Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Gas in Shanghai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    I got an scooter with no license plates and have been denied gas on numerous occasions from large state owned gas stations (I am assuming it is because I do not have plates). Where do I need to go to get gas in Shanghai (French Concession)? There are plenty of bikes without license plates and they must be getting gas from a smaller, private gas station of some sort. Can anyone help?

2. #2 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I've never seen a private or underground filling station in Shanghai. As others have noted recently in this forum, there is a general crackdown providing fuel for unplated bikes or bikes with plates from outside of Shanghai. Not sure if this would apply to cars from other cities, but I doubt it. Seems pretty unfair. But this is China.

You also cannot fill a container at a filling station, as they'll assume you are up to some nefarious plot.

You'll just need to ask around and find out where the vast posse of lawless scooter riders in Jiaoji Lu get their fuel.

Or get a legal bike, which seems to be what the government wants.

I see this is your first post. How about telling us about yergoodself and what you are doing in the endless city?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    In Shanghai studying until December and decided to get a bike to be more nimble in the city. Turns out that Im not so nimble with an empty tank! Scooter has been a great way to get around till now.

Getting a legit bike is pretty much out of the option given my time constraints, but am still looking for a place to fill up if anyone has any ideas.

4. #4 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by tfc View Post
    In Shanghai studying until December and decided to get a bike to be more nimble in the city. Turns out that Im not so nimble with an empty tank! Scooter has been a great way to get around till now.

Getting a legit bike is pretty much out of the option given my time constraints, but am still looking for a place to fill up if anyone has any ideas.
    i can assure some of your smart classmate can come up with a creative solution there, don't under estimate the locals.
    td

5. #5 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Having the same trouble getting gas. Till I find a place in Shanghia that'll sell me gas, I went out to the suburbs and filled up a 5 gallon container. Told them it was for a lawn mower. Should last me for a while.

6. #6 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by SHMike View Post
    Having the same trouble getting gas. Till I find a place in Shanghia that'll sell me gas, I went out to the suburbs and filled up a 5 gallon container. Told them it was for a lawn mower. Should last me for a while.
    Howdy SHMike, welcome to MCM.

Hopefully that 5 gallons doesn't last too long, the gas here will go stale after about 60 days. I always have a can in the garage for my dirt bike and have been surprised at how nasty the stuff gets after 4-6 weeks.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    I usually see the scooter kids hanging around the corner from the gas station looking for the bigger kids with IDs to buy for them (something reminiscent of my teenage years hanging around the am/pm minimart trying to buy beer).

8. #8 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Hopefully that 5 gallons doesn't last too long, the gas here will go stale after about 60 days. I always have a can in the garage for my dirt bike and have been surprised at how nasty the stuff gets after 4-6 weeks.
    Cheers!
    ChinaV
    http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
    Can't you buy this stuff or similar fuel stabiliser all over China? http://www.bjtc.net/
    I use it for waterpumps/mowers and similar that are not often used or laid up over a season. And for my emergency 20 litre can. Good to use because it stops the breakdown of the organics even in the carbies/hoses etc.

I have been told that a touch of synthetic 2 stroke mix oil in your 4 stroke gas tank will do the same. I can say from long practise over the years of having to drain all the tools to get enough fuel to go into town that it does work OK in the 4 stroke engine, but not sure if that method protects/improves as Stabil does.

9. #9 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Hmm, good point. Didn't think about that. Will give fuel stabilizer a try...or after a month, sell the remaining gas to the scooter kids around the corner. :)

Could always syphon gas from a car. Or just wait outside a Lawson and take the cars of people running in a for a pack of smokes. :) Not sure if anyone has figures but you have to wonder at the number of cars being stolen when drivers still leave the vehicles running and the doors unlocked.

Seriously though, see 4 CJ's and a handful of gas scooters in my building parking. Will try to find the owners and see about setting up a little fuel depot.

10. #10 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    I've just moved to shanghai and my CJ contacts here are telling me that the sidecars are not having problems buying pertol, even with outside plates.

I cannot give any first hand info as my CJ is still in suzhou and i will go back to get it next week. I will let you know of my successes and failures as they come. Should it be easy enough, i'm not adverse to helping someone out by going to fill up a tank for them, the CJ easily holds 120rmb worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast