Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Fujian for beer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Fujian for beer 
    So Felix mentioned something about hitting Fuzhou, and then something about the possibility of beer there, so I figured what the hell, let's give it a go. Four days of riding and roughly 2500 kilometers took me over the following route.

Many months since the Wee Strom had seen action, I was so happy to be back on the road with her.

I've never seen traffic as bad as what I experienced in the first few hours of the ride. Multiple traffic jams, accidents and thousands of vehicles stuck and going nowhere. Sometimes I could see the toll highways as they passed overhead and even they were at a complete standstill. Something terrible is happening to the roads here in China, and I live in fear of having to drive anywhere in my car as traffic has reached a crisis level.

It took me a few hours to get back in the groove of China riding, but I soon returned to the flow of dodging obstacles and incessantly honking my horn. Finally I made it into the countryside, and stopped for a little break. Seems like the countryside has gotten so much further away than it used to be.

Tried to make the trip mostly X and S roads, and enjoyed a nice mix of sweepers and twisty's as I made my way north out of Guangdong.

I spied a group of large bikes and decided to join in. We eventually stopped for a chat and they invited me to tag along. I'm not a big fan of riding in large groups, but it was late in the day, and I figured it would be fun to hang out for the evening.

We made it up to the town of XiaYang, just over the Guangdong/Fujian border. All of my new found friends were local "Guangdongren" so they quickly located nice accommodations and delicious food.

And plenty of ice cold beer! Splendid group of people and a fun time was had sharing tales, as all bikers do. Thanks for the great dinner guys.

It had been a long day for everyone, so we were off to bed fairly early. I went back to my humble abode to swim some laps in the ridiculously huge bathtub. It's quite amazing what a couple hundred Yuan gets you for a night

The next morning was sunny and warm. (note to Sabine... I don't think it ever got bellow 20ºC all four days.) Felix and I had agreed on meeting in JianOu, so I was up early and rolling by 7:00.

I decided to stick to my plan of S and X roads which started out well enough as I passed through the rural countryside. This was a nice little sugar cane farm that I stopped at for a peek.

Fujian is quite mountainous and I was pretty much going up or down all the time.

Then the roads got bad, and I mean really bad. Lots of construction and mud with plenty of obstacles to keep things interesting.

I passed this cool little covered bridge, something I'd never seen before on previous journeys.

The scenery was good, but the roads were really taking their toll on me. I figured I had plenty of time to get to JianOu, but at this point, I was struggling to make 30-40 kilometers in an hour.

Stop for a rest.

Finally reached JianOu and was happy to find Felix and his friend DaoFei had only been waiting about 10 minutes. We found lodging for the night and then hit the town for some beers and boasting.

JianOu is a river town, and lots of local people enjoy eating crayfish. I'm not a fish fan, and I had also seen the condition of the river, so decided to pass on the local delicacy.

None the less, we manage a big feast with plenty of cold brews and lots of good conversation.

That was the trip up, try to get the return journey posted soon.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:07 AM.

2. #2 Re: Fujian for beer 
    Goodness, you guys over there certainly have fun! I wish I was young again. You are probably in China at the best time when still ancient and traditional rubbing shoulders with the modern. And bang for the buck so to speak. Sounds like gridlock and peak oil are about to coincide, could get really nasty. But of course with that number plate you will be fine! I'd get a gun as well though, people get hungry in three day, hundred kilometer road jams and fat (relatively) foreigners will be first on the spit. Probably tastier than polluted prawns too.

3. #3 Re: Fujian for beer 
    I am a bit jealous of the Wee Strom. Noticed the license plates in the front and back symbolize your attention to the details of Chinese culture in more ways than one! Enjoy the trip!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #4 Re: Fujian for beer 
    The number plate thing is just a photoshop trick. If you go back through all the various ride reports I've done on my V-Strom, you will see that the number changes in almost every picture. Just one of those little things I do because...well...I'm weird like that.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Fujian for beer 
    I found it hilarious to see the reference to good luck numbers, especially number 8. I also thought maybe you had maybe found a circular route to registering a Wee Strom.
    DT

6. #6 Re: Fujian for beer 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Nice Ride!

too bad I couldn't hook up with you guys. We missed each other for just one day. I arrived in Fuzhou on Monday. Looks like you passed through Yongtai Valley south of Fuzhou? Pretty nice area... That's where I had my "frog experience" recently... Nice pictures - looking forward to see the return ride.

Cheers,
    AW.

