Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    I should be picking up my bike tomorrow or next week. I don't have my license now (Testing for part 1 riders test next week) so am hesitant to ride around so no rush to get the bike. So I guess I will just ride my scooter fully illegal for now.

Regarding chinese name. I don't have any official documents showing my chinese name. But when I went to get my driver's license converted from my US license they required a chinese name, with no other verification. Ever since then I have been using my Chinese driver's license as verification of my Chinese name.

Will let you know more when I get my bike.

2. #22 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

3. #23 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Regarding chinese name. I don't have any official documents showing my chinese name. But when I went to get my driver's license converted from my US license they required a chinese name, with no other verification. Ever since then I have been using my Chinese driver's license as verification of my Chinese name.
    I have used my Chinese license as verification of my name, but it didn't help when I purchased my bike. I had to get an official name translation before they would process the registration.

Good luck

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #24 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I have used my Chinese license as verification of my name, but it didn't help when I purchased my bike. I had to get an official name translation before they would process the registration.

Good luck

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Just 20 fen worth regarding Shanghai, MotoKai recently managed to get plated in Shanghai in his own name using some form of document that included both his Chinese and English names -- probably his police household registration document, which does list both names. I do not think MotoKai used the Shanghai Residence Card, which is the best ID for this purpose. So there does seem to be some flexibility.

The problem with the Chinese driver's license is that it is ONLY in Chinese, and does not include your foreign name (in English). So your residence permit, which is only in your foreign name, will not match your driver's license, which is only in Chinese.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    The problem with the Chinese driver's license is that it is ONLY in Chinese, and does not include your foreign name (in English). So your residence permit, which is only in your foreign name, will not match your driver's license, which is only in Chinese.

cheers
    Just checked my 上海市居住证 (shanghai Residence Card) , which does bear both my foreign name and my Chinese name.
    But your suggestion for utilizing the "police household registration document" (referred to as "黄单" I believe, the form which you are supposed to obtain from the police station when you first arrive.) is a good one. Make sure you register both names in the 黄单, which is not automatic. I remember that one time I have to go back to the police station to get a new form with both names recorded.

6. #26 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    There might be the chance you argue that the Passport No on the Residence certificate resembles the Driving License Number. If both made recently with same passport. New passport with new passport number and you are back to square one...

My bike is registered in a mix of Chinese and Foreign Name.
    At the end its always worth a reasonable try, as none of these rules are engraved in stone, its most likely some rubberlike fluffy stuff. (I assume Felix is more adept with these substances)

7. #27 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    I assume Felix is more adept with these substances
    Wait, what???

8. #28 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    You know, just refeering to certain proffessional expierence of yours

Btw. how is relocation to Anfu Lu going? My first apartment was just behind the Arts Theatre - 40sqm roof terrasse on the 16th floor...fond memories, I can tell you!

9. #29 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Oh yeah, i forgot that's what i do! Thank you for the reminder!

Relocation is happening at the end of this month so i should really start looking for a place! I don't suppose your place is still availble? I think it would just about do.

10. #30 Re: New newbie in Shanghai 
    Brice, I picked up bike with the plate and the paperwork seems all in order. My chinese name is on the vehicle registration card. I must say it is very exciting to get the bike and the plate. Now, to finish the course and tests for my license! Love to hear how you find your bike. I will do a report on my bike later.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast