Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Gas in Shanghai

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    Was talking to some CJ owners yesterday and they said they were not having any problems getting fuel. I filled up my Suzhou plated bike at the gas station on Yanan (just before it turns into the 318) 2 days ago. The station on Gudai near the 320 was good also two days before that.

2. #12 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    Okay so the law as I hear it.... and I have asked everyone including police, is that outside or no plate motorcycles and scooter cannot be legally refilled at gas stations in Shanghai within (once again) the outer ring (A20). However many stations still fill up because they are not cops and don't care so much. There are creative(illegal) ways to get around this. The attendants only need to look down and see that "hu" symbol (sorry my computer doesn't type chinese) they are not going to ask to see you blue books and run them through the computers. Anyone with a nice printer and some magnetic tape could come up with a slap on "solution". Also I have spied a car near Kele lu filling up a row of fuel cans in the trunk of his red buick 3 door. He must have paid the attendant to allow him to fill'em up. (he was actually filling not the attendant). I think he is a refueling station but I am not sure where in the city he "deals"... Dealing fuel on the street is kinda Mad Max like huh!
    As far as three wheelers are conserned, they are exempt because they are not motorcycles. Offically they are 3 wheel cars (hence the ability to go on the elevated rds)

3. #13 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    Haven't had any problems with this still (fingers crossed). I would highly caution messing with your plate though. If you get controlled with outside plates in Shanghai its much easier to play dumb than if you have fake plates.

4. #14 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Haven't had any problems with this still (fingers crossed). I would highly caution messing with your plate though. If you get controlled with outside plates in Shanghai its much easier to play dumb than if you have fake plates.
    I agree that messing with ones plate is not always wise, however if one was to perhaps use some creative ideas to print HU 户 on thin white cardboard then cut it out and perhaps apply it with some double sided tape to some blue duck-tape and apply the said combination to the plate just before entering the fuel station (and then again on exiting after having gained the fuel), then chances are things would go pretty smoothly.
    One could also have a local sign writing company knock out the required character onto some blue computer cut vinyl at just the right size. If that was to prove difficult, then just go and buy a small square of the vinyl and use the printed out character or use an overhead projector and the HU 户 character as a stencil and cut it out by hand. It's so easy to do.
    One could be slightly more creative and apply the character to a thin piece of Perspex and use Velcro to apply the character combination more easily when needed. - Just an idea... I've not experienced any issues on getting petrol in any of my travels with my Ningbo plated motorcycles or car, and was up in Hangzhou last week on my Jetmax visiting CFMoto Company (report to come) and rode through the areas where motorcycles are banned, I also stopped for petrol while there - no problem.

Since I mention CFMoto, I should state that the whole visit was great. Very clean, organised, professional looking site. Very tidy and well laid out assembly lines (4 assembly lines in total). 20% of the staff are dedicated to R&D and technical innovation, and all technical employee's wear a clean uniform (pants/shirt) with CFMoto screen printed on the shirt, meanwhile the admin people wore nice suits - impressions count! The CFMoto show room and display was huge and also a great design, featuring a rockery display for the ATV's and UTV's on display. A complete range of what CFMoto manufactured bikes, ATV's and UTV's were on display, though the new 800cc twin cylinder cruiser was not, which was a shame (from my point of view), fortunately their new 650 twin sport bike was. Both these models (650 and 800) will be released and for sale shortly after the Chinese New Year 2011. The 650 that I did get to see, was a revelation with some interesting design elements.
    The whole CFMoto site was a reassuring visit, and my comparison with Geely motorcycle manufacturing site in Taizhou was like chalk and cheese. As stated, I will do a post of my visit with photos elsewhere on this site.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-04-2010 at 03:06 AM.

5. #15 Re: Gas in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ...f one was to perhaps use some creative ideas to print HU 户 on thin white cardboard then cut it out and perhaps apply it with some double sided tape to some blue duck-tape and apply the said combination to the plate just before entering the fuel station (and then again on exiting after having gained the fuel), then chances are things would go pretty smoothly.
    One could also have a local sign writing company knock out the required character onto some blue computer cut vinyl at just the right size. If that was to prove difficult, then just go and buy a small square of the vinyl and use the printed out character or use an overhead projector and the HU 户 character as a stencil and cut it out
    Bostik Blu-tack is the "partner" to these creative plate. | Keyword "蓝丁" in taobao.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12