Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone, I am in the process of trying to find a suitable place to buy a reasonably priced road legal scooter in Beijing (between 3000-5000 for a R9 or used honda/yamaha small sized scooter..... except i dunno if it is possible to get a bike with a jing a licence plate for this price).

Most of my friends have just gone to wudaokou and bought bikes that only come with a 赛 plate which i know is illegal, but also the reliability of these bikes is questionable.... many times they will break down very easily.

Does anyone know any places or dealers that they can trust?

Thanks alot,

2. #2 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcandrew View Post
    Hi everyone, I am in the process of trying to find a suitable place to buy a reasonably priced road legal scooter in Beijing (between 3000-5000 for a R9 or used honda/yamaha small sized scooter..... except i dunno if it is possible to get a bike with a jing a licence plate for this price).
    Hi - welcome to My China Moto.

The current price for a Jing A plate is 8,000 rmb. You can get a Jing B plate for much less (a few hundred rmb) if the motorcycle is "approved". A dealer can help you with that if you buy one of their new bikes. This is a very complicated "can of worms" so you need to talk with a dealer about your options. If you opt to buy a bike through The Beijinger classifieds, be very careful. I have seen LOTS of rip-offs targeting unknowing foreigners.

Most of the LARGE dealers are reputable, but be sure to take a couple of people along to help you out: 1) knowledgeable local biker 2) reliable Chinese translator.

Which part of Beijing are you in? The Wu?

3. #3 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, thanks for the information, it has been really helpful

From what I have heard.... a jing a plate registered to a particular bike has a time limit of 11 years, if the plates had already been registered to a certain bike for a few years would it be possible to get it cheaper, as it would not be technically valid for the full 11 years.

If i were to buy a jing b plate i know that it would only work outside the 4th ring road. what would the implications of going inside the 4th ring road with a jing b be?

Currently I live at hui xin xi jie bei kou (line 5 subway stop, north one stop from the transfer station to line 10). Do you know of any big bike retailers that i could go to?

All i know are places, usually sellers of bikes/ repair shops that i could buy from but i really feel that it is too risky to get a bike from such places.

One other thing that i have been thinking about.... how can i be sure a jing a plate is legit? I believe that probably the only way to know for sure is, if i find a jing a plate, i dont pay them for it until i know the transfer of ownership goes through.... what do you think?

Once again, really appreciate the information you have given,
    thanks again,
    mcandrew.

4. #4 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi there.

I got a bike with all the legal documentation by this website www.beijingriders.com their services was great. , At first I went to visit the only bike shop in san li tun but price was too expensive maybe because is lot of foreigners there, i tried with www.bikesbeijing.com but they took so long to reply service wasn't good.

I went to visit beijingriders.com to a shop called Datihentong, I think they were together with them, is located in wangjing area and gave a copy of my passport and residence permit and after 12 days I got my bike an plate.

I pay 1700 rmb which was much cheaper that the guy from san li tun who asked me 3000 rmb.

cheers .

5. #5 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    As a foreigner you can't register a jing.b plate in your name - so keep it in the dealers name an as long as you get the green book and the blue book from them, you're good.

I got my bike from one on the dealers west of the jiugong subway stop. It was a great experience. She was very upfront when I said my goal was a legal bike. She immediately pointed out which ones could be p,ated and which ones could not. There was never a moment of "well maybe we could get that one a plate somehow ".

Anyways lots and lots of scooters there too. The cub style, which is what my wife wants, we're running around 5000 new. Get off the subway at jiugong and walk west a block, there's about 4 dealers there. I got my bike from the very west-most dealer, but talked with all of them, they all seemed good.
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

6. #6 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    C-Moto Senior
    You guys in Beijing certainly have your work cut out for you to get your bikes properly registered with "A" plates.

Well, I guess that's the price to pay, when you live and work in the big city.

Here in lowly Weifang, I am sure some one told me it was 130 RNB to get the scooters plated and registered.
    Don't know how true it is, but any way.

Good luck guys getting your wheels, and your licence.

gra.

7. #7 Re: Reliable places to buy scooters in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    You guys in Beijing certainly have your work cut out for you to get your bikes properly registered with "A" plates.

Well, I guess that's the price to pay, when you live and work in the big city.

Here in lowly Weifang, I am sure some one told me it was 130 RNB to get the scooters plated and registered.
    Don't know how true it is, but any way.

Good luck guys getting your wheels, and your licence.

gra.
    Yeah, "A" plates in Beijing are running low to mid-20K these days. But it is pittance compared to those really rich city folk over in Shanghai (I heard 70K recently).

I guess Shanghai is upper class, Beijing is middle class, Weifang is lower class (no offence intended), and dry cities like Guangzhou is no class.