PS: Gonna be at HWB2 in Dongguan tonight.... Wanna come?
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

7. #7 Re: Fujian for beer 
    We were up early (some earlier than others..cough..cough), and after a couple bits of bike tweaking, took off towards Fuzhou. I wasn't planning on hitting the coast, so I told Felix I would probably head back towards Guangdong around MinQing. We headed south on S303 and hit a little rain and gravel in the mountains, but overall, not a bad road.

Felix winding it up in the corners.

Followed by Dao Fei. Dao Fei's bike is completely custom, and he's done an amazing job of picking components from several different kinds of bikes. It's a nice blend of trick little gadgets and common sense upgrades that are a huge improvement on what you see from most of the factories here. They should hire this guy, they could learn a lot from a passionate rider like him.

The rice is ready for harvest and everything has a beautiful yellow glow.

We stopped in GuTian for a quick breakfast.

A traditional breakfast of eggs, pancakes and sausage…er…dumplings I mean.

Followed by more nice scenery.

This is the MinQing Hydro power station on the MinJiang river. I stopped to grab a photo and wait for the boys to wish them well on their journey. They didn't notice me as they whipped past and that was the last I saw of them. They headed towards the coast as I continued south.

Which started out pretty well. I had learned from the previous days to avoid the X roads in Fujian and stick to the S roads. They don't have the tight twisty's, but at least they would most likely be in decent condition.

Or so I thought. This is when everything went to shit. So I'm coming through one of those little towns where everyone with a sense of entrepreneurship has set up some kind of roadside business, effectively cutting traffic down to a lane and a half. There's a bus in front of me that's stopped for no apparent reason, so I move left to go around. Just as I start to pass, a passengers head comes out of the bus window spewing barf in all directions. It's unavoidable, and she manages to cover a good portion of the bike and my helmet. Naturally, my face shield was open due to the traffic jam, so I got a good face full. Yuck, it was almost making me puke. I stop a couple hundred meters up the road and try to de-puke my bike and riding gear. I seriously debate throwing my helmet away as the smell was just revolting. Just a little after the puke incident, the road turns into a construction project gone wrong and my mood is not getting better.

I asked people about the construction and they said it was only about 20 kilometers, they were wrong, as you can see the sign in the picture bellow mentions something about Kilometer 255 through Kilometer 344 being a mess. I never saw this sign, as I came from the north, and I guess they forgot to put one up there. These 4 people riding a 125 didn't seem to mind and gave big smiles as they passed.

Shortly after this picture, the adventure really began. As I reached another spot of congestion, I slowed down to figure out the best attack for a deep mud hole. I decided to go right to avoid the water and as I made my way through, some idiot on a scooter comes up the middle, bounces off a rock, and whacks my front wheel. I'm in shallow mud with no stopping power going 5 km/h at most. The hit is just enough to send me off course and I start going down. The natural reaction when you fall is to put your arms out, and as I'm falling, my hands don't hit ground, but rather, pass through some loose vegetation and bamboo. I realize I'm falling into a ditch. A very deep ditch, but I never made it to the bottom. The bike has pinned my foot and now I'm hanging upside down trapped by my motorcycle. Not good, as this is China, and it's fairly normal for people to avoid those in need, less they get blamed. I struggle to get upright, but there's just no possible way I can get up or pull my foot out of my boot. After three monumental efforts, I'm getting dizzy and start yelling out for some help. A few minutes later, I finally feel the pressure on my foot subsiding as someone pulls the bike up and I go crashing down on my head into what is basically a garbage ditch. Oh well, it's nice to be free again and I thank my new found friend for helping me. He's reluctant to shake my hand as I smelled like puke and trash at that point. I finally manage to get on my way again.

It was getting a bit late, probably around 5:00 or so, which meant I only had another hour of light. I had managed 35 kilometers in the last hour and a half, and I still had more than 50 to go before I would intersect another major road. Never ride at night, never ride at night, was starting to creep into my head as I lumbered on. I looked at the GPS and came to the grim realization that I was going to be riding through this crap in the dark. Another hour passed and another 25 kilometers covered. I could see my headlight beam now and the sky was starting to go black. The traffic had decreased to the occasional motorcycle or small tractor and I noticed the road was getting very narrow. I looked up ahead and saw there was no road. Just a huge mound of dirt and a tiny trail to the left that looked barely passable on foot. I walked it over a couple times, removed the hard luggage and squeezed through. Again I came to a another mound and barely managed to get through after removing the luggage, this was getting exhausting.

