Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: KLR 650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 KLR 650 
    C-Moto Noob
    I am new to this forum, but have appreciated reading your insights and joys of having bikes in China.

Anyone know about any KLR 650's available in China? Alternatively, can they be imported by a foreigner, and then taken back out when one leaves? Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ric

2. #2 Re: KLR 650 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome, Ric.

Ahh, another KLRista! Though I've seen a video of a Chinese guy on a KLR650 riding in China, I've never seen one in the wild, and frankly don't expect to. None of the Japanese majors has opened up distribution in China, apart from joint ventures or licensing deals for their smaller bikes, particularly Honda and Suzuki. Any bigger Japanese bikes you see typically are sport bikes, and those are usually smuggled or otherwise lacking in legal pedigree. I have a friend with a very nice 1993 Africa Twin, but really it's rare to see a large-bore dual sport in China apart from BMWs, which are pretty common and really expensive due to the 100% import duty.

All of which is why several of us opted for the Jialing JH600, which is the biggest-bore "modern" production bike in China, and a pretty good one at that. Search this forum for JH600 and you'll see what I mean.

As for importing your KLR, it's virtually impossible to import any second-hand bike into China these days, though there are some provisions for riders who are traversing China on their way elsewhere. But even this is complicated, and not a sure thing.

If you are moving to China on a long-term basis (longer than 6 months), you are probably best off buying and registering a Chinese bike here, though many cities are not very bike friendly these days. Let us know a bit more about your plans, and you'll surely get the answers you need.

Where are you now?

And, yes, to reiterate your own comment, there certainly are joys to be had with a motorcycle here. Soon you'll be an expert too.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: KLR 650 
    C-Moto Noob
    THanks for the response. Will keep searching - also will check out the JH 600.

Been in CHina for 6 years now - puttsing around on a Super Sherpa 250 - as well as driving a JAC minivan :) I enjoy driving here.

Live in Tianjin with family of 5. Biking experience includes (20 years ago) V45 Magna - all over the US - FL to Vancouver and back; Honda CR & XR 250's, and now the Super Sherpa.

haven't been too serious about getting one here - but increasingly would like to take some trips out west before we would ever leave here. Thanks again for your input!

Ric

4. #4 Re: KLR 650 
    Hi Ric welcome to the forum! What's wrong with the super sherpa for doing a west china tour?

5. #5 Re: KLR 650 
    C-Moto Noob
    FElix - the sherpa has small electrical and starter issues - it's on the smaller side for me, let alone bringing one of the kids or my wife. and it's not legal :)

6. #6 Re: KLR 650 
    Fair enough, the JH600 may be closer to what you're looking for then, especially if you want to be 100% legal! A few of the guys on the forum here seem to be very happy with it!

7. #7 Re: KLR 650 
    C-Moto Noob
    Euphonius...I am moving to Tianjin in August. What do these KLR650's cost new...and maybe a year or two old?

Must serious abuse my GSXR600 before I leave Thailand. All advice appreciate. Thanks mixgixxer

8. #8 Re: KLR 650 
    Read the thread again mate. KLR - no, JH600 yes BMW yes. Prices elsewhere in forum, a few threads have the information. Try a search please and get back to us after some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by mixgixxer View Post
    Euphonius...I am moving to Tianjin in August. What do these KLR650's cost new...and maybe a year or two old?

Must serious abuse my GSXR600 before I leave Thailand. All advice appreciate. Thanks mixgixxer
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: KLR 650 
    Welcome to the forum.

10. #10 Re: KLR 650 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I did a quick search of some classified sections in Northern China and could not find any KLRs listed. I have only ever seen one KLR in Beijing (not a legal bike).

If you are moving to Tianjin, you'll be happy to learn that there is a large used bike market in Tianjin. Many Beijing bikers head there (only 30 minutes by high speed train) to look for cheaper prices & a better selection than found in Beijing. However, I've heard from some people who recently visited the TJ market that prices have risen substantially, and the sellers are not too willing to negotiate. Almost all the bikes in the TJ market are unlicensed.

Think twice about getting a "rare" import. Aside from the bike probably not being legal, parts may be hard to find and getting service at most of the shops is not recommended. The "mechanics" would be very happy to work on a KLR since it would be an exciting learning experience for them, almost certainly having never seen one before. They`d love to experiment on your new bike.

I think a JH600 is a good idea, if you`re into the KLR-type of bike. Euphonius owns both - after you arrive here, buy him a beer (or ten), and he`ll provide a wealth of info. He`s one of the resident MCM Chinese people, but looks like a foreigner and speaks pretty good English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast