Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Hey everyone,

I posted several weeks ago a message in the classifieds looking for a bike in Kunming, and Slabo helped me out by finding a local biker's phone number.

The guy's name is A Shuai (阿帅) and his shop is on third ring south (or Rixin Lu 日新路) opposite the Higher People's Court (高级人民法院,[gāojírénmínfǎyuàn]). His shop and residence basement are stuffed with Hayabusa, Harleys and so on and he even has a Iron Horse Judge or one of those bikes that dont make sense in China .

I rented a modest 150cc chinese bike that had the advantage to be totally legal and insured. No problem whatsoever for getting my deposit back or anything, so I wanna put a good word for him. I can't guarantee that the guy will find you what you want or for the price you want, but he won't screw you and bring you to other bikes dealers he trusts if he can't help you himself. Only thing, he doesnt speak english (but unlike some locals, his mandarin is pretty clear).

By the way, I wanna thank Slabo and Andre for their help and good advices, too bad we didn't meet again before I left Kunming.

contact A Shuai.JPG

2. #2 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi French Men, glad it worked out!

My mobile got stolen during my trip, so took me a bit to sort it out once I was back...next time in the Big Jing.
    Anyhow, let us know where you have been - Pictures!!!

Cheers
    André

3. #3 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    hi andre

I didn't do all I wanted to do, crappy roads almost all under construction. I followed your advice and reached Lijiang via Panzhihua, and then headed south-west to Tengchong with stops in Yangbi and Lujiang, before going back to Kunming (bike by truck, my by bus, no way I was doing that bad and boring road - the G320 - again). In Kunming, I had 4 or 5 days left, but I poured all the time, just leaving me with an afternoon to ride to Xishan and around. Still, it was nice overall.

Pics to come soon when I take a moment for that :-)

Cheers, let me know when u stop in Beijing

4. #4 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Nice to know you found your way back home, with your phone
    Some pics below of the shop we are talking about. It's a good find, i'll go there to get some work done on the bike soon.

flashy shiny things .. oo

5. #5 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I tried finding the dealership today but all I found were shops for car items. Can you be more specific where the shop is, is it in a side street across from the peoples court? Its kind of a big building

6. #6 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bartez88 View Post
    I tried finding the dealership today but all I found were shops for car items. Can you be more specific where the shop is, is it in a side street across from the peoples court? Its kind of a big building
    It's in the compound with all the repair shops. Go right from the main entrance, then it should be the third small side street on the left. Or just ask for a motorcycle repair shop, it's the only one there.

7. #7 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone, thanks for posting this info. I was planning on renting a motorbike to travel around Yunnan during the Chinese New Year. I have my residence permit but I do not have the local driving license (I have the one from my country). I was wondering how difficult would it be to get around without the local driving license pretending not to speak Chinese if any police stops us or giving some money? Otherwise, how quick can I get the license in Shanghai? Many thanks for the help. Beltran

8. #8 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baidelan View Post
    I was wondering how difficult would it be to get around without the local driving license pretending not to speak Chinese if any police stops us or giving some money?
    Ask yourself, would you drive / ride a motor vehicle in your home country without the proper license / documents?
    Getting really sick and tired about the morons trying to ride / drive illegal in this country..... do a forum search, the d-license topic has been discussed over and over again.

9. #9 Re: Nice and honest dealer in Yunnan, Kunming 
    TB-Racing, you have to admit thatyou can more easily ride illegal in China than in many countries, I know it's the case for mine (France). Obviously that's not true anymore as soon as u get in an accident or something.

that said, I am also annoyed when I hear ppl go "yea I'd like to be legal but it's just too damn complicated", while they didn't even try to get infos. I can just talk abt Beijing but we have here a website for the traffic bureau with an english version with everything explained,an english-speaking employee and a regulation test in 9 available languages. All u need is go there 3 times, or just once to take the test if u get a guy do the (limited) paperwork for you. and also, this issue discussed on this forum already...