About this time I started to come full circle on the Kübler-Ross model. Those are the five stages motorcyclists usually go through when dealing with a crappy ride.

Denial - This road can't possible be under construction for 90 kilometers.
    Anger - How can a road possibly be under construction for 90 kilometers.
    Bargaining - If I can just get to an intersection, I will gladly go anywhere else.
    Depression - This sucks, why did I ever take this route.
    Acceptance - It's not so bad, at least my bike is running fine and I'm not hanging upside down covered in puke.

I stopped for a few minutes and sat there in the pitch black and silence. I finally started moving again and as I rounded the next corner, realized I was at the summit of the mountain. I could see lights and a city off in the distance, and a huge feeling of relief washed over me. I slowly plodded along down the mountain feeling like there just may be a chance I would get off that stupid road. Another 15 or 20 minutes passed and I reached a couple vehicles that were stuck. There was another impassable mound and I wondered (A) how the hell did they get there and (B) how many days had they been stuck in that spot. I was in no mood for conversation and quickly pulled the luggage and managed to wiggle through. I imagine those people are still sitting in that spot.

That was the final obstacle. A few kilometers later my headlights struck concrete and I realized I was finally on a regular road again. Hallelujah! Onward into the town ZhangPing, where I stopped at a hotel, and then another, and then another and jeez... will this day never end. At last I found a room at a dirty little Bingguan and called Felix. How was your day?.... Mine was pure hell. We chatted for a bit and then I headed into the shower with all my riding gear on. The stream of filth was astounding and a half hour later I finally felt human again. I bought a couple beers and pulled a granola bar from my bag for dinner.

What a day.

Here's the section that kicked my ass. It's S203 between XiangHu and ZhangPing. Give it some time and I'm sure it will be a lovely ride when the road is completed.

The next morning I woke up feeling a bit sore and abused. I decided I wasn't going to take any chances and would hit the very first G Road (national highway) that I could find and head straight to Guangdong. Started out with some lovely coal country.

And a few kilometers of torn up roads from the coal trucks.

But finally I hit some decent high speed sweepers on G205 and just let it rip. It was so nice to be cornering again.

Many hours later I was back in familiar territory and enjoying the serenity of northern Guangdong.

Home at last! Time for a bath and some TLC for my Wee. I love this bike, seems like she always comes home looking like this, but still goes back out for more time after time.

Trip Log:
    Day 1 523km Time 08:32 Average Speed 71.37 km/h
    Day 2 597km Time 10:17 Average Speed 67.42 km/h
    Day 3 493km Time 13:17 Average Speed 48.23 km/h
    Day 4 838km Time 11:00 Average Speed 82.72 km/h
    Total 2451K

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Fixed Photo Link

8. #8 Re: Fujian for beer 
    Your bike looks better after this ride than mine does after a 300KM day on a very boring island. You must be a very good rider to keep things running after the ditch crash. The puke incident is priceless, only in China! Let me know if you are ever near Nanjing, no one ever comes here but if you do, you have a place to stay.
    DT

9. #9 Re: Fujian for beer 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ChinaV,

Awesome ride report, as ever, and you may want to borrow one of those superhero outfits from Sabine's crew. Much appreciate your candor and humor as well. I don't think just everyone who got puked on while overtaking a bus would necessarily include that bit of flora and fauna in their reports.

As for your tumble, wow -- the perils of soloing in China! I had a very similar getoff on the G104 in Jiangsu, trying to tiptoe down a very narrow singletrack with a big dropoff on my right. I came out alright, but shudder to think how much worse it could have been if there were not a tree just right there to catch me and the bike as gravity had her way with me. Hope the foot wasn't too badly bruised.

Fantastic only-in-China ride and glad you survived to tell the wonderful tale. Puked on while overtaking a bus!! OMG.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Fujian for beer 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    WOW!!!

you have warned me before about that second part by phone - but I have never expected this:

- Road construction and difficulties - well adventure, at one point you'll get the hang of it...
    - Being puked on from a bus - HELL!!!
    - Hanging upside down, remote place in China - NIGHTMARE (at least you can call for help in Chinese...)

Great adventure, beautiful report. I especially like this picture below:

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Many hours later I was back in familiar territory and enjoying the serenity of northern Guangdong.

Thanks for all... I truly enjoyed this RR.
    Cheers,
    AW.
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Fixed Photo Link
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast