Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Hey all, back from CNY holiday in wonderful Yunnan and less than wonderful Chengdu ! Well, I'm maybe not very fair on Chengdu, but got run over on the very 1st day there by a grand pa on a electric bike who considered the red light was not for him, have bruises and small cuts on both legs, still picked up the uninjured grandpa and his groceries (I'm a gentleman... ;-)) ), got sick there, then spent my days dodging the crazy taxi drivers there, crazier than Shanghai... I'll admit that being stomach sick and the thought that the holiday were coming to a stop didn't help my mood and the whole experience in Chengdu...

Anyway, Xin nian kuai le to all !
    And thanks for all the comments.

Jape, of course you can take anything from this thread in order to make a new thread where noobs like me can find quickly the right info.
    Wrangler, I'm very tempted by a 250 (especially the Yamaha YBR 250, yummmi...), butI made a deal with the GF that I'll stick to the 150cc in China, nothing faster, before upgrading later when we make our next move in Canada. She knows me well, and I think she's right on this one.

About the traffic in China, I'm not worried too much. I've been living in Shanghai for 8 years now, and riding my bicycle for 5 years here. I am totally incapable of riding slowly the bicycle, I'm always going quite fast (around 25-30 km/h) so I know quite a bit about the everyday dangers here. At those speeds, the "countersteering" technique even works on bicycles, even if I'll admit : of course it's very different than a much heavier motorbike.

Thanks to all again for sharing your insights !
    Last edited by Fred; 02-09-2011 at 02:02 AM. Reason: cuz i cannot spell... ;-))

2. #42 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Update !

Passed the final test on the bike this morning, yeah !!
    Nearly failed, the bike sliding off the rails on the 1st attempt with the morning frost, nailed the 2nd and last try. 1/3 of the candidates this morning failed though...

Will pick up the licence at the same center in 2 weeks, and the bike on the same day ! I'll discuss the bike later when I get to know her (yes, it's a "her" ;-)) ) maybe in another thread, to help people making their choices.

I found on a website some advices and training methods by a french motorcycle instructor, will practice with those at the beginning. If people are interested, I can translate them here in English, they are quite detailed and really teach you the balance and emergency actions to become 2nd nature.

Cheers and thanks to all of you for the encouragements and advices !

Fred

3. #43 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Congratulations Fred, the hard work paid off. Good luck with getting a m'bike and I wish you safe and pleasurable riding.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #44 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Congrats indeed, Fred. Timing is pretty good, as I can feel the spring thaw coming.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #45 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Congrats Fred! Hope to see you on the road soon!

6. #46 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Well done mister fred! That's great it all worked out for you. My hat goes off to you for getting your license the proper way!

7. #47 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Thanks guys !

It will be nice to be completely legal when riding and not to worry about this. ;-))

I'll say it now, it's honestly quite easy to get the licence. Sure it's annoying with all the different procedures, and the need to speak Chinese at least a little, but the exams (theory and on the bike) are not hard compared to our home countries.
    I'll be happy to help any new members going through the process in the future.

Cheers,

Fred

8. #48 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    C-Moto Senior
    I'm not sure how much this may have been covered already, but here goes.

In particular I feel like negotiation of a grade is important, but also slow maneuvering in general. I think it is important to know that if you are turning at a slow speed your clutch/break action is like another form of balance. As an example lets say your turning right and your bike starts leaning INTO the turn you can clutch out and the slight acceleration will push the bike outward and stabilize you. In the same right turn, if you apply a little brake the bike will be pushed into the corner, further right. It works with both front and rear break but at SLOW speeds I always work the rear breaks, as I'm usually focusing my right hand on the throttle.

Another technique which is not too nice for your clutch or brakes but really does help is to ride both your clutch and your rear break. I know, I know, how cruel but what I'm talking about is not using much of either but enough to keep the bike from going to slow OR too fast. I will usually do this when I'm wanting to maintain a speed of about 2mph or trying to get around or over some obstacles, ether uneven grades or actual barriers.

9. #49 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Congrats Fred...
    ...and thanks for the advice. You've been diamond. Respect!

10. #50 Re: Newbie in Shanghai ! 
    Yeaaaaaah finally !!
    Got the bike yesterday, with again a whole lotta drama... Short story : they still didn't have the plates, told me to come back on Monday, I said no way.
    Pushed one of them on the bike (without plates), went to the Hami lu police station (where I passed the physical, close to the CJ750 sidecars shop) and we did the whole process in 3 hours to register everything and to get the plates. Incredibly "mafan", but it's done now !

Everything is under my name (all the documents, bikes & plates registration), I chose the plate number, and the bike is running flawlessly, handles like a bicycle, I finally can ride after all those months of paperwork, exams and wait !

I'm really really glad I did all that, glad I'm 100% legal, now I just have to try to stall less when the light turns green ! ;-))

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast