Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Looking to see how accuate the speedometers are for you guys. Mine is reading way off. I put a bicycle speedo on my XF200 to get a more accurate reading of speed/distance. I was driving mine up to my Mom's house with my wife behind in our car and she said that I was only going 55 mph....and backing up traffic. I was showing 64 mph on the bicycle speedometer but 70 mph on the Qlink speedo. I can recalibrate the bicycle one but I'm thinking that I got a speedo intended for an XP. Does it stand to reason that a XP speedometer for 21" wheels on a 17" wheeled XF would show a higher mph than what I am truly traveling? Is anybody else having that wide of a margin between indicated and actual speed?

2. #2 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    For a few months i thought my bike cruizes at 90km/h. On my first long trip (Kunming to Chengdu ~1200 km of nice Chinese roads), I kept missing my planned checkpoints. Checking with the GPS I found I was going 62km/h!!! Oh well, I had my camping gear on. Changing to more street profile tires next time..
    Oh, forgot to mention, I have a Shineray XY200GY-7. Konker 200, i think the original manufacturer is Kinlon? I thought my bike is comparable.

3. #3 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    i think the original manufacturer is Kinlon...
    It's the rebadge Qingqi QM200GY in Canda

4. #4 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Looks like your speedometer is set for a 21" front wheel. Putting a 17" wheel makes it show a faster speed. The math is also consistent with the numbers you gave: 55mph*(21/17) = 68mph

Is there any way to adjust the speedo? On the galaxy XTR it's a digital speedo and it can be tuned with a botton on the underside.

5. #5 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    No way to adjust the speedo, felix. It's driven off the front wheel via cable. There are ratio adjusters available but at a pretty high cost compared to what I can do with the bicycle speedometer. I checked the XP and XF parts list and they show the same part number for the speedometer gear, 37200-SM10-0000 but slightly different numbers in the note section. The XF is F47A-17 and the XP is F47-17A.

6. #6 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Ok, how about seeing if you can open the speedo and make a new piece of paper to go behind the needle, with numbers in different locations? The needle will still be in the same place but you'll have changed the numbers to show correct speed. You can mark a few points of the needle at true tested speed, then figure out where the other numbers go between that.

7. #7 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    - or just simply do what I have done with the Kinlon speedo (which is not very accurate and the numbers cannot be seen anyway if the sun is shining, because of reflections) - just check with a GPS (might not be needed in your case from what Felix said:55mph*(21/17) = 68mph) and mark the relevant speed limits, ie 50 kph, 60kph, 80 kph and 100 kph on the face of the speedo glass withsome paint or nail varnish. Or whatever they are in your area. That's all you really need to check on from time to time, the rest is arse, eyes and ears not speedo.

8. #8 Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Ok, how about seeing if you can open the speedo and make a new piece of paper to go behind the needle, with numbers in different locations? The needle will still be in the same place but you'll have changed the numbers to show correct speed. You can mark a few points of the needle at true tested speed, then figure out where the other numbers go between that.
    Hey! That's a pretty good idea there felix. I have had the speedo open before (can't remember why) so it should pretty easy to do.