nobody is around... Any tips for that too ?

Thanks again for your help !

Fred

8. #28 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Thanks again Wrangler !

I'll add one more question : the bike I was practicing on today didn't have a clutch lever on the left handle bar, it was an "automatic" clutch, you could change gears with the left foot without it.
    From what I can read, you had a real bike with clutch lever on the handle bars.
    So I wonder in your example, what's the point of changing the gear from 2nd to 1st before climbing the hill ? My meaning : when you're stopped half-way through the hill with the front brake engaged with your right hand, and the clutch pressed with your left one, you could change gear to 1st, then put the left foot down, press the rear brake with the right foot, disengage the front brake, then slowly disengage the clutch with your left hand while giving some gas, and off the rear brake when starting to move, no ?

Isn't that what you're really supposed to do anyway, on the test and later in the streets ?

9. #29 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Sorry my mistake, you aren't using the same bikes we were using. The ones we were using were complete crap. The whole point was that if you tried to change after you stop on the hill (which is what they taught we were supposed to do - I know, doesn't make sense) you risk not being able to shift to first gear on the hill, and you could be stuck trying to start from second or third.

I told you to change before the hill because the distance on my course, from the base of the hill to where the instructor is standing is under 10 meters. So if you change to first they could hear you. All of this has nothing to do with real world riding in Shanghai (but neither does most of the course).

When I get back to the US I plan to take a course as Euphonious did. BTW, I got a great book called "Proficient Motorcycling". Quite a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot...5869077&sr=8-1

Good luck!

10. #30 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Yes, I have this book too, a must read. I know people who read it once a year during the winter break, not to forget important advices.

After I get the bike I plan to find some place where I can practice for hours the real driving skills (emergency braking, avoiding techniques, etc.), also in order to get to know the bike better.
    What I find the most amazing is that it seems that I will always practice and do the tests on bikes without a clutch lever on the handle bars, how's that for learning to ride a motorbike ? ;-))
    Needless to say, I will train by myself... ;-))

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast