Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: taobao fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 taobao fun 
    I got ripped off by an american online site recently which I tried, having worked out that au/us dollars are about parity and Aus. is a very inflated price market for just about everything.

Eeekbay is getting quite expensive as it becomes mainstream but I have had much excellent service, low costs and very fast, efficient turnaround shipping from Chinese manufacturers on Eeekbay so I decided that's it, I shall try TaoBao!

Not doing very well, looking for archery arrow-cases and bowcases today and trying google translator and IM translator ... so far I have been asked to pay money to sign up (?), found that 'ass mother wants me to buy tickets' (what the hell to I wonder?) and the closest I got was a pink Nike sports bra. Not my size. (are bows or arrows similar to 'tits' in Chinese?)

I shall persevere.

2. #2 Re: taobao fun 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jape,

if you have a brand name in mind, try typing that into taobao in english. very often stuff that carries foreign brands but is nonetheless made in china shows up with the foreign brand in English.

you might also try a more sophisticated translation tool like MDBG or NCIKU.

or ask one of us....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: taobao fun 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    so far I have been asked to pay money to sign up (?).....
    that's not normal, i don't think you sign up a genuie taobao.com site. Windows OS can easliy affected by malware or tricky pop-up ads. If the items is not that private, maybe ask some of your assitant for assitance?

4. #4 Re: taobao fun 
    Thanks td_ref, I don't think it was a hijack, I have got good anti-this and that software, more likely me pressing the wrong button and following the wrong link!
    I will ask if I get any real problems Jeff, thanks. At the moment it is just fun while I prepare for my trip.

5. #5 Re: taobao fun 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi jape,

A) suggest you check with the local Chinese Restaurant nearest to your bush. Maybe native speaker available for help there.

B.1) Otherwise check this: http://taobaofieldguide.com/ That will help to get the first steps.

B.2) Next you need a reputable buying agent, they recommend here: http://taobaofieldguide.com/taobao-guides/taobao-agents

I have no personal expierence with these agents, but know that they buy alot. My wife is a 2 Diamond seller on taobao and
    deals with different agents on regular base, none from Australia so far.

Greetings from within the mess...

6. #6 Re: taobao fun 
    Merci beaucoup M.Andre! I am banned from the local Chinese restaurant because I asked the number one daughter to marry me ... it was misunderstood, they thought I was asking for 'special menu'.

That field guide looks good, I really like the Bruce Lee shirt on the front page, but the laces would catch on my chest hair. I will look more later, thanks. So far using that guide, for arrow cases or boxes I have found spectacle cases and tight black underpants. Hmm, would have matched the pink training bra I found before.

Maybe I should just get a Chinese wife and solve a few other problems as well? There is an advertisement on the front page of this forum but I have been too scared to click on it.

7. #7 Re: taobao fun 
    C-Moto Guru
    Focus on the FAQ for the how to...

For locating the right articles you need better translating then Google or bablefish, the fieldguide thing have recommendations for that as well.

I guess the agent can help even locating the right articles. Otherwise chat up some chinese ladys on ICQ or MSN.
    Last edited by andre555; 10-12-2010 at 09:51 AM.

8. #8 Re: taobao fun 
    DiY is fun. HERE (Join that chinese forum & borrow ideas )
    Mix & match these chinese word: arrow 箭 / bow 弓 / case 箱 / bag 包 in google. TB don't have much choice on this "miniorty hobby". The "miniorty" just find it through their "circle".
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-12-2010 at 09:54 AM.

9. #9 Re: taobao fun 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Just posting this here since Taobao comes up in the search...

Be careful with Taobao.com came across a scam with a real motorcycle dealer who has been a seller on Taobao since 2008, but just opened a motorcycle shop several months ago (he had a blue diamond too). Negotiated a deal on a (legal) brand new motorcycle for a substantial amount of money (RMB) I'm not talking a 125cc or 250cc bike either.

Everything progressed well, until trying to organise the payment. Because of the sum involved we couldn't use a Chinese issued credit card because the dealer didn't want to have to pay the transaction fee. I offered to reimburse for this (e.g add to the price). With the price we had to go to the bank, to make some amendments to the Alipay linked bank account. Done. Then when we wanted to put the money into Alipay the dealer directed us to www.me.alipay.com - seemed odd.

Checked the site, looked convincing, but something didn't add up. Made calls to both Taobao and Alipay (wangwang) and sure enough me.alipay is not Alipay, and has no affiliation with Taobao or Alipay (wangwang). So no guarantees.

In this case, the dealer had a Alipay account too, but wanted the funds placed into this other me.alipay account. When challenged the dealer just said, he needed the funds into the me.alipay account otherwise he couldn't issue the correct tax invoice needed to get the licence plate.

Seems there is a copy of Alipay called "me.alipay" which looks just like Alipay, but has no affiliation. Me.alipay.com is not an escrow type service, meaning funds placed into an me.alipay.com account go directly into a sellers nominated bank account!!! Once that happens you can't get funds back.

After a complaint which both Alipay and Taobao are investigating at the moment, the dealers Taobao shop front have been removed from Taobao, although the dealer is still linked with Taobao. Just cannot see any of his bikes or anything he's selling or trying to sell. We have been advised we will be contacted by Taobao and Alipay at the end of the week long investigation.

You don't have to have completed the purchase on Taobao to make a complaint about a dealer/seller on Taobao.

Just be warned.

10. #10 Re: taobao fun 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I got ripped off by an american online site recently which I tried, having worked out that au/us dollars are about parity and Aus. is a very inflated price market for just about everything.

Eeekbay is getting quite expensive as it becomes mainstream but I have had much excellent service, low costs and very fast, efficient turnaround shipping from Chinese manufacturers on Eeekbay so I decided that's it, I shall try TaoBao!

Not doing very well, looking for archery arrow-cases and bowcases today and trying google translator and IM translator ... so far I have been asked to pay money to sign up (?), found that 'ass mother wants me to buy tickets' (what the hell to I wonder?) and the closest I got was a pink Nike sports bra. Not my size. (are bows or arrows similar to 'tits' in Chinese?)

I shall persevere.
    You can try newbecca.com I ordered headphones there. I think they have garments too. Best thing about the website is their prices. You wont need translation as the website is designed for international shoppers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast