Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: d3o gear

1. #1 d3o gear 
    Have any Chinese manufacturers started producing using d3o either as a base layer or top layer for motorcyclists yet? Or even as inserts? I want to find some for my trip at prices I can afford. I haven't found a total body cover suit as yet, probably kept for special forces only.

For interested folk that don't already know, d3o is a liquid that hardens under impact and is available as armour for skiing, climbing and motorcycle gear. 'Klim' and 'first gear' are two manufacturers I have seen before.

2. #2 Re: d3o gear 
    Sorry mate, haven't heard of anything from chinese manufacturers. Was hoping someone else on the forum had too!

Any idea about its effectiveness in a serious motobike crash?

3. #3 Re: d3o gear 
    I heard of it from a Scottish mate ex special forces, he said it had been tested and found helpful in such things as helicopter crashes but that milspec might be different. Also governments were at first secretly trying to keep it quiet as it works as bulletproof in some conditions. However it got out and top olympic skiers use it apparently so I reckon it is worth some industrious person looking at the idea .... I personally fancy the idea of a kevlar weave and d30 armour suit,
    a combination of this companies' clothing and the d30 body armour suits available for sports would make you rather cool. However police forces don't like the idea of such citizens ...
    http://www.bladerunner.tv/body-armou...ised-c-86.html
    Got any industrious mates over there might want to go into production? I will join in with marketing, web design and so on and we would make a mint I reckon! Criminals, revolutionaries, outlaw bikies, sorry, I mean recreational cyclists, protective parents, journalists, most sports people, late night retail workers ...

4. #4 Re: d3o gear 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys

I have some of ths. I am working on a new motobike leather brand, however after testing it still does not come out as protective as Forcefield T-Pro or some of the other top brands. D30 seems good in situations where you would not normally have armour available or where you need to be extremely flexible but we find forcefield to be flexible enough for bikers and it passed CE testing with flying colours.

D30 is also not bulletproof and it does not have any ballistic properties in its current form. They did however win a government contract to try and mix D30 with layers of kevlar to make armour that helps if they fall over plus the same added properties of a bullet proof vest. I got really excited about it at first with the thoughts of motorcycle clothing in mind but its not really the breakthrough I was thinking for what we wear already, great for skiers and the likes who dont normally have armour though.