Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    I totally agree with everything you've said. the reason why i say that there's method to the madness, is that most times, chinese drivers can be rather predictable. you KNOW they're gonna force you to yield to them, that they'll cut you off unexpectedly, or just pretend they don't see you. vietnam was a whole different ballgame!
    i think what they meant by trying a scooter first is that you can learn to ride a manual one and get the hang of the gear changing, as i think manual scooters don't have clutch? after getting a hang of gear changing, then throw in the clutch to the combo on a real bike and it'll be easier to manage..
    anyway, different strokes for different folks!
    excited to be going to zhejiang, the place i'm going is a small little town, my friends hometown actually, so there should be plenty of perfect places to learn!
    beijing isn't too bad right now, evening out at a nice 8c, but after the rain it's supposed to drop like another 10c, with the possibility of snow next week..
    thanks for the birthday wishes! yup, oct 21 :)
    what's it like riding in shanghai? i lived there for two years when i first came to china, but fell in love with beijing so moved up here instead.
    i've never noticed bikes in shanghai, apart from on that elevated road on the way to hongqiao airport.. i remember envying how they were speeding along, zigzaging through the traffic, whilst all i could do was sit in the back of my taxi and pray i wouldn't miss my flight.. haha

2. #12 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    ...i lived there for two years when i first came to china...
    IF recognized enough written charcter, this out of print "manga" written by Japanese ex-GP racer for "new biker" is a MUST read.
    My Advice: DON'T touch "workhorse" bike that w/ rotary gear pattern ( 5>1 by accident is suicidal ) UNTIL u're REAL biker.

3. #13 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    sorry, i'm not sure i completely understand what you're trying to say.. could you please explain?

4. #14 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    sorry, i'm not sure i completely understand what you're trying to say.. could you please explain?
    Standard: 1-N-2-3-4-5
    Rotary : N> 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > N > 1... This DAMN thing is first found in some Taiwanese smuggled bike. Everyone copies this S*** | (OLD cg125 is non-rotary N-1-2-3-4 )
    Can't find this topic in English / NO one dares put this "suicidal" in full size bike expect "chinese" The traslated article
    Hi-speed 5>1 = out of control
    If can ride a push bike + drive a "stick" car/ Learn by a scooter is not necessary.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-24-2010 at 03:33 AM.

5. #15 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Welcome Ekki !

Looking forward to meet and out. Maybe you can be DJ at our next biker meeting
    Andy

6. #16 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    You may not need a 250cc you look to be very light, I have dual sport and I got it because I am so tall and I like the view for the higher seat, but if your short you actually cannot ride mine. You would not be able to touch the ground.

If I was you and in china I would look at the Qingqi 125cc tracker. I love that little bike but I am to big for it, but you would fit on it perfect.

Then there is also the Galaxy SUV which is also very cool.

Look at how cool it looks in these pictures.

7. #17 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    This is also very cool

8. #18 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Anyone know how much for the Galaxy SUV 250? It's the closest I can find in China to a TW200, other than the real smuggled TW200's out there..
    The only thing I don't like is the small tank.

9. #19 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Hi Ekki, welcome to the forum! Those yamahas you're looking at are good bikes, but just remember buying second hand japanese bikes here in china can be really hit and miss. You might get a good deal, but there's also a distinct possibility that the bike was crashed and will be plagued with problems. If that's the case it can be a nightmare to get parts for it and find a good mechanic to work on it.

In china it makes a lot of sense to ride a chinese built bike, not just because they're cheaper, but also because the technology is a lot simpler so most mechanics will be able to 'help'. And parts are way easier to get.

That 200 Qingqi that you fell in love with a pretty good option. It's based on proven suzuki technology and many people on this forum seem happy with it. As ChinaV mentioned there's a 250 version coming out soon if you're patient enough. I ride the Galaxy XTR 250 motard and love it, but i tried ChinaV's Qingqi and think it's a better bike. The engine is counter-balanced which makes it a lot smoother, and the seat is a bit lower too. If you can wait for the 250 Qingqi, i'd say get that! If you can't wait, the 200 should be plenty of fun anyway!

I listened to your stuff on soundcloud, love your style! Got any gigs in shanghai coming up?

10. #20 Re: New Girl in the Group! 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Anyone know how much for the Galaxy SUV 250? It's the closest I can find in China to a TW200, other than the real smuggled TW200's out there..
    The only thing I don't like is the small tank.
    Closet to TW200 is Zongshen ZS200GY/LZX200GY-2. The engine are clone from Yamaha, but the rear wheel's size .... / ZS parts are nightmare to get.
    Galaxy SUV 250: Y9800 + Shipping from factory. Based on a doemstic Honda FTR: http://www.honda.co.jp/news/1986/2860221.html

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast