Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Protection against theft 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I do like TB's idea though, and will ask my building management if I can install one of those anchors, which surely is at least case hardened, etc....
    G'Day,Bought the LUMA anchor at the Spidi shop (Pubei road) and the ABUS chain was brought over from Germany.The anchor has anti drilling security (steel balls and caps) and is well made: http://store.luma.es/eu/producto.php...lido+Anchor+II
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Nice. Now you just need to get an angle grinder and round off the bolts on the front axle of that beautiful multistrada to be sure you don't walk into your garage one day and find just a front wheel locked to the wall!
    Rear wheel will be locked.... you need a special tool to remove a Duc rear wheel.

2. #12 Re: Protection against theft 
    C-Moto Guru
    You should normally have all the papers of your bike, and it cannot be transferred without the owners ID right. So I doubt a plate (registration) can be lost through theft.

My bike is in a bicycle parking of a hotel with a pretty steep slope and the security room with monitor right next to it. Without disc-lock it will already take at least 2 people to push 200 kg up the slope, with probably 4 people.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #13 Re: Protection against theft 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Rear wheel will be locked.... you need a special tool to remove a Duc rear wheel.
    A grinder?! Just grind through the tire and rim!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

4. #14 Re: Protection against theft 
    C-Moto Senior
    Underground, gated, parking; also my bikes usually kind of hidden behind other cars.

Covered; out of sight, out of mind. It doesn't prevent theft at all but it *might* keep it from being noticed so easily.

I've got a "Steel mate" security device, though the electrical disruptor is not wired, so it's just a noise maker. If I'm close enough the remote will alarm me if the bikes alarm is activated. Of course I don't get a signal in my apartment but if I'm in a bar or restaurant I will know if the alarm goes off.

A Honda (didn't know they made locks) u-bolt lock around the forks and through the front wheel. They may be able to get it off by removing the caliper and cutting the hose, but it's better than nothing.

A 1.5m chain lock through the rear wheel and around something secure which would be difficult enough to cut.

My ol' paw said, "Locks keep honest people honest." and I think preventing most thefts is removing any easy opportunities. I had my bike stolen because it was just sitting on the sidewalk waiting for someone to carry it off. My friends bike was stolen because all it had was a very cheap u-bolt lock which could have been busted with any small hammer. At the same apartment I had a simple but decent quality combination lock and I would often find that the tumblers had been rolled around but never had anybody try to cut it. It was just a little harder to get at so they moved on to another bike.

I also lock my cases even if I don't have anything in there. I don't think vandalism is much of a problem here but I'd be irked to come back to find my bags full of piss or something....

5. #15 Re: Protection against theft 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,Bought the LUMA anchor at the Spidi shop (Pubei road) and the ABUS chain was brought over from Germany.The anchor has anti drilling security (steel balls and caps) and is well made: http://store.luma.es/eu/producto.php...lido+Anchor+IIRear wheel will be locked.... you need a special tool to remove a Duc rear wheel.

Completely : was it you TB-racing I saw with the Duc Multistrada on Nanjing lu (near Plaza 66, going towards JingAn Temple) during the Chinese New Year (this week), wearing a helmet which I think was a Rossi (AGV) helmet ?
    I was on the YBR 250 with my GF on the back and you (maybe) blew past us and traffic like crazy.

6. #16 Re: Protection against theft 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Completely : was it you TB-racing I saw with the Duc Multistrada on Nanjing lu (near Plaza 66, going towards JingAn Temple) during the Chinese New Year (this week), wearing a helmet which I think was a Rossi (AGV) helmet ?
    I was on the YBR 250 with my GF on the back and you (maybe) blew past us and traffic like crazy.
    G'Day,

Sorry to disappoint but have not been anywhere near Shanghai downtown CBD with a car or motorbike for 8+ days and only my son has an AGV Rossi helmet and he can't flat-foot or ride a Ducati just yet......
    Ducati PRC shifted the second Multistrada Pikes Peak Edition in PRC down from the Ducati Beijing shop and someone might have taken the bike for a ride, wasn't my bike for sure.

7. #17 Re: Protection against theft 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Since I was PM'd by a fellow MCM member asking advice and info about locks thought I may as well throw some info here to share despite an older thread.

Kryptonite locks - offer solid variety of locks. Worth looking at the companies website. Kryptonite locks for sale on Taobao.
    The Kryptonite prices vary a little on Taobao, expect to pay around 2000 for the chain lock and about 1000+ for the U lock.

Look for the NYC fughetaboutit chain/lock from Kryptonite

There are also Xena XUL310 U locks which incorporate an alarm 110dB. So plenty loud. The Xena locks are n Taobao but not specifically the XUL310.

Advice:
    Use a combination of two locks, a U lock and a chain lock. The U lock through one wheel to the frame while the chain lock to the other end of the bike and through a solid object/ground anchor.

Also there are chain locks at my local B&Q, 289 kuai. Masterlock I think is the name, I use one on my Dragstar 1100 Classic, in combination with a disc lock.

Worth a read:
    ask-a-motorcycle-thief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12