Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 New Girl in the Group! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    Hey all,

i'm Ekki, been in China for over 5 years, now living in Beijing..
    Spent a year and a half in Lanzhou, where i spent quite a bit of time riding on the back of my friends dual-sport bike out into the mountains and different parts of the Yellow River..
    obviously, i fell in love.
    now that I'm back in Beijing, i'm looking to learn how to ride myself, and get a bike of my own.
    Will probably stick to a dual-sports / supermotard as i like the look, lightness and flexibilty of them. i reckon if i dropped a sports bike, there'd be no chance on earth that i'd be able to lift the thing back up!
    anyway, bikes that i've been looking at are the Yamaha WR250X (but i've been told that the seat might be a bit too high for me), and the Yamaha XT250X..
    dunno if i should consider Chinese made bikes, as i've been told that they are often of poor build quality, but the cheaper prices are definitely quite attractive!

anyhow, that's all from me i guess. happy to be here, nice to meet you all! :)

2. #2 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Welcome to the gang Ekkicore . I'm sure you will find some nice folks to help out up in Beijing. Sometimes not a bad idea to pic up an inexpensive 125cc bike to get started on. You can drop it a few times and not feel bad about breaking stuff, as China moto parts are pretty cheap.

Be careful, once you get started, there's no turning back, this usually becomes a lifetime habit

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    there`s a biker meeting tomorrow in Beijing, Poker Run, meeting at Jim`s Shop 9:00, riding bikes and meet at Frank`s Place around 15:00( Chaoyang Area). welcome to join in and meet people.
    Sabine

4. #4 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    thanks for your replies guys!

i'll take your advise into consideration when i finally buy my baby.. :) only thing is that i'm afraid if i buy anything less than a 250cc, i'll outgrow it and will have to spend more money on a new bike!
    from the research i've done, many people seem happy both learning on and keeping a 250cc..
    anyway i've posted some pics of the bike that made me fall in love with motorcycles and riding, in the dual-sports bike thread :)

i've got a pretty busy day tomorrow, and i'm not sure of where those places are that you mentioned, but otherwise i'd definitely join in!

hope someone in beijing will be kind enough to give me some advise on here.. :)

thanks again!

5. #5 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Ah yes... I see you have have fallen for the lovely QingQi QM200 Motard. That's a great choice for a first motorcycle, it's based on the Suzuki DR200. Pretty solid bike for a decent price, and widely available here in China. There is also a 250cc version that will be available in China before the end of the year.

I just came back from the ChongQing motorcycle show, and will be posting a massive amount of photos showing many of the bikes available here. There are quite a few options for decent China bikes now.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with choosing a new bike. That QingQi looks good!
    Is that you in the profile photo? What kind of music do you DJ? Techno/house or is there something else current since I last went into a club? Just got Nick Curly 'aymara', I use it for meditation. Being a totally politically incorrect and fearless older man I shall have no hesitation in buying a double scotch and a good cigar and drooling in front of you when I come to China for a bike ride next year.
    jape

7. #7 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    C-Moto Noob
    you can always lower a bike always maybe not as low as you neeed like i have 32" inseem so i lowered my bike to 31 3/4 get it there is an adjustment ring on rear shock that comes off the swing arm i have 2800 km on my 2009 xf200 bought it for 2300usd welded on after market fmf shorty pipe to improve exhaust flow gor rid of big ugly stuff on the rear end and you can put som ktm decals i got free from ktm and fisher price my first moto was born and i love it i blew out the alternator but easy fix