Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: KLR 650

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: KLR 650 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Mixgixxer,

Welcome to the forum, and I heartily agree with all the (good) things that Lao Jia Huo said about me. As for KLRs, I'm not sure where you go the idea that there are "new KLRs" available here inside the grannystate, where the state and the state alone knows what motorcycle is best for you. I've seen only one KLR650 in my 21 years in China, and that was in this youku clip. They are extremely, extremely rare, and if you managed to find one now you'd have a challenge getting it registered and licensed.

As noted in a separate post to newcomer frenchman, it takes a bit of an attitude calibration to come from any other motorcycling country, Thailand included, and adjust to China. It's one of the great adventure riding countries on the planet, still largely unexplored (partly due to all the restrictions on bikes), and filled with crazy shit you won't see anywhere else.

But you probably will not be seeing China from the seat of a KLR650!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: KLR 650 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the info.

I think I might have confused this bike with a JL600... they look like the easiest option for a long distance bike. I am looking forward to getting a ride and heading out of the cities to see what I can see. Have to upgrade with some cold weather gear...Thailand style jacket will not cut it.

Michael

Welcome to the forum, and I heartily agree with all the (good) things that Lao Jia Huo said about me. As for KLRs, I'm not sure where you go the idea that there are "new KLRs" available here inside the grannystate, where the state and the state alone knows what motorcycle is best for you. I've seen only one KLR650 in my 21 years in China, and that was in this youku clip. They are extremely, extremely rare, and if you managed to find one now you'd have a challenge getting it registered and licensed.

As noted in a separate post to newcomer frenchman, it takes a bit of an attitude calibration to come from any other motorcycling country, Thailand included, and adjust to China. It's one of the great adventure riding countries on the planet, still largely unexplored (partly due to all the restrictions on bikes), and filled with crazy shit you won't see anywhere else.

But you probably will not be seeing China from the seat of a KLR650!

cheers![/QUOTE]

3. #13 Re: KLR 650 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    The JH600 is a good choice for what you are proposing. It's about 32,000 rmb new. Not a ton of other choices for that displacement, price and "registerability".

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: KLR 650 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    FYI - here is a bike advertised as a KLR650 in Beijing ... just popped up today.

http://bj.58.com/danche/5168941610881x.shtml

I know nothing about the KLR650, so I can't comment on whether it looks like a real one, but the price seems reasonable (16500) if it is real, and if it is in good condition.

For sure, however, it would NOT be a bike that you could register, plate & insure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12