Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey riders...

I have a 2006 Regal Raptor 250. To be honest, I've had mostly large Jap bikes before and the world of Chinese bikes is all new(ish) to me. This bike might be slow, generally old technology, but... I love it. I must admit, it feels like a 'real bike', is basically reliable, sounds great (with mini baffles removed of course) and for the type of roads here in southern Turkey, it suits us just fine.

One issue I have is regarding the fuel it likes. I know the 'book' said use unleaded, but it was never happy with it, from day one. The bike had problems starting, would misfire regularly as you rode along, and the plugs would blacken and need changing every 500km or so. The local mechanic here suggested using LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol) as he had seen a similar story with a 2005 Raptor. I immediately changed to LRP, and from that point on I have had zero problems for 6000km (apart from once when I could only get unleaded, and within an hour the old problems were there).

In this part of Turkey, as from last week, we can't get LRP any more !!! Does anyone know of a solution, or has anyone else out there come across this? I've always put it down to the motor being a bit less refined, hence it was happier with the old LRP, certainly had no problems with using it.

But what do I do now?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. #2 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    G'day TR. Pics and a bit more of an intro would be welcomed.

Is there no 'premium' fuel you could try? Higher octane? Lead basically coated the valve seats and shouldn't affect performance, I am not sure that is really the cause and fix - but as it works for you I am assuming it is the octane booster component doing the job not the lead!

You can get 'octane booster and valve saver' additive and a small bottle does 40 litres of fuel for $10 or thereabouts. I used it for ages in my old car and yes, it did make a difference, goodness knows why. No idea on brands in Turkey of course but Redex is a brand I remember in Europe.

If that fails its down to playing with carby, jets etc. in which case the mechanical types here need to know exact model and year engine variant you have. You might find more info. here already using Honda Rebel and other search tags. Try 'octane' search as well.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    C-Moto Regular
    I don't understand how LRP would work well but regular unleaded would cause black plugs. Black plugs would indicate it's running rich. Have you checked for any restriction in the tube from carbs to air filter, checked the air filter itself, checked that the enrichment circuit (choke) cable is releasing all the way?

I believe the engine in my Hensim 250 is the same design and it runs just fine on unleaded.

4. #4 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    G'day TR. Pics and a bit more of an intro would be welcomed.

Is there no 'premium' fuel you could try? Higher octane? Lead basically coated the valve seats and shouldn't affect performance, I am not sure that is really the cause and fix - but as it works for you I am assuming it is the octane booster component doing the job not the lead!

You can get 'octane booster and valve saver' additive and a small bottle does 40 litres of fuel for $10 or thereabouts. I used it for ages in my old car and yes, it did make a difference, goodness knows why. No idea on brands in Turkey of course but Redex is a brand I remember in Europe.

If that fails its down to playing with carby, jets etc. in which case the mechanical types here need to know exact model and year engine variant you have. You might find more info. here already using Honda Rebel and other search tags. Try 'octane' search as well.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts... The normal unleaded here is 95 octane, but there is 97 too, and only slightly higher cost. Might be worth a try :) Personally I think it's just a mix thing, but canm't convince the mechanic here. He just says these models are just 'like that'... not a lot of help.

5. #5 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
    I don't understand how LRP would work well but regular unleaded would cause black plugs. Black plugs would indicate it's running rich. Have you checked for any restriction in the tube from carbs to air filter, checked the air filter itself, checked that the enrichment circuit (choke) cable is releasing all the way?

I believe the engine in my Hensim 250 is the same design and it runs just fine on unleaded.
    Ok, will have a look at these. Certainly, the air filter is likely to get blocked easily here as it's hot and dry for 8 months, i.e. 35-45C for at least 3 months, and pretty dusty too. Certainly, the choke cable is pretty naff in terms of quality, so that could be part of the problem, but this issue has been like it from the start.

6. #6 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey Jape... What pics and info would help?

7. #7 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    We would enjoy seeing and reading more of where you live and ride, and the bike at work of course. About you, not the problem!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: Regal Raptor 250 : Loves LRP fuel, hates unleaded 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Unleaded
    Saw the word and thought I must be missing some neurons... I clearly remember Leaded fuel being phased out in the early 90's. Where could one still get leaded fuel
    I didn't even bother to lookup LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol)...
    Stumbled upon interesting finds on Leaded fuel, the early days..

"Ethyl" brand leaded gasoline -- tetra-ethyl lead -- loony gas -- one of the world's greatest environmental disasters. Many thousands died, and whole nations were poisoned. General Motors, Standard Oil and the Ethyl Corp. claimed there were no alternatives and that it was just the "price of progress." But there were alternatives.

"Ethyl" brand leaded gasoline versus ethyl alcohol -- which was the best anti-knock additive for gasoline? Three grams of tetra ethyl lead and 15 percent ethyl alcohol both improved a fuel's power. One was cheap, but it was a well known poison. The other was a clean, renewable fuel that helped farmers and kept nations independent of political oil pressures. Dozens of countries were already using ethyl alcohol fuels.
    Just after World War I, American engineers made their choice. Putting profit above public health was nothing new for American industry, but it had never been done on such a massive scale and with such deadly results...
    http://www.radford.edu/~wkovarik/ethylwar/
    Wuka fungao ..